• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Background vocals

Started by turnaround, May 25, 2007, 11:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Nelson

Yes, I do agree. I'm not saying they can't sing. Just that there is a reason why these groups sound alike and it's because they all worked with the same people and had the same backup, that's all... And in mixing, you don't just record a vocal track once. You record one vocal track and take that same recording and double it over on two tracks to fatten up the sound. In most of the Cheiron boy band songs, Andreas, Max, and crew are doubled over so many times that it does make up for the members of the band that don't sing as much. Another Cheiron trick is to record a track of usualy Andreas (talking) through the song verse's and chorus, double it, put it on two tracks and pan them to the left and right of the mix or underneath the lead vocalist. That also helps fatten the sound of the vocals. :idea:

turnaround

Sorry to be so curious Tommy, but so much detail you know, have you been working with the Cheiron writers once?

The I used to go with the flow part from Stronger is great, I just noticed.
And I liked it..

Tommy Nelson

:lol: No, I haven't. LOL! However, I have been listening to productions from Cheiron since 1992! Quite a long time! Also, I am a musician and producer myself so I know a little more than the average listner... Yes, it is Andreas singing on that other part of "Stronger", 'I used to go with the flow'. :D

Linda

Quote from: "Rebecca"I love Max's background vocals on Nick Carter's I Got You -near the end.
Just lovely.
I'm pretty sure it's Max, just can't find the cd at the moment to check

Thats one of my fave songs... you can hear Max so clearly :D

Alex Martin

I GOT YOU is "The Song"

Great max in the chorus!!!!!!

®a|ÑßØw÷¢H!LÐ

Quote from: "turnaround"Oh and I know Jules hates Jörgen for doing "Instrumentals" as a B-Side with voices on it,  :wink:
ABSOLUTELY UPSETTING!! :smt013
Why is it called INSTRUMENTAL?? Cause it's just instruments and no vocals in it. Really annoys the shit outta me. Can't they just call it "Karaoke Version" to make it clear from the start whether it includes vocals or not...

Rebecca

Quote from: "Tommy Nelson":D Thanks Turnaround! To back that up, you can listen to these groups without the Cheiron singers. Just listen to the non-Cheiron filler songs on their albums and you will hear a big change in the vocals. Sometimes the vocals are so different in these other songs that they end up sounding like another group altogether! :D

Really? I disagree that boy bands singers sound completely different in the non-Cheiron songs. BSB have very distinct voices to  me and I can hear clearly each of their voices and they sound the same in the non-Cheiron songs. Especially Brian - have you listened to his solo album? his voice sounds the same as in BSB, don't tell me Max and Andreas did the vocals for his solo album! I have also been to 2 BSB soundchecks and heard their voices very clearly with not much amplification, their voices are great, they sing great, it wasn't pre-recorded either because they mucked around with the lyrics a bit to make us laugh.

I agree that Max, Andreas or other singers might be singing background but they are not carrying the song.

As for Westlife, they don't have that many Cheiron songs, they have sung so many Mac/Hector songs and also covers - their voices sound pretty similar no matter what song, album to album.

I agree with Five as their vocals are not as good they may have needed more help.

I also agree with Britney as she is just a solo singer so would need more help and Nana and the other ladies are just amazing singers. However, I think Britney is carrying the song though with help. No doubt she has voice coaching.

Rebecca

Quote from: "andrea"i don't think that two more voices by andreas or max makes the difference in a four or five members' group... however it's possible that the producers add some background voices, but only for filling more the chorus, because backstreet boys, westlife and nsync can really sing well... :wink:

agreed!

Rebecca

Quote from: "Tommy Nelson":shock: Andrea, Then how do you explain the big difference in the vocals of these groups on the non-Cheiron songs? If all these "boy bands" really were singing 100% of the time there would be no difference in the voices and harmonys from working with one production crew to another... And how do you explain BSB, *NSYNC, Five, LFO ( especialy, "Sex u up" that's Andreas all the way!), Boyzone, and Westlife all having some of the same voices and harmonys in the Cheiron songs only? If it really was only their voices on all of their songs, they would always sound the same no matter who they worked with. :idea:

Tommy I think all your information is very interesting and I like how you know more about the behind the scenes info and thanks for sharing.

However, I do disagree that BSB, NSync, Five, Boyzone and Westlife all sound the same. Personally I can easily tell the difference between each singers. Justin and JC who carry most of NSync's songs sound quite different from AJ, Brian and Nick who sing most of BSB, Five are also different, Westlife also different voices. Re Boyzone they're completely different again - Ronin Keatings voice is distinct. I don't really know LFO.

I agree that the Cheiron songs are similar eg I Want You Back could have been sung just as well by BSB as it was by NSync.

I have spent way too long listening to boybands I think!

Tommy Nelson

Singing live at a concert is different... I was talking about album tracks and how there is a change in the overall sound of these groups when working with one producer to another. With BSB, Andreas sings with them on most of the Cheiron songs, and he does make a big difference! I can always hear when he's not there and it doesen't sound the same.
Listen to "We've got it goin' on" and "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" or "I want it that way" (W/Andreas). Then listen to some non-Cheiron songs on their albums. With Westlife it's the same, The vocals on the Cheiron songs like "When your're looking like that" or "Dreams come true" (where they magicly turn in to *NSYNC because Andreas is singing) are very different than the Mac/Hector songs. And most of Westlife's hit songs have been produced at Cheiron. And read the credits on the "World of our own" album. Anders Von Hoffsten and Andreas Carlsson can both be found there. However they do sing backup without it being listed also. And on a personal note, I only listen to the Cheiron songs of each group because they are SO much better than the rest of the album "Filler" songs that are produced by other producers. It's funny how some people just don't know. :?

Tommy Nelson

And to add, Listen to Boyzone "Will be yours" and LFO "Sex u up" and tell me you don't hear Andreas Carlsson, Max Martin and Anders Von Hoffsten. And when Cheiron produced just 1, 2, or 3 songs on an album or in Boyzone's and LFO's case (just 1 song each). Why do these songs sound nothing like the others on their album??? :?

P.S I'm focusing on the voices heard in the backup and chorus singing... I CAN tell the difference between the voices of the members of each group.

Also, I am a recording and mixing engineer and have been studying for years, so I guess I listen to things much differently than the average listner. Because of this, I tend to focus more on production than to the group or artist.

Rebecca

I agree there is a huge difference between Cheiron songs and non-Cheiron songs on BSB, Westlife etc albums. I suppose I put that down to the actual song which are usually (always?) so much better than the other songs.
I'm sure there are background singers that don't get credit and I'm sure Max and Andreas are singing background without credit - I believe what you say regarding that. However, I still disagree about the background singers impact on the song - for the boybands anyway. I'm not a musician, it's just what I think as a fan.

It's very funny, Tommy, that you think of the non-Cheiron songs as just 'filler' tracks. I think the same with a lot of the albums too! But not Backstreet Boys.

Anyway, it's an interesting discussion and will give me more to think about when I listen to the songs.

turnaround

Random question..

Did Max speak this

"britney before you go, there's something i want you to have"
"oh its beautiful, but wait a miniute, isnt this... ?"
"yes it is"
"but i thought the old lady dropped it into the ocean in the end"
"well baby, i went down and got it for you"
"oh you shouldnt have""  :lol:
And I liked it..

jarle

Quote from: "turnaround"Random question..

Did Max speak this

"britney before you go, there's something i want you to have"
"oh its beautiful, but wait a miniute, isnt this... ?"
"yes it is"
"but i thought the old lady dropped it into the ocean in the end"
"well baby, i went down and got it for you"
"oh you shouldnt have""  :lol:

Yes, it's Max speaking. It's also him speaking in Lucky.

Btw, listen to Herbie - Big Funky Dealer. All the singing is Max and DaYeene. Also, in Michele - Do Me Baby, Max practically sings a whole verse by himself.

Tommy Nelson

:idea: Jarle, in "Do me baby" that's Andreas Carlsson's voice on the solo 'Do me baby cause I wan't to break it down, there is no way that I can take it no more, uh uh, I know I'm not mistaking, a million heart's are breakin, I don't care if we can't do it right now, uh uh'... He also does a similar solo in Amanda's "Can't stop my love" which he also wrote the lyrics to. Also, in Five's "Partyline 555-on-line", Andreas sings the whole chorus, listen and compare... Max Martin has a very deep singing voice, listen to E-Type's "Russian Lullaby" or Five's "It's the things you do" and you will hear Max. :wink: