• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Max Melodies - Dictaphone, singing, demos, oh my!

Started by Voodoo, January 14, 2013, 09:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voodoo

Hey guys... quick questions. Hopefully someone may have some insight. I'm sure someone will, or at least will have a good idea.

I've heard max say that he writes everything on a dictaphone first, before doing anything else.
He also said, if you have a strong melody, build your entire song around it.
I don't know if this is still the way he does things... but herein lies my question:

Let's say max is starting a song from scratch. He's not working with anyone particular, just writing:

1) is he LITERALLY singing ideas into a dictaphone?!!
2) if so... how many ideas do you think he goes through before he goes, "hell yeah... this is good!"
3) do you think he writes the melody to the entire song at once (chorus, pre, verse, etc.)?? or does it just start with a great chorus, and then he decides to build the music around that great chorus melody and add the other parts later?
4) or... is he skipping all these steps and just starting out right away with the piano and reording THOSE ideas on a dictaphone?
5) how many trashy, horrible songs do you think he puts out for every hit? or are they ALL good?

Thanks guys! Of corse... just trying to learn more about the master... and try to glimpse in the world of MM.

georg_e

Hi Voodoo,   as far as your question about is he literally singing melodies into a Dictaphone, I'm sure he means that, sure :-)  (Or cell phone, pocket size digital voice recorder, whatever......

andrea

I'm sure he means that too... I do the same thing, when a melody starts playing in mind I record it immediately on my smartphone because I could forget it quickly ;D