• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

MAX MARTIN MELODIC MATH. Help

Started by jelfmusic, July 29, 2015, 04:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzhoven

Hi guys this is my first ever post and I got to say what a cool thread this one is despite the squabbles or maybe because of them ,it inspired me to register.
I couldn't help but think in the earlier spat going on between melodic interval and and syllabic rhythm, that both are equally important in the melody math concept.
rhythmic patterns in the melody line are one dimension (say horizontal)
and pitch or note intervals are another dimension (say vertical)
together you can create a 2D shapes like lines that snake up and down like a graph.
I read somewhere that Max plays with these shapes and says if one line goes up then the next should go down or mirror it
in some way.
eg taylor swift wildest dreams bridge melody
"You see me in hindsight"  (goes up / fast rhythm)
"Tangled up with you all night" (goes up / fast rhythm)
"Burn it down"  (goes down/ slow rhythm )
it's like the third line, tho completely different,is referencing the first two ,
and your brain recognises the pattern.
and it's a satisfying cycle completion of some sort

I always see melodies like lines on a graph and Max songs in particular have
these graphic patterns (contrasting repetitions and inversions )
and this is both pitch interval and syllabic Rhythm dancing together.

Also I've definitely noticed more  these days the melody starting on different beats of the bar in differing sections

e.g. Blank space alpha verse starts on the 2 (nice to meet you..
                         beta verse (secondary verse melody)starts s on the 1 (oh my god....
                         chorus is on the 1.5 (so it's gonna...
it creates such a change in feel between parts

It's interesting to think all these math patterns can be built into just in the melody line, so will work well being sung
without the music.
then chordal and harmonic arrangement and production stuff can build it even more

bugmenot

Quote from: MarshallHolland on June 06, 2017, 04:44:53 AMif you figure it out and share it with everybody on this forum you'll be fucked.

Consumer society have nothing to do with this common sense. The more consumers spend the more they spend. Shopping is addictive.

QuoteWe have to let go of the notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft needs to lose.

Steve Jobs

One hears the song on the radio and like it, one goes to the iTunes to buy it, then one sees other song in side menu, your song, preview it and like it too, buys it. Without that first song one would not open iTunes store this week. Then buys the third song. And the fourth.

Generosity and cooperation are a winning strategy.

j.fco.morales

Phantom9d

It's important to remember that it's not just about the musical "math". You should (in my opinion) as a composer/artist focus more on bringing soul and life into a piece of music. There is certain rules you could go by, also patterns, arrangements etc.. but in the end it has to feel right. There is already so many examples of static songs that uses all these "tricks".. but without the soul they end up dead and boring.