• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Nick Jonas - Last Year Was Complicated (New Album)

Started by turnaround, March 25, 2016, 10:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnaround

And I liked it..

uberweiss

I really like "Close". I especially love the lyric "'cause space was just a word made up by someone who's afraid to get close", and the amazing Tove Lo adlib near the end: "SO GET CLOSE BABE!" One thing I hate though is the part where the music drops out and it's meant to be the climax and Nick squeals "...cloooooose". So feeble and takes me out of the intense atmosphere of the song.

I think I love "Touch", although I'm not convinced it won't soon turn out to be annoying. Disagree that it's unlike Mattman & Robin's previous work though? It's very much in that whispering-close-to-the-mic vibe of "Hands To Myself". Very ear-wormy melodically, and schizophrenic, paranoid production. Not on the level of amazingness that Selena's track reached though; a big part of that is how comparatively weak Touch's bridge is. Bit of a nonevent compared to the world-beating "I mean I could, but why I would want to?" Iconic.
'I go from touching you with both hands / To touching you with no hands' has been in my head all day though.

"Under You" is a very competent "Style" 2.0 (or "Jealous"/"Do What U Want"/"Love Me Harder" 5.0). That hook is big. But when you have "Style", it's almost like why bother listening to this? The big difference between the two is this one sounds like 5 minutes of work went into the production.

Other than that, 'Chainsaw' is a nice 'Jealous' rewrite, and 'Champagne Problems' has cool verses. Nothing else grabbed me.

One thing's for sure though: Mattman & Robin's work here is 50x better than on that Gwen Stefani calamity.

j.fco.morales

I still don't listen the album in full, active listening... but I agree about the blandness.

And uberweiss, if you think Mattman and Robin do "schizophrenic, paranoid production", you need to listen stuff like Kaytranada, Flume or the twisted R&B of James Blake. I absolutely love his new record.

I would suggest Robin Hannibal as a collaborator here. If they were planning a laidback stuff for him, less teen orientated Robin was the best choice.
His songs on Yuna's last album are quite beautiful.

volkanyurdabak

Under You is reminiscent of Taylor Swift's Style which is the best song of 1989, but it is also amazing, though. Max Martin knows the taste of a good pop song.

turnaround

Currently I can't get over how good "Unhinged" is.
It should have been a BSB song.

[spotify]https://open.spotify.com/track/2Bm6D27JeiTQb8iVIOPDuG[/spotify]
And I liked it..

turnaround

Find You

Simon Wilcox
Jakob Hazell
Nick Jonas
Svante Halldin

Jack & Coke

[spotify]https://open.spotify.com/track/6Ll3qUTssdGWMxbwhMud2N[/spotify]
And I liked it..

j.fco.morales

turnaround

This reminds me of the old dance-pop summer songs. Great style and beautifully crafted.
And I liked it..

nanofives

Jack & Coke never disappoints me, the songs they did for Kerli were great.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: nanofives on September 21, 2017, 05:21:42 PM
Jack & Coke never disappoints me, the songs they did for Kerli were great.

Never heard about them.
Now I know they wrote Euphoria, under other production name.

nanofives

They did some songs for JoJo latest album, and a few remixes, but mostly Kerli demos.

j.fco.morales

This guy needs a hit.

Too many bland songs... with an edgier sound maybe.