• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

A Significant Portion Of One Direction Songs Are Fucking Awesome

Started by Addicted2Melody, May 31, 2016, 10:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Addicted2Melody

A lot of One Direction songs just suck. You know the ones I'm talking about. The slow acoustic ones. The ones that were actually meant for the 12 year-olds. Let's be realistic guys, no one on here is 12. But it's all good, with these songs subtracted we are left with a significant portion of One Direction songs that are fucking awesome.

Seriously, if you like Max's stuff and haven't given One Direction a serious listen you are in for a killer treat. Get a pair of headphones out, I'm giving you candy i.e. here is a playlist I made just for you: https://open.spotify.com/user/gaskinandrew/playlist/3JeY1xHkzylmBbEw1EvXTE

It's One Direction's Best Songs. All the fluff has been sheared to reveal the true killers. The ones with great chord harmonies, interval soaring top line melodies and mathematical syllabic mirroring. So much good stuff in here.

To me One Direction has gone through three sonic incarnations (in terms of the Portion Of Songs That Are Fucking Awesome). The sound on Up All Night and Take Me Home is super catchy almost pop-punk but with only the most essential melodic and rhythmic elements left in and then maximized to assault your pleasure centers. The songs are super loud and sugary. This sound is my favorite of theirs. Chiefly crafted by Rami Yacoub  and Carl Falk.

Listen to how the top line melody and the chord melodies interact on songs like "Kiss You," "Back For You," "I Would," and "Live While We're Young." Also, listen to the chorus melody on "Rock Me." Specifically the "show me you care" melody. I swear Max wrote this but went uncredited! It's just SO Max Martin.

Many of the choruses from this period end like jingles with the song title being sung while all other instrumentation drops out. It's like a little commercial for the song itself. I love it.     

Their next two records Four and Midnight Memories is 1D transitioning to sort of sounding like a stadium rock band with essential elements of Journey, Bryan Adams, and The Who (listen to the beginning of "Best Song Ever." See I told you!) They had some good songs during this time, namely "Steal My Girl Girl," "Best Song Ever," "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" and I'll throw in "I Loved You First" even though it's a Take Me Home bonus track. It's sonic theme is consistent with the previously mentioned songs. These songs are fantastic representations of 80s anthems with ALL of the fat cut out.

Their latest album Made In The A.M. has a real eclectic 80's rock/The Police feel to it which is kinda cool. More all over the place. The 1D guys are probably co-writing songs now.. You know how that shit goes haha. I like "Drag Me Down" it comes with the days later earworm "nobody-nobody" in the hook. The other song from this album and included last on the playlist is "Perfect." Just a pleasantly satisfying song that's fun to loop around in your head.

Give the Significant Portion a shot if you're unfamiliar and let me know what you think. Have a great night!  :)

nanofives

Well, in the first place, we all shouldn't care about the image that 1D sells to little girls, their music was always great, although I only listened to them because of Carl and rami , but that's because curiosity, but just of them, after their second album I started to dislike their songs, because they weren't as catchy in my intention, Dr Luke was the one that made me wanna listen to them the very first time, rock me is one of the most powerful songs I've ever hearsd, and then shellbacks but after they "dumped" Carl and rami for bunnetta and John Ryan I didn't like their songs as much, I can only reccomend drag me down but it's just because I'm a cheiron fan.
Maybe it was their plan for... Growing up maybe?

EDIT: and that include not only one direction, but any boyband, Carl, rami and redone worked with a lot of them, and I love mostly all they produced

j.fco.morales

All I have to say here, is that I'm surprised about Zayn vocals now that he went solo.
Such a great singer.