• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

real instruments

Started by nznexus, May 03, 2013, 02:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nznexus

im just wondering....

but if u are making songs, is it better to use real instruments and record dthem into protools or use plugins that simulate the instruments?

what im wondering about is that on many albums that max martin wrote there been lots of peiople who played live instruments.. and so on.

what u think? can u make a song that sounds good without any instruments just synts?

i think its very expensive to record a whole orchestra... if u produce at home i mean.

its hard to play the guitar if u are not skilled, u need to keep the tempo.

but its easy to write down everything in the grid and quantize everything.. if u know..
music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.

B Steady

If you're a poor, unknown but talented guy you can make great music only with plugins / keyboard sounds.

If you're a rich, famous and talented guy you better use real instruments or at least good musicians ;D

However, it depends ... If you want to make the next club hit, you won't use real instruments, because nobody in the club is asking for them ;)
Vila i frid Dag

nznexus

there is samples out there, that have been taked from real trumpets, guitars and put into something like kontakt or nexus.

but im just wondering if they are useful?

music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.

B Steady

of course they're useful, especially when you don't have the money and talent to use real instruments ;)
Vila i frid Dag

Joshua

It really depends on the instrument, some sample brilliantly, some terribly. Drums you can get away with 100%, in fact a lot of studios re-edit their drum tracks using pre-made samples to get them sounding cleaner. Brass instruments aren't too bad either, pianos are getting there, but the worst I've experienced is guitars. I bought an expensive guitar sample pack (about $600), and while it sounded fine, it was impossible to get the strumming action anything close to realistic with a midi controller, so it sounded pretty stupid and I ended up going back to having friends come and play guitars for me. Bass you can probably get away with a bit more, but still you'll be missing some of the necessary guitar playing action.

turnaround

What I always love is when I read that the Cheiron guys used real instruments.

The Stockholm Session Orchestar is almost used at every Cheiron-Track Westlife did.

But I guess it's really expensive to book the whole orchestra and you rather do many songs at the same time or share the time with other producers?

Back then they had many cuts on the albums I guess it was easier to achieve.

Steve Mac uses also real strings/orchestra.

Some German producers use a Czech orchestra guess it's cheaper. (For example Juliette Schoppmann's track - I still believe)

And I liked it..

growapear

It really depends on the genre of pop you're doing - like B Steady said, if it's a track made for the club you really aren't going to need any natural sounds in there.

But, for example, Max & Shellback's songs on Taylor Swift's 'Red' album are played with real acoustic and electric guitars that they then heavily edit, and it sounds great. The main line in 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' is so bright-sounding and clean, I don't think it would be possible to have done that using guitar samples. They always seem to be the absolute worst for sample sounds, it always ends up sounding staccato and picky !

Most of my favourite songs that Max, Luke etc. write always have a mix of plug-in samples and real instruments - Avril Lavigne is another good example.

In my opinion I would always want at least one real instrument in my track to "ground" the whole thing, if you know what I mean?! After I've edited the recording it can still then sound quite sampled and electronic but it has a certain element that you can't get without a real instrument.

I also think it's always good to display the talent of being able to play an instrument if you can incorporate it into your songs, but that could just be me being  naïve as I'm sure an A&R doesn't care how a song was created if the end product sounds good !

I'd like to think that if a Dr. Luke, Max or Shellback heard one of my tracks they would appreciate the use of real instruments, being performers themselves :)

nznexus

Quote from: growapear on May 07, 2013, 03:27:56 PM

But, for example, Max & Shellback's songs on Taylor Swift's 'Red' album are played with real acoustic and electric guitars that they then heavily edit, and it sounds great. The main line in 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' is so bright-sounding and clean, I don't think it would be possible to have done that using guitar samples. They always seem to be the absolute worst for sample sounds, it always ends up sounding staccato and picky !

her album red was 70 % real instruments, everything from banjo to violin and fiddle and so on had a artist playing.

i believe some drums were programmed, but yeah.. its like over 30 people contributing to that album.