• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Anyone here get a similar pop rush from Zedd as they do from Max?

Started by RoyFan, January 14, 2015, 09:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyFan

I think Zedd is on par with some of the great stuff Max has done recently.  Even though it's more aggressively synthesized music, I get a similar awesome rush
from his music as I do from Max's strong stuff.

How do other people feel about Zedd?  On Max's level?

I have a hunch they'll continue to collaborate since Zedd is awesome with tracks, and Max is obviously a master top liner.  If "break free" is an indication, there might be some great stuff ahead

j.fco.morales

I don't agree.

I just hope that this trend of over-plastic sounding tracks is over soon...

sweetmelody

Quote from: RoyFan on January 14, 2015, 09:08:56 PM
  I think Zedd is on par with some of the great stuff Max has done recently.  Even though it's more aggressively synthesized music, I get a similar awesome rush
from his music as I do from Max's strong stuff.

How do other people feel about Zedd?  On Max's level?

I have a hunch they'll continue to collaborate since Zedd is awesome with tracks, and Max is obviously a master top liner.  If "break free" is an indication, there might be some great stuff ahead

I like Zedd. He's a very current producer (and obviously a great EDM producer as well) and is well-deserving of his success. On Max's level? You mean as a producer? Zedd is not a writer. As far as being a producer, his two biggest hits in terms of chart success (Beauty and a Beat + Break Free) were written and co-produced by Max.

RoyFan

Quote from: sweetmelody on January 15, 2015, 03:51:48 PM
On Max's level? You mean as a producer? Zedd is not a writer. As far as being a producer, his two biggest hits in terms of chart success (Beauty and a Beat + Break Free) were written and co-produced by Max.

So glad someone else sees the beauty in his music Melody! :-)    I meant the OVERALL finished songs by Zedd, if they affect you as profoundly of some of Max's masterpieces.

And on Zedd being a writer, I think it's a matter of semantics.  I don't consider writing Just the top line melody and words.  The chord progressions are crucial, just like
when Luke and Max write and Max does the topline like the chorus of "SUBG" and countless other awesome melodies, you still need the chords underneath and they also contribute. 

And Zedd does the chords to all of his songs.. and they're quite masterful like in "Clarity"  and "Stay The Night".   

j.fco.morales

He is a co-writer: I think he works in the topline and works music and melody with his writing partner.

I think he's talented, the thing is that I don't enjoy his productions.
His songs just piano+voice sounds really good.

bugmenot

RoyFan

Quote from: j.fco.morales on January 15, 2015, 04:30:03 PM
He is a co-writer: I think he works in the topline and works music and melody with his writing partner.

I think he's talented, the thing is that I don't enjoy his productions.
His songs just piano+voice sounds really good.

Interesting J - Any specific cases or interviews you know? I know "Clarity" and "Spectrum" top line were all Mathew Komma.  "Find You" was Komma and Miriam Bryant.
I know that Zedd sometimes edits toplines together, and changes chords after the top line is done.

sweetmelody

I'm pretty sure has topliners write to his tracks, mainly. He might edit things here and there but I've never heard that he actually writes stuff. Props to him if he does!

As for chords being part of writing, absolutely true. I was referring to melody and lyrics though.

Dr. Fleischman

I'm not a big fan of Zedd but I appreciate the talent. He's very musical for shure. What could be a problem for him in the future is that he has a certain style which  makes his tracks similar to each other.

Really good track, this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohs0a-QnFF4

RoyFan

Quote from: Dr. Fleischman on January 15, 2015, 08:27:10 PM
What could be a problem for him in the future is that he has a certain style which  makes his tracks similar to each other.

Kinda,   there are certain elements that repeat.  He uses that techno uplifter to death  But his chord progressions are actually quite varied from song to song, probably more so than Luke's, at least Luke's well known songs. And the overall sound "paintings" he does also differ quite  a bit,
"Stay The Night" "Clarity" , "Spectrum" and "Find You"  are definitely unique imho.

j.fco.morales

Well, every song comes from a different place: everyone that makes music knows it.

You always have an idea to develop and if you're a musical person, you always come up with a melody idea for the chorus and/or verse.
I don't think he just make a track for someone to write...

sweetmelody

Whatever Zedd does, I'm a fan overall. He's only going to get bigger. Very well-liked and very well connected. Props to him!

RoyFan

Quote from: j.fco.morales on January 16, 2015, 04:01:22 PM
I don't think he just make a track for someone to write...

I don't know about EVERY song he's ever done.  But I've heard him say "Matthew Komma and Miriam Bryant are my  GO TOs whenever I need a great top line" - But I do know for sure
that with "Find You" he edited their parts after they sang.  And I know again that he edited the track of "Clarity" AFTER Matthew Komma wrote the topline.

So the songs that I love by him I know other people did the top line.  Again in "Stay The Night", his original piano part "picks out" individual notes so in that sense he contributed much more to that topline cause the co writer incorporated those notes into the melody.

melodicmoonlight

Matthew is a great topliner. Very poetic/singer-songwriter-esque

RoyFan

Quote from: melodicmoonlight on January 17, 2015, 07:15:06 PM
Matthew is a great topliner. Very poetic/singer-songwriter-esque

Yea he's really great.  I think "Clarity" is timeless.  A lot of people describe "Teenage Dream" (the song) that way.  Even though I'm a huge Max/Luke fan I prefer "Clarity" to
"Teenage"  as far as a classic for the ages. 

I don't quite know to explain why this re-surgence in great music is happening now.  But we should all enjoy it, because once upon a time I was a kid in the 80's hearing classic
after classic being made right before my eyes and I took it for granted.  I never thought it will all end and we'd be in the dark ages with "Limp Bizkit" 20 years later.

Thank god for whatever has gotten us back on course and hopefully it's here to stay this time.