• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

What is Max's strike rate ?

Started by davpet, June 18, 2008, 06:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davpet

Of the songs Max writes and produces for big pop artists at major labels what percentage of those are hits ?

I'm guessing it's around 10-15% (which is amazing). He probably had a strike rate of about 25% during the 1998-2000 period. Of the modern producers Timbaland probably has the highest average at the moment at about 20%. These estimates are probably way too high, seriously.

ahmed

i think max martin is a songwriter,music maker and creates art,he is not a hit maker, because producers like tibmaland and pharrell wiliams can be described as hit makers,

max 's music is better than timbaland and pharrell wiliams music but those tow have more hits.

timbaland works with famous singers and big names but max works with new singers or unknown singers.

the biggest names max martin worked with are backstreet boys and britney  he presented them to the world and they became big superstars thanks to max.

the other singers that worked with max quickly gone or can't reach high level of stardom in the world of music.

since he started doing the rock music he didn't present new big names to the world of music,....... pink was already known singer, and clarckson was known from the american idol.

so i think max martin is a song writer, creates music and art,not a hit maker.

gm33

I feel like Max has turned into predominately a hit maker, which I think is unfortunate. I miss the days where he would be commissioned to work on an entire or almost entire album, like BSB's Millennium or Marion Raven's album. Granted you can be a songwriter and only contribute a few songs, but I feel like Max is only asked to contribute to an album in today's world with the sole intention of creating a hit -- which I feel has lead to slight decline in his music (it's just my personal preference and I know there are style differences but for example Behind These Hazel Eyes is miles better than "I Don't Think So" or "Tap That").
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I was writing with Max Martin and Johan Shellback who are two of my absolute songwriting heroes, they are just absolute melodic geniuses." - Taylor Alison Swift,  August 2012

davpet

I'm sorry this post is going off track - i didn't want to discuss whether Max is considered a songwriter or whether he is considered a hitmaker.

I wanted to know what his strike rate is at writing and producing hit songs ?

Rebecca

this is an interesting topic.

I reckon his strike rate is higher than 20%

we should try to work it out!

Do we just look at the songs released as singles?

it seems that nearly every single is a hit.

what would everyone consider a hit? Top 10? Top 40?

Feelgoodlies

Strike Rate would be above 25%,I personally think he is higher than Timbaland.

This guys is a genius,even the songs he has done that haven't charted higher,are close to everyone.

davpet

Quote from: Rebecca on June 19, 2008, 01:29:27 PM
this is an interesting topic.

I reckon his strike rate is higher than 20%

we should try to work it out!

Do we just look at the songs released as singles?

it seems that nearly every single is a hit.

what would everyone consider a hit? Top 10? Top 40?

I would say you take the singles (usually maximum of four) that made the the Top 20 of the Billboard Mainstream Top 40.

So for BSB's "Millennium", Max contributed to the four singles and they all landed in the Top 20 therefore a strike rate of 100%.

For Kelly Clarkson's breakaway, Max only contributed two songs and they were both hits -  100% again.

For Backstreet Boys's "Never Gone", Max contributed four songs and none of them made the Top 20 - therefore a strike rate of 0%.

Unexpected

^^ , what about Baby one more time/Crazy ,  Oops/Stronger/Lucky ,

Overprotected/Not a girl  (UK)

Who Knew/U+Ur hand ,

Rebecca

ok I'm on it! Top 20 then!

I'll summarise something and let you guys know!

ahmed

'' baby one more time'' is the biggest max martin hit in his career.

Raul_esp

Quote from: ahmed on June 24, 2008, 10:47:56 PM
'' baby one more time'' is the biggest max martin hit in his career.

yes , one of the most greatest songs in the history , the best pop song in the history

Rebecca

Dave (or anyone), I just wanted to clarify this

Eg, for Britney's Oops album, Max wrote 7 songs and there were 4 singles.

Oops, I Did It Again (Max)      Hit
Stronger (Max)                  Hit
Lucky (Max)                     Hit
Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know (non-Max)

so, would it be
100% 3 of Max's songs were released and 3 were hits
OR
75%  3 out of 4 singles released were Max's and were hits
OR
43%  3 out of 7 songs that Max wrote were hits

I'm finalising Max's Strike Rate, so hopefully won't be too much longer!

*Sabine*

I would only count the songs released as singles as it's perfectly normal for a regular album song not to get some airplay or to be in billboard.
by the way, gm33, you were saying you missed the days when max did a whole album...he still does, look very recently Carolina Liar!

davpet

Quote from: Rebecca on July 30, 2008, 01:12:48 PM
Dave (or anyone), I just wanted to clarify this

Eg, for Britney's Oops album, Max wrote 7 songs and there were 4 singles.

Oops, I Did It Again (Max)      Hit
Stronger (Max)                  Hit
Lucky (Max)                     Hit
Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know (non-Max)

so, would it be
100% 3 of Max's songs were released and 3 were hits
OR
75%  3 out of 4 singles released were Max's and were hits
OR
43%  3 out of 7 songs that Max wrote were hits

I'm finalising Max's Strike Rate, so hopefully won't be too much longer!

I would say 75% 3 out of 4 singles released were Max's and were hits.

Rarely will an artist release more than four singles, and if they release less often the album is tanking with no hits (see Janet Jackson's new album)

Rebecca

Great, thanks Dave and Sabine, I will go with 75%, that does make the most sense.