• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Soft Synths VS Real Synthesizers??

Started by Neal Sabel, March 22, 2017, 03:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neal Sabel

Hi everyone,

I've often wondered why musicians make the switch over from real synthesisers to soft synths, it seems quite astonishing.  Especially when you think back to the 80s and 90s where the sounds were all crafted on real synthesizers and have proven to be some of the best sounds ever created - think back to Cheiron tunes such as That Girl (Will Never Be Mine) - made on a real synthesizer, Not For Me - made on a real synthesizer, That's The Way It Is - made on a real synthesizer.  A-Ha - Take On Me - made on a real synthesizer, ALL Michael Jackson on real synthesisers.

It's funny how since the likes of Kristian Lundin and other cheiron members switched over to soft synths they haven't been able to craft or program sounds as good as back in Cheiron.  This is unsuprising as soft synths completely lack the synthesis power to make full, characterful, vibrant sounds with depth and warmth like on real synthesisers.  I also believe that people who say soft synths are better are just people who can't afford real synthesisers.  Suffice to say, I think Kristian made an epic mistake by switching to soft synths and his music has suffered greatly, in my opinion.

Not to self promote at all, but anyone who would like to hear great sounds made on a real synthesizer, the fantastic Korg Radias in fact, completely relevant to the point can do so at the link:

http://itunes.apple.com/album/id1212052933?ls=1&app=itunes

Feel free to judge these sounds and compare to soft synths, you decide which are better  :)

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Neal

j.fco.morales

I don't think it is because of the sound: people uses soft synths because the way of people producing music is different.

No more studios, laptop everywhere. It's easy, it's faster and you don't need a know a lot to get the sounds you look for.

And if you listen to this, for example... it speaks for itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVapN3zbhRk&t=827s

melodicmoonlight

Modern soft synths are amazing. I get the nostalgia and "physical" aspect of "real synths" but there's so much you can do with soft synths.

Neal Sabel

I heard the sounds on that link and they are not bad but to be honest they lack the warmness, richness, fullness and vibrance of a cutting edge real synthesizer where you can almost feel the "physical modelling."

Just put in "Yamaha Montage Synthesizer Performance with Blake Angelos" in Youtube and check out what this baby is capable of.  The richness, depth and lushness of the sounds are just something else and without programming, they are factory sounds !
I'm saving up for one of these. Hands down this beats any soft synth, ears don't lie and you just know when a sound really hits you.

Talking of sounds, check out some new sounds I programmed on my Radias for a new track here:

https://youtu.be/FXzl02zNmOw

In particular the cool Snap-Synth.

Yes I think you're right, it's an era of convenience, where no-one wants to spend 9 hours programming one sound on a a real synthesizer and everyone is just looking to sound like the charts so they use the same soft synths.  It's a shame, but when I get the montage and start programming 80s and 90s sounds with it, then you will realize the sound power of the universe :). Just wait !

MarshallHolland

Soft Synths are a lot more flexible. Also, you can't tell the difference in a mix.

TheReal

Soft synths are easier to use and more convenient obviously but you need to add the "fatness" to them using analog emulations.. this works very well.. the digital high end usually doesn't have any characteristics so you need to add the "flaws" and warmth with saturation, eq, comps etc. i wouldn't mind having a couple of hardware synths though...

Phantom9d

Quote from: TheReal on May 04, 2017, 09:17:06 PM
Soft synths are easier to use and more convenient obviously but you need to add the "fatness" to them using analog emulations.. this works very well.. the digital high end usually doesn't have any characteristics so you need to add the "flaws" and warmth with saturation, eq, comps etc. i wouldn't mind having a couple of hardware synths though...

No? why do you "need" to add analog emulations to it? It's all about the sound you want and what you're happy with. Whether it be digital or analog.

TheReal

Well you don't have to do anything but since we're talking about soft synths vs. real synths, you can hear the difference...

nznexus

i bought a real yamaha synth recently i love it. its close to soft synths but not at all
music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.

Phantom9d

Quote from: TheReal on May 26, 2017, 07:27:00 PM
Well you don't have to do anything but since we're talking about soft synths vs. real synths, you can hear the difference...

I don't know if you got a bad memory or just trolling but you said in the first post I replied to: "but you need to add the "fatness" to them using analog emulations.." I just think you're wrong mate.. and changing the subject won't help you either ;)

Case closed.  ::)

TheReal

Phantom9d,

Oh we're just getting started... you're telling me you can't spot the difference between a soft synth and analog synth by their characteristics? This is what the OP was talking about and what i was referring to.. if you are fine with the soft synths (non-sample based) then that's fine but if you want the analog characteristics then it takes some tweaking..
I suggest you to re-read the original post before you come with a rebuttal..

j.fco.morales

Calm down, guys.

And respect each other's positions.

Phantom9d

Quote from: TheReal on June 18, 2017, 11:02:51 AM
Phantom9d,

Oh we're just getting started... you're telling me you can't spot the difference between a soft synth and analog synth by their characteristics? This is what the OP was talking about and what i was referring to.. if you are fine with the soft synths (non-sample based) then that's fine but if you want the analog characteristics then it takes some tweaking..
I suggest you to re-read the original post before you come with a rebuttal..

"you're telling me you can't spot the difference between a soft synth and analog synth by their characteristics?"

I can't really take you seriously. "The best defence is attack" quote just fits perfectly in this context.  ::)

Armchair warriorism at it's finest.. Be open to other peoples opinions and don't try to change subjects or come with false accusations to prove you're right and I'm wrong.

Lol. I'm done with this now.

sonnyblack2000

This whole thread is strange to me: a rompler like a Yamaha workstation is completely different then an analog synth like a Juno-60 or a prophet-5/6. One plays back samples, the other has oscilators and filters and what not. One is digital, the other is analog etc
I personally prefer using analog synth rather then vst. Its more fun to play, to program, tweak and I like the tones they give me, but I still use vst for different colors (but using a mouse to program a sound is not as gratifying in my experience)

TheReal

I just tried to make a point here without being impolite..

As for Phantom9d...You didn't answer my question (Which indeed had everything to do with the OP)..
I take that as you dont know anything what we're talking about here so don't even bother.. I'm attacking you? Lol that's priceless..

Anyhow, yeah if i had more cash on me i'd buy an analogue synth.. although the analog sound emulations are getting very close to hardware quality, it's the fun and practical aspect of having a synth at your reach..