• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Katy Perry - WITNESS album (incl. Bon Appétit & Chained To The Rhythm)

Started by melodicmoonlight, July 15, 2016, 05:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Steady

Vila i frid Dag

onepass

B Steady

Quote from: onepass on July 03, 2017, 10:04:09 PM
You are biased AF.  The album blew chunks.

Thank you for your constructive comment.
However I'm wondering how I am biased if I like songs from writers/producers I barely knew before.
Vila i frid Dag

onepass

Quote from: B Steady on July 03, 2017, 10:10:37 PM
Thank you for your constructive comment.
However I'm wondering how I am biased if I like songs from writers/producers I barely knew before.

I would have to re-listen to the entire album just so that I could get into a position where I could be constructive. I'm in Simon Cowell mode, Honestly, The album was so pitiful that I erased it from memory. Regardless of producer(s), distributor, entertainer, writer(s), or of what name is on the packaging; The. album. blew. chunks.

There is no other option but for you to be biased.

nanofives

It's not bias, it's a different perception, if you don't like it it doesn't mean everyone else will, Simon Cowell missed a lot of times too.
In my case I can tell I'm biased by Max, the album didn't call my attention but Max's songs (mostly) are stuck in my head.

I love how no one likes save as draft in this pool, and yet it's still the next single, lol.

j.fco.morales

The album is not up to her standards.

Boring melodies, the tracks are average, pointless songwriting -lots of weird comparisons, LOTS- and is a miss to my tastes.

Being someone like her, she could have curate something different. Katy is this enviable position in her career: a well built fanbase and label support.
There's a lot of people doing great music that would die to work with her. She can do whatever she wants.

The album is focused on the tracks, not on the songs. Seems like all these songs are written over a beat, which is a pop industry standard and also the reason why the album doesn't work as a whole.

The main problem here is the songwriting: she should have work with songwriters insted of producers.
First: write the songs. SAY SOMETHING. After that arrange and produce the songs, trying to match your vision for the songs with the right producer.

In the Ross Golan podcasts, Bonnie McKee said she and Katy were "not close".
Maybe that's why they didn't write together for this project. Actually, lots of the writing in Teenage Dream and Prism are stories that already happened, Katy and Bonnie together.
And you kinda feel that honesty through the songs.
That's what I don't feel on Witness.

melodicmoonlight

I find it pretty interesting and also kind of strange that the reception to Witness is so polarized.

I enjoy the album a lot. I don't think the melodies are weak; the sound is a departure from her past music but the melodies are still there: Witness, Hey Hey Hey, Roulette, Miss You More, Power, Deja Vu, Bon Appetite, CTTR. That's half the album. The production is new for her, but I like it. Mind Maze, Tsunami- these kind of songs have a clear purpose. The mixing of self-reflection and coming to terms with life's inconsistencies... I don't see how this album is dishonest. If anything this is as direct as she has been. Save as Draft. Into Me You See- the personal, relationship side to her. Bon Appetite, of course the one necessary sexy/raunchy song which still sounds amazing to me, Swish Swish, the sassy song.

I don't know what else people would want? Sure the Max tracks don't sound like typical Max. One thing that got me on board was hearing Katy's explanations. Hearing about where she was when she made this album, how she's evolved and is still evolving, kind of not giving a fuck about it. That's refreshing for a pop star.

Idk what I'm trying to say other than I'm amazed how some of you abhor the album when to me it is really not bad- in fact it's great.

j.fco.morales

B Steady

Déjà Vu, Mind Maze and Pendulum are three of her most interesting songs, love these songs. Especially the first two ones create such a special atmosphere, you can get lost in them. It's like diving into a new world.
Vila i frid Dag

Adam B

Holy crap, a couple of beers and I´ve been playing Chained To The Rhythm all night.. Is it a grower??

nanofives

The song is registered in ASCAP and it's written by Benj Pasek and Justin Noble Paul. I don't know who they are.

turnaround

They are the writers of the musical and also from "The Greatest Showman".

On April 29, 2017, I went and saw Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway, and was emotionally transformed forever. In my own life, I've struggled with depression, and like so many, always feeling alone in the battle of wanting to belong.

That night, I was particularly struck by the song "Waving Through A Window." It embodied the mental isolation I sometimes fought. So when my friends @benjpasek and @justinpaulmusic came to me and asked if I would like to re-record this song, not only to help launch the national tour, but to continue the conversation on mental health and all its complexities, I jumped right in.
I hope this song helps you know that you are not alone, and that I'm waving back at you.
And I liked it..

j.fco.morales

Quote from: turnaround on November 01, 2018, 05:57:56 PM
They are the writers of the musical and also from "The Greatest Showman".

On April 29, 2017, I went and saw Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway, and was emotionally transformed forever. In my own life, I've struggled with depression, and like so many, always feeling alone in the battle of wanting to belong.

That night, I was particularly struck by the song "Waving Through A Window." It embodied the mental isolation I sometimes fought. So when my friends @benjpasek and @justinpaulmusic came to me and asked if I would like to re-record this song, not only to help launch the national tour, but to continue the conversation on mental health and all its complexities, I jumped right in.
I hope this song helps you know that you are not alone, and that I'm waving back at you.

Quote by Katy Perry, BTW.