• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Chart success of Max Martin over the years

Started by heyheyhey, December 03, 2017, 11:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heyheyhey

I am interested in chart success of producers.

I don't know if this has been done / or is done elsewhere but i decided to plot the chart success of Max over the years.
To calculate his success i checked if each of his songs is in the billboard hot 100 chart. If the song is No 1 it gets 100 points, No 2 gets 99 points, etc., No 100 gets 1 point. These values are added together for all charts of one year.

My result is as follows:

No guarantee for correctness. The script used, the songlist and a list of the added values for each year ('Max_Martin_Output_10-12-17')  can be found on: https://github.com/3ngthrust/calculate-chart-success-2

nanofives

You should incorporate data from other major countries like UK or Australia, that would be a bit more accurate since the idea of USA being the center of the universe is bullshit, a lot of songs chart outside the US, see Rita ora.

backgammonfiend

how did this mans get points in more 2002 and 2003 when he released like 10 songs each year than in 2001 when he was still grinding

heyheyhey

QuoteYou should incorporate data from other major countries like UK or Australia, that would be a bit more accurate since the idea of USA being the center of the universe is bullshit, a lot of songs chart outside the US, see Rita ora.

I could look into the uk singles charts on billboard. It has to be on billboard, because those can be fetched easely. But they only have 20 positions, and the oldest chart online seems to be from 2011-01-29 with only 10 positions, but i can try.

Quotehow did this mans get points in more 2002 and 2003 when he released like 10 songs each year than in 2001 when he was still grinding

Yeah, this thing works by comparing the song titles. Sadly these titles are reused more often than i thought. So e.g. in 2002 the song with the title "Complicated" gets him some points (see https://github.com/3ngthrust/calculate-chart-success/blob/master/output_max_martin_02_12_17 ). Max has written a song with this title but the points would belong to avril's song. Because of reused song titles he sometimes gets more points than he should get.

So this not 100% exact and not good for comparing small differences. Still pretty shure that the general trend is right though and that Max e.g. was more successful on billboard in 2015 than ever before and crashed pretty hard chart wise.

backgammonfiend

so what you're saying is that the chart is wrong

shouldn't be that hard to fix if you limit the scanner to only detect chart entries sharing the name to within 2 years of the actual Max song's release. there might still be duplicates in that time, but i bet the Max song will be more popular, the difference should be negligible.

Max getting thousands of points for work by The Matrix, Darkchild is ugh

heyheyhey

Seems to be interest here for this kind of analysis.
I will look into it and try to come up with a way to get a precise evaluation.

heyheyhey

I reprogrammed the script. Not only song titles are checked but also the artist. Now the results look far more accurate. I updated the first post to picture the new result. The added values for each year can be checked on https://github.com/3ngthrust/calculate-chart-success-2/blob/master/Max_Martin_Output_06-12-17 . Let me know if somebody still misses a song in this list or finds another mistake in there.

nanofives

You added last year can't make you love me, which is a song that did not chart and was released 17 years ago.
You should add songs that max was involved in the production like Focus by Ariana, and if you all agree, songs that max had some kind of input like everyday or love myself or out of the woods.

heyheyhey

Good find. I tweaked the search again and included all the songs written or produced from Max's Wikipedia discography ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Martin_production_discography ) in the search list. The result looks pretty good to me.

The plot in the first post is updated. The result can be checked on: https://github.com/3ngthrust/calculate-chart-success-2/blob/master/Max_Martin_Output_10-12-17

heyheyhey

To finish this project off i created two more plots:

Just for those who are interested. No guarantee for correctness.

nanofives

lol, 2013 it's an interesting year, I'd like to see how Pharrell outperformed all these 4 producers.

B Steady

Quote from: heyheyhey on December 11, 2017, 05:32:42 PM
To finish this project off i created two more plots:

Just for those who are interested. No guarantee for correctness.

It's either Karl Sandberg and Johan Schuster or Martin Sandberg and Karl Schuster.
Vila i frid Dag

heyheyhey

QuoteIt's either Karl Sandberg and Johan Schuster or Martin Sandberg and Karl Schuster.

Shure about this? English wikipedia has "Karl" as first name for both of them.

AlexanderLaBrea

It's Martin Sandberg and Johan Schuster, nothing else. Karl is secondary.

B Steady

Quote from: heyheyhey on December 14, 2017, 05:12:12 PM
Shure about this? English wikipedia has "Karl" as first name for both of them.

Wiki is really confusing. In the first sentence it says "Martin Sandberg", however the info box says "Karl Martin Sandberg" as birth name.
And now we have Alexander stating that neither of them has Karl as first name.
I guess we gotta stick with Max Martin and Shellback :D
Vila i frid Dag