• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Will Streaming Music Kill Songwriting?

Started by turnaround, February 08, 2016, 08:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnaround

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/will-streaming-music-kill-songwriting

Savan shared this.

QuoteSavan Kotecha, whose "Love Me Like You Do," was recently nominated for a Grammy, told me that songwriters are increasingly aware of the stakes. "It affects how you plan for the future and whether you invest in new talent, because in the streaming world you won't necessarily see any return on your investment. For now, terrestrial radio is holding out. But radio could go away, because everyone has phones. And once streaming gets into cars in a big way, it's over."
And I liked it..

Rebecca

Interesting article, there is a lot of information there, a lot to take in. Interesting that performers don't receive royalties from the radio.

It is a shame that the streaming services don't pay enough money. Songwriters who are already established will be fine, but it will be difficult for the up and coming songwriter and they can't rely on one hit anymore, they'll have to write multiple hits.  Surely, as most artists require songwriters to write their songs, the songwriter can just charge more per song up front?

bugmenot

I lost.

Maybe 1 person spending 3 hours per day in Spotify.
180 minutes / 4 min-song x 30 days = 1350 plays in months for $ 10 = 0,007 cents per play for bunch of people.

But they pays higher.

turnaround

Spotify earns a lot of money. But they also pay a lot of money to the rights holders. The labels get the most but they don't pay enough to the songwriters. There are indipendent artists who do not have a label and they earn enough from Spotify and streaming royaties.
And I liked it..

turnaround

My favourite line of this article is:

Lewis was one of fourteen people credited for the song (some of whom had bigger shares than others). The discrepancy between the stream count and her earnings surprised her. The numbers from other services were similar.*

QuoteErika Nuri
Mischke Butler
Tom Barnes
Heidi Rojas
Leigh-Anne Pinnock
Michelle Lewis
Kyle Coleman
Perrie Edwards
Jade Thirlwall
Jesy Nelson
Iain James
Ben Kohn
Peter Kelleher
Christopher Dotson
And I liked it..

onepass

14 people to write a song!?  Nobody is going to make any money like that.

Performers and songwriters get screwed out of royalties. Its always been that way. There is nobody checking the books to makes sure the label is paying the right amounts of money so everyone ends up with a fraction of what they should have made. I heard Warner Bros. is really bad for it. As long as nobody is checking the books performers and songwriters will always get shit pay.

turnaround

And I liked it..

j.fco.morales

turnaround

And I liked it..

nanofives

I hope there would be out there more artists like Laleh who can do everything on their own, including writing, producing, arranging and programming. These people are the rarest talents.