• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Melodic Math - Max Martin's Secret Songwriting Formula // Episode 14

Started by turnaround, September 03, 2017, 10:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SongsByGROVER

Aha! I stumbled over that too a few weeks ago. Regardless of the glacial pace and rambling repetition, there's actually some good insight.

The key point being that (he claims):
Max writes entire melodies first, before anything else.

I took this to mean (if true) that Max will just think of a good melody, THEN add the chords and production, and finally the lyrics. The more I thought about that the more it made sense, since then your melodies aren't boxed in by a backing track. I've tried to do it this way a few times since, and it definitely works... also I dont sing them into my phone til I've completed a whole section. This way FORCES you to write memorable melodies, coz if you can't remember each distinct phrase for a few minutes while you're working on the other phrases, then it's not good enough.

Not sure where he got his info though, from everything I've personally read I got the impression that Max would write melodies to track. Anyone?