• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Why Taylor Swift doesn't work with Max Martin?

Started by bugmenot, August 04, 2020, 11:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugmenot

I know, somebody has super insider's info and rumors.

david

Quote from: bugmenot on August 04, 2020, 11:29:00 AM
I know, somebody has super insider's info and rumors.

they both have different thoughts now about songwriting credits and stuff

she talked about this here

https://youtu.be/xebkDG8vKi0?t=698

McCartneyMartin

Maybe she doesn't want to be his puppet to get more number ones?? Maybe there's some behind-the-scenes drama. Who knows?

j.fco.morales

I personally don't see Max as a guy who's really into royalties or stuff but I couldn't say that about his management team.

Nowadays, artists build relationships with collaborators in a different way: writers don't send their stuff and pitch their songs.
The artist want to be involved in the process: wants to have friends and collaborate with them, people who makes you feel comfortable and be open about any subject. Intimacy probably.

In this case in particular, I think Taylor is focused on challenge herself creatively and that's how she chose her collaborators. I read an article about this on Rolling Stone: she had a couple songs before she wrote to Aaron Dessner, asking to work with her and send her some music to write lyrics. He sent a folder with music he had been working on at 9pm and he had "cardigan" fully written at 2am on his e-mail.

If you think about that song in particular, it's a National sounding song with Taylor's vocals. Listen to The National's "Light Years".
And Jack, well... they're close friends.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/aaron-dessner-taylor-swift-interview-folklore-1033870/

Dagge

Quote from: McCartneyMartin on August 04, 2020, 07:12:16 PM
Maybe she doesn't want to be his puppet to get more number ones?? Maybe there's some behind-the-scenes drama. Who knows?

It's ok but I really don't know why would public wanted to listen to someone's private mood songs that are not made for commercial use. Many artists who had a couple of hits fall into this trap, thinking that the public wants to listen to their personal taste,  while it cannot be farther from the truth. Public want hits, commercial products carefully crafted for the market. I see some of her songs had 10-15 mil listeners which is a sure sign that the public is not that enthusiastic and is a sure way down. The moment she realizes that she will call Max again. Without much help I would say subjectively because it seems that he is also worn off a bit, or has lost his mojo, or has wrong or not-so-talented collaborators, whatever.

Btw I haven't heard his song recently that I liked the way I liked his former songs. Now it's pure manufacturing, not the craft of making good songs. Worst thing is that he inspired loads of new producers that use his methods but don't possess his craft and talent. And the result are bleak, predictable, mechanic hits that are actually not hits at all but industry forces them to be, because there is nothing better at the moment.

melodicmoonlight

She's putting out the re-recording of Red this November, announced yesterday.

Will be cool to hear the re-interpretations of We Are Never Getting Back Together and 22. Wonder if Max will have any part in those.

bugmenot

Any speculations on how Max and Johan will be remunerated? Her rerecording didn't bring much streaming plays, don't know about album sales...

nanofives

There was some reports that there might be a song that was scrapped from the original album written by max and shellback that might be included.
No source though, fanpage speculation.

melodicmoonlight

Quote from: nanofives on June 20, 2021, 03:02:07 PM
There was some reports that there might be a song that was scrapped from the original album written by max and shellback that might be included.
No source though, fanpage speculation.

That would be cool! If not on Red, then I'm sure on 1989 we'll get lots of songs she did with Shellback and Max.

AlexanderLaBrea

Quote from: bugmenot on June 20, 2021, 02:13:05 PM
Any speculations on how Max and Johan will be remunerated? Her rerecording didn't bring much streaming plays, don't know about album sales...

My guess is that they'll do it in support of her. Basically free.

bugmenot

What are the legal chances of their possible use of 2014's files they stored on harddrive and just recording a new vocal track over them?

j.fco.morales

Quote from: AlexanderLaBrea on June 21, 2021, 10:34:54 PM
My guess is that they'll do it in support of her. Basically free.

It's a win-win: an established artist with a large fanbase. Royalties vary: radio, streaming, YouTube, syncs, etc. And they get a % because after the writing session you complete a split sheet where each writer decides how much each collaborator wrote.

AlexanderLaBrea

Yes exactly. The songs will likely see an upswing in streams generating royalties. Then again money is no object  for them so I guess they would have produced it again for her free just to support her cause.