• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Inside-info: CHEIRON Songwriting Techniques and "Rules"

Started by ununtitled, January 15, 2014, 11:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axel

I second that.

Bohemian Rhapsody broke all rules. :)

j.fco.morales

ununtitled

I heard that Savan Kotecha for instance literally has this Excel document that he uses when writing. If a certain part of the song doesnt' "fulfill" the requirements or whatever in this document, he'll have to change it..

Rebecca

wow, fascinating! I suppose he has to be so precise the fit the lyrics to the melody.

sweetmelody

Quote from: ununtitled on July 17, 2014, 08:53:41 PM
I heard that Savan Kotecha for instance literally has this Excel document that he uses when writing. If a certain part of the song doesnt' "fulfill" the requirements or whatever in this document, he'll have to change it..

Where did you hear this and is there any more info? That would be great to know further!

Rex

Quote from: ununtitled on July 17, 2014, 08:53:41 PM
I need immediately that document!  ;D

RoyFan

A thought:  Claude Kelly, a pretty good melodist himself these days said Akon taught him this:
Try not to waste too many notes. 
Look at -

1) Verse melody of "Who Knew" - a relatively Long melody, in terms of notes - but not ONE note is wasted
2) Verse melody of "Since U Been Gone" - and the Pre-chorus for the same song - Relatively shorter melodies in and of themselves - they're repeated more
- but the same tight fit, no wasted energy - Listeners (not only Zen Musicians like Max) can easily hear wasted stuff and generally don't get it

At least for Pop -  you can write catchy music and still break those 2 rules, but they're a good guideline for modern day success

RoyFan

The above point may seem obvious as listeners. - But it seems like lots of us here are aspiring writers.
I've found the above tip really useful.  Key is just to notice as you're doing it.   And then try to say the same thing more efficiently.

Or take out the weak/un necessary -

Even for all those Gods like Max, they probably are aware of the fact that it's an Emotional/Brain process together usually - and even with all their
formulas/knowledge they probably write crap when the mood isn't right.