• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Backstreet Boys - As Long As You Love Me Mixes

Started by Joshua, May 28, 2013, 05:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

Everyone's aware of the two different main mixes of this song right? There's the video/single version, and what I know to be the album/LP version. Now, in my mind, and I've felt this way since I was 13, the album version is completely lackluster compared to the single mix. It has fewer production elements, the mix sounds off, the instrumentation sounds light on and almost demo-like in places, and it's missing some vocal ad libs. Then you have the single/video version with a much richer mix, many more layers and instruments (more pad/strings, rhythm acoustic guitar is stronger, piano bass notes in the intro etc) and the extra vocal parts. The mid instrumental is also edited down. So, where I become quite confused is with this story that seems to be known amongst Backstreet fans. Here's the version from Wikipedia:

QuoteDue to an error on the part of someone in the production chain, an early mix of "As Long As You Love Me" was included on the re-release 1997 US Backstreet Boys album, but not on Backstreet's Back. The original release of the US debut album had the "LP Version" included. But once the album was re-released, the "Video Version" was included on the album. This allegedly annoyed writer and producer Max Martin. This version subsequently became the version released as a single to radio and video. It has different instrumentation and mixing, as well as a slightly different structure, very similar to their previous US single, "Quit Playin' Games (With My Heart)".

Surely this can't be the case! The only possibility I can see is that the original album version was the early mix, which made it onto both the US and international album, annoying Max. They then rectified the problem by releasing the proper track for the single and video, as well as the re-release of the US album. Why would it be that somehow the wrong mix only ended up on a later re-release in the US, and why would it be that Max would strip half of his mix away for the final version.

Does anyone know anymore about this? There seems to be this consensus that the album version is superior, which I find hard to believe Max would agree with.

Here are the two versions for reference...

Album/LP version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SSy5yeA5eo

Single/Video version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPsYnnRtjVo

Raul_esp

Ohh , it's interesting  I always listened the album version , it's most familiar for me.