• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Justin Bieber - Somebody / Unstable (RAMI)

Started by turnaround, October 16, 2015, 09:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

georg_e

Quote from: j.fco.morales on May 29, 2016, 07:47:52 PM
Sorry has been acused of plagiarism:

http://jenesaispop.com/2016/05/28/261834/justin-bieber-y-skrillex-niegan-haber-robado-a-white-hinterland-en-sorry/

The interesting thing here is that Skrillex uploaded a video with the session with Julia Michaels singing the demo and showed how he did the vocal chop accused of plagiarism.
Diplo's take on what probably happened with this.....
http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/05/27/diplo-justin-bieber-skrillex-sorry-lawsuit/

j.fco.morales

Quote from: georg_e on May 30, 2016, 11:50:28 AM
     Diplo's take on what probably happened with this.....
http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/05/27/diplo-justin-bieber-skrillex-sorry-lawsuit/

Just like Diplo said: TMZ is not a source.
And if you know his humor, you would notice the sarcasm...

georg_e

Quote from: j.fco.morales on May 30, 2016, 07:32:21 PM
Just like Diplo said: TMZ is not a source.
And if you know his humor, you would notice the sarcasm...
First of all....'sarcasm' where?? C'mon......TMZ or the BBC......Diplo said what he said, on FILM -- he couldn't have been clearer, whatever his sense of humor is or isn't. And if he thinks TMZ is so low, why stop and talk with them then?  Total backtracking: its a little ridiculous to give an interview about something that involves big $$$$ on camera to an organization and then later say they're "not a source"!

*edit* Anyway all that is beside the point: if you have ears its obvious that the two songs have almost the EXACT same riff at the SAME place in the song (the beginning) in the SAME key, and he even said he knows the group White Hinterland which means it didn't come from some source nobody never heard of. That they manipulated the songwriter's vocal to re-do it means NOTHING, if they didn't clear it, despite being asked to.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: georg_e on May 30, 2016, 08:31:46 PM
First of all....'sarcasm' where?? C'mon......TMZ or the BBC......Diplo said what he said, on FILM -- he couldn't have been clearer, whatever his sense of humor is or isn't. And if he thinks TMZ is so low, why stop and talk with them then?  Total backtracking: its a little ridiculous to give an interview about something that involves big $$$$ on camera to an organization and then later say they're "not a source"!

*edit* Anyway all that is beside the point: if you have ears its obvious that the two songs have almost the EXACT same riff at the SAME place in the song (the beginning) in the SAME key, and he even said he knows the group White Hinterland which means it didn't come from some source nobody never heard of. That they manipulated the songwriter's vocal to re-do it means NOTHING, if they didn't clear it, despite being asked to.

There are people just waiting for "celebrities" -can't stand the concept- to take pictures or ask weird things. Then these people shop that material.
Sites like TMZ buy that material and make "shocking news" about it. In any case is "Diplo talked with TMZ".

Diplo does awful jokes all the time. Bad sense of humor.
Plus, he wasn't involved in the record.

And, I know there's some people in the forum that makes music too, and everyone knows that there's not unused chord progressions or melodies or stuff.
It's a 1 bar bit.

The video I posted before actually shows Skrillex and the way the arrangement was done, transposing an adlib and placing it in other part.
The one bar melody is very similar, but using that video as a proof, I think there's no bad intention behind it.
To avoid legal issues, it makes sense to give them proper credit.

But the arrangements and the song itself are completely different things.

georg_e

He spoke the truth about the situation as he understands it, and from his own experience. I was simply presenting that fact, in his own words. He seemed pretty straightforward about it to me :-)

j.fco.morales

Quote from: georg_e on May 30, 2016, 11:52:12 PM
Well, songwriting has changed.....they're NOT completely different things.....a hook like that is worth millions.......it's not just some little 4 bar or whatever thing.....he didn't say they "stole" it, just that someone screwed up and didn't bother to clear it. And that he'd run into a situation like that himself,
but caught it in time (with sampling horns from Outkast).
    This Bieber case has been in the news, they caught him off guard at the airport and he spoke the truth about it as he understands the situation.
    Which is great.....but then he backtracked later and blamed TMZ. (For exactly what, I don't understand .......)

Well, I'm not being clear enough: this looks like a coincidence.
There's a lot of patterns used all over again, with subtle differences.

For sample clearance, you need to use a 4 bar pattern from other recording.
If you interpolate 4 bars, you receive extra money for related rights.
If you use a small part from a recording in your own record, you can clear the sample or manipulate/change it enough to not be recognized.

So, again: the video Skrillex posted in his twitter explains it all.
In this case seems like the less known artist taking is advantage of the situation to sue, claiming a sound with a duration of less than 2 seconds is being used.
To me, this is like saying a certain type of chord progression is MY chord progression.

georg_e

Wouldn't you maybe think maybe Diplo knows what he's talking about a lot more than you or me?
Don't see what else I can say.....the man said they should've cleared it. End of story :-)

nanofives

Diplo, the man who accused zedd of being a sold out while having a song in the top 10 which Justin bieber, the least sold out collaboration.
And his excuse to the twitter harsh "but mine is better"
Really... No one can take diplo seriously, he could have done big bangers, but he also did terrible things, did you ever listened to bubble butt?
We know about music too, we don't need big billboard hits to understand when something is plagiarism or just a coincidence. And that video was enough for me.

georg_e

Another Forum member who knows more than Diplo who ACTUALLY WORKS WITH SKRILLEX AND HAD KNOWLEDGE OF THE CASE BEFORE HE ANSWERED THE QUESTION :-D

j.fco.morales

Quote from: nanofives on May 31, 2016, 07:18:06 PM
Diplo, the man who accused zedd of being a sold out while having a song in the top 10 which Justin bieber, the least sold out collaboration.
And his excuse to the twitter harsh "but mine is better"
Really... No one can take diplo seriously, he could have done big bangers, but he also did terrible things, did you ever listened to bubble butt?
We know about music too, we don't need big billboard hits to understand when something is plagiarism or just a coincidence. And that video was enough for me.

+1.

georg_e OK.

nanofives

Well, now you're just making up things. I suggest you go and look at that TMZ interview again. It's very clear that he didn't know a single thing about the background since he WASN'T involved, he's just talking answering with suppositions.

georg_e

Quote from: nanofives on June 02, 2016, 02:50:18 AM
Well, now you're just making up things. I suggest you go and look at that TMZ interview again. It's very clear that he didn't know a single thing about the background since he WASN'T involved, he's just talking answering with suppositions.
Yeah, I just made it up :-) But I guess this guy did too :-D
http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/05/27/justin-bieber-given-up-by-producer-diplo-who-also-rats-out-beyonce-on-sampling

nanofives

So you're quoting the article which monetize by transcribing everything diplo say in the TMZ video?
Look, I don't think this is something like diplo's horns on a Beyonce song, this is a voice, it's an edited voice, I think this girl blaming skrillex for plagiarism it's just coincidence, obviously this is my point of view based on what I see and I decide not to believe something from a person who was not credited on the song, of Justin, or Julia, or skrillex, or bloodpop says this well, that's the only thing that'd change my mind.
I will point out always the skrillex video which he explains very good it's not a sample nor a fragment of her song.

georg_e

Quote from: nanofives on June 02, 2016, 07:02:05 PM
So you're quoting the article which monetize by transcribing everything diplo say in the TMZ video?

Yes, I was referring to that article, correct :-)