• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Cheiron/Maratone Instrument/Equipment

Started by Tano87, August 25, 2020, 08:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tano87

I wanted to put the whole list with toggle but...not all BBCodes are available.
Anyway...someone could find this useful.

Here is Cheiron full equipment:

STUDIO 1STUDIO 2STUDIO 3
Euphonix CS3000D - 3 - 64
Yamaha 03D
Macintosh G3, Logic Audio Platinum+ Pro Tools
Emagic Unitor 8
Apogee AD-8000
Digidesign Audiointerface 888
Digidesign SSD
Akai S6000, S3200
Roland JV2080, Juno 106
EMU Orbit, Planet Phatt, Proteus 1+ Orcestral, Vintage Keys, Procussion
Studio Electronics SE-1
Korg Trinity
Lexicon PCM 91
Roland SDX 330, SRV 330, SDE 330, RSP 550
Calrec RQP 3200
dbx 902, 903
Aphex Expressor
Furman HA 6
Tascam DA 30 mkII
Marantz PMD321
Technics SL - 1210
Sony APR - 24
Dolby SR
Monitor Elite SCD 8022
Monitor Elite Reference 1
Chevin Research A3000, A500
Ashly PQX 572
Hit lamp
Soundtracs Jade 32
Macintosh G3, Logic Audio Platinum + Pro Tools
Emagic Unitor 8
Apogee AD-8000
Digidesign Audiointerface 888
Akai S6000
Roland JV2080, A - 90, JD 990
Yamaha DX 7, TX 802
EMU Vintage Keys, Procussion, Proteus 2000
Studio Electronics SE-1
Korg TR - Rack, M 1
Roland SDX 330, SRV 330, SDE 330, RSP 550
Eventide DSP - 4000
TC Electronics G - Force
Calrec RQP 3200
SSL Compressor
Nightpro EQ 3 - D
dbx 902, 903
Aphex Expressor
Joemeek Compressor
Focusrite Red serie 2
Berhinger HA 903
Tascam DA 40 mkII
Marantz PMD321
Teac R - 545
Technics SL - 1210
Otari MX 80
Yamaha NS - 10M
Monitor Elite SCD 8022
Monitor Elite Reference 1
Dynamic Precision
Chevin Research, A500
C Audio EQ 312
Hit lamp
Yamaha 02R
Macintosh G3, Logic Audio Platinum + Pro Tools
Emagic Unitor 8
Digidesign ADAT Bridge
Akai S5000, S3000
Roland JV2080
Korg TR - Rack, M 1
Mindprint En - Voice
Tascam DA 30 mkII
Marantz CD - 72
Yamaha NS - 10M
Monitor Elite SCD 8022
Amcron Micro Tech 1201
Hit lamp

Here you have Maratone instrument list

STUDIO 1STUDIO 2STUDIO 3
Access Virusrack
Akai S6000 with LaCie mo-drive
EMU Orbit
EMU Orbit3
EMU Planet Phatt
EMU Mo Phatt
EMU Procussion
EMU Proteus/1 plus Orcestral
EMU Proteus 2000
EMU Proteus 2500
EMU Vintage Keys
EMU Xtreme Lead-1
Fender Telecaster Thinliner
Fender Telecaster
Korg MS2000R
Korg Trinity
Korg Triton
Korg TR-Rack
Korg Triton-Rack
Oberheim Matrix 1000
Rhodes SeventyThree
Roland Juno 106
Roland TR 909
Roland V-Drums
Roland XV-5080
Roland JV-2080
SE-1
Taylor RSSM
Taylor 310
Yamaha DX-100
Yamaha P-200
Yamaha TG-77
Akai S5000 with Marantz CD - 57 and LaCie mo-drive
EMU Vintage Keys
EMU Extreme Lead-1
Korg MS2000R
Korg SP-100
Korg Triton-Rack
Roland JV-2080
Roland PC-180A
Roland XV-5080
SE-1
Akai S6000 with LaCie mo-drive
EMU Proteus 2000
EMU Vintage Keys
Korg TR-Rack
Roland PC-180A
Roland XV-5080
SE-1

j.fco.morales

Tano87

This is from their old cheiron/maratone website from archive.org
I thought to post them like this so you guys could compare them better according to the hear of a song.
In this way if I need some sounds from Overprotected or "I'm not a girl not yet a woman", I'll search through Maratone instrument list and go to listen between the stuff I have. But I still don't get where to find some sounds because they're probably layered.

j.fco.morales

I would love to know where they got these drum samples: as far as I know, back in the day you bought CD samplers or romplers and they tweaked those to get their own sounds, all through analog gear.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y4OZyQn6YY

Tano87

Actually Magnusson told me that the whole drums/percussion were from AKAI but I think we should look on E-MU procession too. I'm basically working with digital but it is very limited since most of the original digital sound available stuff is not the full deal.

For example the orchestra hit from Baby One More Time is not on JV2080/JV1080. Only the reverse stab is there.
Piano attack are layered pianos but which one is like impossible to find out.

In Oops I Did It Again different stabs were used and they were heavily layered with other sounds that are impossible to detect.

People here said that StringWheel was from Vintage Keys Plus but the Plus version is not in the instrument list from the studios and in the" 3" multitracks that track with StringWheel is called Vintage Keys without plus or anything like that.

So...what's the truth?

Tano87

Actually the video sais that he bought most part of the cds from that website called MidiWare.

Dagge

Quote from: j.fco.morales on August 26, 2020, 08:57:40 PM
I would love to know where they got these drum samples: as far as I know, back in the day you bought CD samplers or romplers and they tweaked those to get their own sounds, all through analog gear.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y4OZyQn6YY

Those sounds were layered from several sources that were popular then. Akai, Korg TR, Roland XV Dance Expansion and East West & Zero G sample lib (both co's are nonexisting today).  The last two were the only really famous ones on the market then and everyone used their sounds.

You can find all snare hits there and with a bit of research and listening recreate the famous Cheiron drum sounds. Mostly you will have to combine base fat snare and 'clappy' addon sound and mix them, usually combined of 2-3 different snare hits like in BSB - We've got in goin' on. Too bad they are not popular anymore, I like them more than today's dull and somehow boring drums sound.

How do I know? If you compare snares from different songs instrumentals to those samples mentioned it is easy to hear the same fattiness, same pitch and other sound parts. You cannot miss if you find right sample to compare.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: Dagge on December 13, 2020, 08:42:26 PM
Those sounds were layered from several sources that were popular then. Akai, Korg TR, Roland XV Dance Expansion and East West & Zero G sample lib (both co's are nonexisting today).  The last two were the only really famous ones on the market then and everyone used their sounds.

You can find all snare hits there and with a bit of research and listening recreate the famous Cheiron drum sounds. Mostly you will have to combine base fat snare and 'clappy' addon sound and mix them, usually combined of 2-3 different snare hits like in BSB - We've got in goin' on. Too bad they are not popular anymore, I like them more than today's dull and somehow boring drums sound.

How do I know? If you compare snares from different songs instrumentals to those samples mentioned it is easy to hear the same fattiness, same pitch and other sound parts. You cannot miss if you find right sample to compare.

Someone I managed to get some of these libraries and basically, it's all there. It's all layering and processing.
Also, I started using Reason 2 and I installed and checked those libraries from the early 2000s. It's all there!

Dagge

Connected to using that equipment for arrangement and production I subjectively think that Rami Jacoub was without doubt the best overall arranger at the team. He has an excellent feel for rhythmic parts and especially for syncopation, as well as for combining small parts into rich-sounding arrangement. For example songs like Get another boyfriend by BSB.

The second one (and overall highly underrated) would be K Lundin. His arrangements are very clever and rich sounding, for example, Larger than life. Third place would be Max, a melody king but let's say it without disrespect 'less talented' for rich arrangements than mentioned two.

So Max is best at melodies, Rami and Kristian for arrangements. For chord structure I am not sure, Max is obviously very good, while the other two aren't less talented in that domain. All others are quite less skilled in those fields, including Dr Luke, Shellback, Ilya etc (no pun intended for their fans here).

So at its core, Cheiron was Denniz as its soul, Max for melodies, and Rami and Kristian for arrangements. I think potential new songs made by Max Rami and Lundin jointly would beat anything on the chart today. They are clever enough to adapt to the 'modern' style while using the full potential they have. I wonder why they don't collaborate more.

j.fco.morales

I think the key was to work with collaborators whom are great in different aspects of songwriting.