• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Katy Perry - "PRISM" out NOW!

Started by B Steady, July 30, 2013, 10:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Steady

There are two things I just don't get:

1st the clicks in Unconditionally. I mean they must be deliberate but then I don't know why. It sounds like they forgot to set the fades ...

2nd the TIHWD pre chorus. How could Max let this happen?!
Vila i frid Dag

j.fco.morales

Quote from: B Steady on October 19, 2013, 01:59:03 PM

1st the clicks in Unconditionally. I mean they must be deliberate but then I don't know why. It sounds like they forgot to set the fades ...

I don't get the same things you don't get: that prechorus.
And that error of edition on Walking on Air... and that need of talking in the songs, I don't like that at all.

And I've been singing Legendary Lovers all day, I showed the song to a singer I work with -and he hates pop- and said it sounds like a mix of Lana del Rey and Florence and the Machine, which is I agree.

B Steady

Vila i frid Dag

melodicmoonlight

Quote from: B Steady on October 19, 2013, 01:59:03 PM

wait, please explain what's wrong with the TIHWD pre chorus. you don't like the "it's no big deal"?

georg_e

I love the Indian music elements in breakdown of "Unconditonally"........sounds like tabla, mixed with other things? Brilliant use of this in a power ballad....more I hear this song, get ready.......it will be "Unescapably" on radio.

The clicks, B.........just an audio hook to keep it fresh, love them.  I agree on that prechorus of TIHWD though.....thank god that is basically a throwaway song anyway.......the REAL "How We Do" (Rita Ora) is 100x better than this.......

B Steady

Quote from: georg_e on October 19, 2013, 06:36:46 PM
   I love the Indian music elements in breakdown of "Unconditonally"........sounds like tabla, mixed with other things? Brilliant use of this in a power ballad....more I hear this song, get ready.......it will be "Unescapably" on radio.

The clicks, B.........just an audio hook to keep it fresh, love them.  I agree on that prechorus of TIHWD though.....thank god that is basically a throwaway song anyway.......the REAL "How We Do" (Rita Ora) is 100x better than this.......

You mean Legendary Lovers instead of Unconditionally right?

What's fresh about clicks???!!!?

Melodicmoonlight: yes!
Vila i frid Dag

georg_e

Quote from: B Steady on October 19, 2013, 06:41:40 PM
You mean Legendary Lovers instead of Unconditionally right?

What's fresh about clicks???!!!?

Melodicmoonlight: yes!
No, "Unconditionally"......that is an Indian rythym on that part, and to my ears, there's some kind of Indian instrument in there, but maybe our new Forum member from India can help on this? (Will buy CD on Tuesday anyway, so maybe it's in liner notes....)

Clicks.......can't answer that question for you except to say imagine that part without them.......then.......see why they did it?

B Steady

Ah now I heard it! :)

I don't mean the "snare click" I mean that there's something clicking after each "snare" sound. It sounds like they forgot to make an fade-out of an audio clip.
Vila i frid Dag

georg_e

Quote from: B Steady on October 19, 2013, 07:09:40 PM
Ah now I heard it! :)

I don't mean the "snare click" I mean that there's something clicking after each "snare" sound. It sounds like they forgot to make an fade-out of an audio clip.
Wow good ears....I can't hear exactly what you mean though.  Which headphone (left or right) is it loudest in? I listened about 5 times, and all I hear after the "snare click" is that kind of "sucking" effect, like a reverse something or other, but I'm sure that's not what you mean......can't hear any extra 'clicks' there. (I'm listening to the VEVO lyric video on YOuTube).

B Steady

I heard the CD loud on my stereo and there it was pretty obvious - at least to me
Vila i frid Dag

georg_e

Quote from: B Steady on October 19, 2013, 07:37:46 PM
I heard the CD loud on my stereo and there it was pretty obvious - at least to me
I'll keep trying.....fascinated by these things.  It's funny when you first mentioned "clicks" my first thought was this track by Cirkut from 2012 which has these really cool off-beat clicks in the left headphone which mimic the pattern of the kick drum, but the clicks are totally syncopated, off the beat...pretty unique.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Pa1_96iMU

B Steady

Vila i frid Dag

B Steady

Back to the clicks: I hear them more on the left side. It simply doesn't sound clean. There's also something like a crackle, that's ok but there are clearly some clicks and they're making me crazy :D
Vila i frid Dag

B Steady

Referring to "Better than I know myself":

Listen to Rihanna - You Da One and B.o.B - Both Of Us. There they used the same or at least similar sounds and arrangements/patterns.

Btw: I've been listening to Both Of Us like 100 times since it's out (May 2012) but only a few days ago I discovered a new element in the production: after any 2 bars you can hear an "ooh ooh", it's probably Taylor's voice but I never heard it before. I was like: wtf? How did I never hear this before?!
Vila i frid Dag

j.fco.morales

About Unconditionally: the FX on the snare -it's like a Lana del Rey esque percussion snare- is a reverb patch.
And I'm not sure if the sounds you hear is the same I hear: they're panned to the right, isn't? If so, they're sticks.

On the middle eight actually, there's some indian stuff that sounds like a pizzicato.
It's layered under a organ sound doing the chords.

I'd love to hear the bass track: I want to know is that's a synth bass.
With so much layering it's hard to figure it out.

And I loved that Adam Lambert track, I still can't understand how the song didn't chart better...