• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Crispy drums

Started by jv2612, November 20, 2012, 03:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j.fco.morales

Vengeance are some of the best sample library out there, Luke uses these all the time.

You know who omeone who uses a lot of Addictive drums: Ryan Tedder.

DSonthebeat

They're good but you have to be careful, the problem with commercial sample libraries is that they're not made to do great records... they're made to be appealing, and these 2 things don't always belong the same place. They're heavily processed, limited to hell, I often find myself putting a transient designer just to smoothen up the attack, they are good in solo but then you start compressing on the buss and putting a limiter on the master and the kick start to have less bass than the snare... :-\
"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

j.fco.morales

Yes, that's right. But it takes some time to build your own sound and the best way to learn is using some "build" stuff -I don't know how to say it well- just to know how to replicate the sound you want to get.

In the Ryan Tedder case, I think he doesn't waste too much time on drums, focusing his craft in songwriting and melodies... just like Max. But I think Cirkut or Luke are more into the sound designing/music production side of music.

DSonthebeat

Yeah that's what I really like about Cirkut since I come from EDM, sound design is so important to me :P
What I DON'T like about Tedder drums is that they don't allow any build up or progression of the arrangement, it's like ON/OFF on the rhythmic, I guess this give him much more freedom on composition and leaves room for the singer performance but I find this as an improved 101 technique of producing records. I think Max Martin is a good compromise in between these 2, he tends to create progression with arrangement and tiny particulars but at least he does!  :D
"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

J_A24

Quote from: j.fco.morales on August 26, 2013, 02:23:54 AM
Yes, that's right. But it takes some time to build your own sound and the best way to learn is using some "build" stuff -I don't know how to say it well- just to know how to replicate the sound you want to get.

In the Ryan Tedder case, I think he doesn't waste too much time on drums, focusing his craft in songwriting and melodies... just like Max. But I think Cirkut or Luke are more into the sound designing/music production side of music.

You're right, and that's exactly why Luke loves a writing/production team for every song, because he wants the best song possible in every aspect and with every record he's involved in. I'd say Luke is much more involved in the songwriting process and is the watching eye of each project, but having Cirkut and other songwriters by his side enables him to do it. That's why his records are a notch above everyone else.

Max is kinda the same way, but his approach is much more similar to a singer/songwriter's since he used to be one.

nznexus

Quote from: j.fco.morales on August 26, 2013, 12:32:15 AM
Vengeance are some of the best sample library out there, Luke uses these all the time.

You know who omeone who uses a lot of Addictive drums: Ryan Tedder.

i hear the evengeance libraries are ready and processed all you need to do is apply just some eq. they compress and eq everything

does max martin use vengeance libraries too? Really?
music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: nznexus on September 27, 2013, 10:02:47 AM

i hear the evengeance libraries are ready and processed all you need to do is apply just some eq. they compress and eq everything

does max martin use vengeance libraries too? Really?

I'm not sure about Max, but Luke does. He said that on the ASCAP conference some time ago, you can find it on full on Youtube!

AlexanderLaBrea

Pretty sure they all more or less use Vengeance's stuff from time to time as they're industry standard. Vengeance has a sample pack called Pop Essentials that is really good for the Max Martin-y kind of drums. And yes he does shit loads of layering, but that takes good ear and skill. You could use two kicks and get a fat sound, the problem is that you won't get a very "one of a kind" sound. Parallel compression is a very good tip I read some posts back. Little bit of room etc.

nznexus

also vengeance millenium pop 1 and 2 for synths and organs in nexus vst.

for drums akai 2500 samples layered with other samples like addictive drums from xln audio i think
music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.

J_A24

You guys would be surprised of the samples they use, you probably have them yourselves. It's all about layering and processing. Really heavy processing. Don't be scared to fvck things up; Try everything on drums, from distortion to saturation to bitcrushing even guitar amps, who cares? It gives more character to your sounds. Start with your drums, process them and when you have something you feel excited about, you can start building everything up.

Vengeance, the Deadmau5 drum pack, Ueberschall, Hy2rogen full phat drums series, they cut samples from other songs and from their own songs too.

nznexus

Quote from: J_A24 on October 21, 2013, 05:38:52 PM
You guys would be surprised of the samples they use, you probably have them yourselves. It's all about layering and processing. Really heavy processing. Don't be scared to fvck things up; Try everything on drums, from distortion to saturation to bitcrushing even guitar amps, who cares? It gives more character to your sounds. Start with your drums, process them and when you have something you feel excited about, you can start building everything up.

Vengeance, the Deadmau5 drum pack, Ueberschall, Hy2rogen full phat drums series, they cut samples from other songs and from their own songs too.

i spoke to a guy who knows swedish house mafia axwell, and asked if he layered his drums they said they were sampling alot of kicks... there is no rules, it just sounds good..

ueberschall is old samples from like 2005...

j.fco.morales

I'm not that into layering drums in electronic stuff, but in other genres of course...

I'm really feeling the Greg Kurstin drums, but I'm not really sure about the way he makes his sounds: sometimes sounds like a patch, but he recorded drums live... so, maybe he uses both layered.

What do you guys think? Have you heard the Tegan and Sara last record? That's what I mean.

pete729

Quote from: j.fco.morales on October 22, 2013, 04:07:25 PM
I'm not that into layering drums in electronic stuff, but in other genres of course...

I'm really feeling the Greg Kurstin drums, but I'm not really sure about the way he makes his sounds: sometimes sounds like a patch, but he recorded drums live... so, maybe he uses both layered.

What do you guys think? Have you heard the Tegan and Sara last record? That's what I mean.

Producers that use live drums, usually they mix the overheads with electronic beats in the chorus of the song to give more power

j.fco.morales

Quote from: pete729 on October 22, 2013, 04:11:17 PM
Producers that use live drums, usually they mix the overheads with electronic beats in the chorus of the song to give more power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjgDuImuD_4

Check this out, these kind of drums :)

J_A24

Quote from: nznexus on October 22, 2013, 09:43:32 AM
i spoke to a guy who knows swedish house mafia axwell, and asked if he layered his drums they said they were sampling alot of kicks... there is no rules, it just sounds good..

ueberschall is old samples from like 2005...

You can make old samples sound new. Specially percussive loops, those are always good to have in hand.