• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

I Kissed A Girl Topline

Started by RoyFan, February 02, 2015, 05:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyFan

It sounds more Katy's style of top line then Luke - anyone know?

melodicmoonlight

how would anyone know this? unless we were in the writing session or in the studio.

RoyFan

because there loads of interviews and snippets when they've shared insights into how the songs came together..
just read one tonight about "Roar" -

But I don't have time to read everything - And I know lots of people here do read lots of things...

Now does it make sense? :-) :-)

RoyFan

and there's no need to go on the aggressive if it doesn't interest you. :-)  I've found out lots of good info here

j.fco.morales

Katy wrote the chorus melody and the line "I kissed a girl and I liked it".
Cathy Dennis, Max and Luke helped with the rest of the song while Luke produced it.

RoyFan

thanks buddy :)    The verse melody sounds more Max than Luke to me, but on wikipedia I reads that Max and Cathy did "additional" writing, whatever that means.

Any idea ?

do you remember where you read the details you had?  Thanks!!

sweetmelody

Would love to read the stuff on "Roar"

How do you know Katy wrong the chorus on "I Kissed A Girl"?

RoyFan

Hi Melody, here's what I read on Roar, it's a quote by Henry Walter - Cirkut, Luke's co producer

I think J's comment on "Girl" is right because on the wikipedia (a very good source) she mentions how the chorus came to her on night.  With her you can never tell if she means lyrics came to her or a tune, but I think in this case it was both

"Luke and I worked up several tracks that would have a fresh sound for Katy, and one of those became 'Roar.' The changes are simple, only two chords really. We had melodies to the tracks – without lyrics first, just vowel sounds – and then we played the track for Max Martin, and he came up with a lot of the melodies and melodic vibe. He took the track into his land, and started recording stuff on his own. He brought down most of the melody, the top-line. Then Bonnie and Katy tweaked the melody and put lyrics to it. The whole concept of empowerment – that vibe and essence – was there, but they came up with the lyrical content and the title 'Roar.' Also the wordless tag at the end of the chorus, Katy and Bonnie interwove that into the melody and made that a choppy, repetitive thing. I know people sometimes think the artist didn't have anything to do with the writing, but Katy's a great songwriter; she's very hands-on. She knows what she likes, what sounds she's going for, and is deeply involved in the creation of her music. And it became a song of female empowerment, but the lyric is gender-free. It gives a general sense of triumph to everyone who listens to it. It's an uplifting song for any listener."

sweetmelody

onepass

I have been wondering who wrote this top line.

RoyFan

i guess.. when i read about the song in wikipedia tho, Katy says she finished the song the second to last of recording the album with
"my producer in the studio" or something like that..

She says she had the chorus for a long time, and then they finished it..

So that makes think it was just her Luke and Benny Blanco.. The "additional writing" by Max and Cathy maybe is the bridge? or maybe just a word change here or there..

Never quite figured out why they would be credited if when according to her she finished the song with Luke in the very end of making the album