• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Kim Petras - Slut Pop EP (Dr. Luke)

Started by nanofives, February 11, 2022, 01:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugmenot

It was much better when there were 100 musicians who were getting 99% of radio time. There simply weren't any other musicians, no delusions, no ruined and wasted lives in hopes of getting super mega rich. Even Elvis Presley was working full time as an electrician.

McCartneyMartin

Quote from: Helluvafella on February 25, 2022, 12:25:32 AM
Honestly, I hate that. Songs get shorter and shorter because (yes, we have shorter attention spans) but more importantly because shorter songs generate more streams on Spotify. Instead of getting paid by physical sales, artists getting paid in a stream, which only counts if someone listens to 30 seconds of a song. It actually makes sense if you can have more songs streamed at a time, which means that you want to pack your album full of much shorter songs. So if you have an album like Drake's Scorpion, which is a really long double album coming in at almost 90 minutes, he's got a ton of really short songs on there, because he gets paid for every song you listen to, whether or not you listen to the whole album. So basically Spotify is the cause. Not only are songs getting shorter, but the way artists are introducing their songs is changing. Gone is the era of long intros that sort of slowly get you into the song. Today, we are not only seeing songs getting shorter, but there is a sort of a new song structure, where basically a song, at the very beginning, will play a hint of the chorus in the first five to 10 seconds so that the hook is in your ear, hoping that you'll stick around till about 30 seconds in when the full chorus eventually comes in.
I mean I'm not one to toot my own horn but most singles during the 50s and 60s and average length for song was no more than three minutes due to the fact that this was during the age of jukeboxs and the limitations of a 45 RPM single (until of course till the late sixties where you have Hey Jude being one of the longest to be on a 7" at around 7 mins) by having people throw more money into it for repetition place to put it in general terms songs were shorter so that way a person got their money's worth hey I got a chance for more people to keep spinning the song hence more plays. By the time the late 60s arrived, music shifted from less of a singles market to more often album oriented one having more room to have longer songs with more improvisation and creative freedom. That kept going until at least till the Advent of the CD in the 90s and 2000s whereas people wanted more bang for their Buck due to rising inflation and only wanted to have the songs they wanted to hear either from the radio or from a commercial etc instead of having to buy the whole record. 2003 with a turning point with the introduction of the iTunes store and the MP3 player the iPod in 2001 was a game changer with that it slowly turned back into a singles market leaving a small audience still preferring the album oriented route. Going up to the current day with streaming and artists releasing songs that don't even show up on the albums they release that and the shorter length we come full circle from the 1950s and 60s. History repeats itself but is doomed to have done wrong.

Fun fact The Beatles never had a song that wen t beyond 3 minutes until 1965 when Ticket To Ride was released with a then astonishing 3 minutes and 15 seconds (depending on pressing).

Helluvafella

Quote from: bugmenot on February 25, 2022, 07:54:02 AM
It was much better when there were 100 musicians who were getting 99% of radio time. There simply weren't any other musicians, no delusions, no ruined and wasted lives in hopes of getting super mega rich. Even Elvis Presley was working full time as an electrician.

I kind of agree.

As an avid listener, I feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of releases. Back in 2000 we had around 70.000 releases per year. Now we're at 70.000 per day. This leads to music being disposable as fuck. I see rappers, DJ's, even Instagram models release a shitty new song per month. I mean, as a songwriter this feels like total madness.

Max Martin talked about "killing his babies", basically ditching ideas until you come up with the perfect one. Nowadays it seems that people only care about quantity over quality.

j.fco.morales

Well, that's not songwriters or streaming services fault.

It is what it is, I don't understand the point about shorter songs, new types of structures and stuff.

bugmenot

Unreleased Dance To Forget
Produced by Aaron Joseph & Dr. Luke