• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Your fave things about a Max Martin song

Started by *Sabine*, September 15, 2008, 04:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

*Sabine*

Thought this would be a cool idea for a new topic. So guys, why is a Max Martin song so special for you and differentiate him from the other producers?
List here!  ;)

As far as I'm concerned:

- great simple melody, really special and catchy, repetitive and addictive (tadada of bomt :P), a bit melancholic at times
- very good rythm, "powerful songs", lots of "bass", etc...
- great instrumentation: synthes, the 'bells' in the chorus...
- lot of creativity: fancy intros, bridges (oops dialog, phone in the call...)
- the good feeling and "freshness" of the songs: very happy songs, make you feel like singing and dancing and smiiiile
- great voice effects, even with artists that don't have such a great voice (eg britney!)
- brilliant use of backing vocals and great background singers (Nana Hedin, Jessica Folker,Jeanette Olsson, Max, Andreas...)
- the counter chorus, unique Cheiron "recipe"
- the cheesiness in the lyrics
- of course, I like the artists they collaborated with and their image
- last but not least, the fact that Max produces (yes, now if you tell me it's by him, I tend to be biased and I like it immediately! lol :P) and also the songs sound like one another (it's so much fun to sing one song on another one!! :D)

OK.... in short, I love everything about them that makes a song!

Raul_esp

yes , you are right in all , I love the simple melodies cathies , stronger chorus , the intros , etc...

Scott Martin :)

Quote from: *Sabine* on September 15, 2008, 04:41:19 PM

- the counter chorus, unique Cheiron "recipe"

Hi Sabine, can you give some examples of this?

*Sabine*

I mean what is between the bridge and the 2 last choruses. You have one in Lucky, Shape of my heart, I want it that way, Crazy, Baby one more time, Oops, tell me what you like, I want you to want me, etc...in most of the songs.
This is the same instrumental as the chorus (or almost) but the melody and the lyrics are a bit different. usually, it is my fave bit of the song! :D
See what I mean now?

Rebecca

Sabine, I think you listed my favourite things too!

sometimes I don't even know why I love his songs.

1. Melody - I don't know how he does it!
2. Lyrics - so easy to remember, but they're a bit different, not so obvious like in other songs.
3. The catchy beginnings, with the singer announcing themselves eg BSB's "oh my god, we're back again". Britney in Overprotected "say hello to the girl that I am". Pink in Cuz I Can "PINK PIMP I'm back again I know y'all missed me"
4. The counter melodies! which drive me insane!! BSB's Get Another Boyfriend is my favourite - eg Scott at 2.05 "hear me out, you must know...." then it goes back to the main melody then they sing the counter melody as well as the main melody!  I love it!!

Scott Martin :)

Ah, thanks for the explanation!

Two things I really like about Max's writing;

- the way he develops and build the melody in the verse, without changing the chords underneath.

example: Since Youve Been Gone - when Kelly sings "and all you ever hear me say" - right before the chorus - he's building on the verse without going into a whole other section of the song.

- second thing i like is similar to above but in the chorus.

example: in Who Knew when Pink sings "they knew better, still you said forever" - its kind of like a B section to the chorus or an outro back to the verse. He does this a lot; Since Youve Been Gone, U and Yur Hand, Forever (Veronicas), and so on.

Raul_esp

yes max is simply amazing!!! , I love so much the counter melody of get another boyfriend .

*Sabine*

Quote from: Scott Martin :) on September 16, 2008, 02:45:50 PM
- second thing i like is similar to above but in the chorus.

example: in Who Knew when Pink sings "they knew better, still you said forever" - its kind of like a B section to the chorus or an outro back to the verse. He does this a lot; Since Youve Been Gone, U and Yur Hand, Forever (Veronicas), and so on.

Yes, that's a good point! that's how you make hit songs... it has to be repetitive with very few chords and the melody and lyrics only vary slightly! this is a feature i really love about his songs!

Feelgoodlies

My favourite things is how he starts out a song, example Oops!..I Did It Again, Lucky, Don't Want You Back, Baby One More Time.

Second thing I absoultely love about Max, is the sudden beat stops and the adds, I don't know what they call them musically, he uses in his songs exampe: Overprotected "Things that I've been known(tan tan tan tan.... What I hear.....) it's just wow lol,
Dont Want You Back "but there were things that made me realise, like all the hundreds[there is another sound added if you notice]
Lucky "but tell me what happens when it stops" it stops;)
Get Another Boyfriend "I've seen it before [the add of] "don't take" in the back" I love it.
"Just going get on with your life "Stop"]it stops ;D

And of course I love hwo he manages to put the chorus differently at the end of a song, like
Oops I Did It Again after ahhh you shouldnt have dialouge.....
Don't Want You Back after just let us end this story bout u and I......
You Drive Me Crazy after "stop"....
Lucky after this hollywood gir.....
Can't Make You Love Me after seems like I have it all.....

OMG and too many others to count
Thanks Sabine for such a great topic.

*Sabine*

Ah my pleasure! :D
Yes you're absolutely right Feelgoodlies! I really love the "stop thing"! You forgot Crazy the stop remix! ..................STOP!!!
Yes, Max is really original, I guess that's what makes his music very special!

Unexpected

My absolute thing about any Max song is how he puts the same chorus but with different arrange then meets at specific line like in baby one more time at the end When Group singing (my loneliness is killing me and I .... , and britney sings I must confess that my loneliness , then both choruses meets at And Give me a sign , the same thing in Lucky and Most of his tracks ) and of course the beats , the stops , the elctronic sounds , everything.

cheironlover

klukan

Quote from: cheironlover on July 02, 2010, 05:45:27 AM
Darn rite about the counter choruses.

The Cheiron guys themselves called it a "B-hook" I read somewhere..

cheironlover

OH yes wee need the b-hooks! Which of them still does those? Or would u need 2 request it?

OverPop

Quote from: klukan on July 02, 2010, 09:52:11 AM
Quote from: cheironlover on July 02, 2010, 05:45:27 AM
Darn rite about the counter choruses.

The Cheiron guys themselves called it a "B-hook" I read somewhere..

Yeah, and my favourite one is on Get Another Boyfriend (BSB), after the break, B-hook, chorus and then both together.  ;D