• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

midi question

Started by royeei, January 12, 2013, 08:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

royeei

Hi,
first i want to say that i am a beginner,  i know that in audio, producers used to record left and right for creating stereo , and from my  little experience it is indeed make it better and bigger, now what i want to ask is, when i use midi, is there any justification to record left and right? or the midi is already stereo ?

thanks   

pete729

Usually it's stereo cause producers use midi mostly for synths. In Pro Tools however when you create a new midi/instrument track you can choose between midi and stereo. Personally, I prefer stereo for synths and drums and mono for bass

Joshua

Hi royeei, I think what pete meant is that midi sounds are both mono and stereo, which is totally correct! I don't know if this helps, but try to think of it this way: Your synth/keyboard has mono and stereo sounds which you could play in over audio leads and record just like other instruments. With midi, you're just recording the data from your keyboard (which notes you play, how long you hold them down etc.) Once you're happy with your midi data, you then need to re-record the sounds from your keyboard/synth in as audio. If you're using a synth instrument plug-in instead, you just bounce the instrument track to an audio track and it will essentially do the same thing.

If the midi sound you used was mono, you could record it in as mono audio (just like if you recorded any other mono instrument). If the sounds are stereo, obviously you'd need to record both channels. A midi data track allows you to pan your individual sounds anywhere from left to right in the mix, and if you do this, you will have to record the resulting audio in stereo.

I would recommend just recording all synths as stereo as a starting rule of thumb, that way if the source is mono or stereo it will still sound correct. String and pad sounds are usually always stereo, and some synths will also have stereo effects on them (like reverb or delay), that you will have to record in as stereo for full effect.

I hope I haven't confused you at all, let me know if you want anymore help. :)