• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Baby One More Time Multitrack

Started by Wolf Cousin, November 16, 2015, 07:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolf Cousin

Hi guys,

I've been a regular guest for a while now. I'm so thankful for you guys sharing all this great info!

A couple of days ago I came across the official multitrack of Britney's 'Baby One More Time'. I'm sure you can even hear Max singing in the backings! Also, the famous Cheiron stab one of the members is quite obsessed with can be sampled from it (clean). Didn't come across it on the site yet so I uploaded the stems as a token of my appreciation! Keep it coming cause it has been a bit quiet here!

http://www50.zippyshare.com/v/FEnWAzyY/file.html

Thanks guys,
Wolf Cousin

bootlegger

Great! Can't wait to check it out  8)

PS. Got any more? Love those stems!

Tano87

Thanks for posting :)
I'm working on a song with all the cheiron samples :D
I can't give the right cheiron melody but the beat and sounds are there! The bad thing is that I use Reason.

I can't wait for you to hear it soon.

klukan

How do you play those "flac"-files ?

Wolf Cousin

bootlegger

They sound great.

Almost like the final master when you play 'm all layered.  ;D

SongsByGROVER

Wow this is so interesting! Threw em in protools to mess around with... cool to hear their production/mix tricks, how they've compressed all the elements and stuff like that :) Here's a few insights it gave me that i though some other people might be interested in:

- All the main stuff is in mono... The stems for drums, bass, guitar and piano sample are almost entirely mono (tiny tiny bit of stereo reverb, like 1% mix maybe). Only the synths and BVs are in the sides.

- The lead vocal is also very mono (would be rare for nowadays), and the constant 1/4 note delay on it is only in the centre too. Just with a bit of stereo reverb on the vocal (though the delay is dry and sidechained to the vocal).

- I think the vocal is quite heavily compressed too but with a pretty slow attack (maybe like 10ms) letting all the punch through in the delivery... kinda has that Fairchild limiter sound to me. Seem like the lows are cut below about 200hz with a pretty shallow filter.

- No doubles mixed in with the lead vocal, just a few on the BV track occasionally (but surprisingly little).

- The BV arrangement is crazy complicated for the choruses! And presumably that's Max doing all the layers of (mostly male) BVs?

- Some nice subtle use of the harmonic minor scale interchangeably with the standard minor scale... I never specifically noticed this before but it definitely gives the song a different vibe to a typical pop song.

- I'm pretty sure those bass slaps are automated louder to stand out, or maybe they just bypassed the compressor on them... The bass is heavily compressed except the slaps for sure. Also I was surprised how rattly and DI-sounding the bass is, but it sound amazing with just bass and drums playing. Also not much sub content in either, which lets the orch hits and occasional explosions stand out way more.

- The breath percussion sounds are cool, and the reverse cymbals that strengthen the piano hook.

- The way the kick and snare are both super compressed and have exactly the same amount of punch as each other, so you feel that solidness of four-on-the-floor even though it isn't actually that beat. Also some interesting ghost notes on the kick, eg 3:23

- Also it appears the kick and snare are accurately tuned to the song (makes sense)... kick is on a C at 65hz, though with most of the punch in the overtones around the 5th (G) at 98hz (so it will sound better on smaller speakers). And snare is on G an octave higher at 196hz (so perfect 5th on the key of the song, Cminor)... In a way the drums are playing their own simple melody! That's definitely an idea I'll be copying!

It would be cool to compare this to stems of one or more of his recent hits, see which techniques have remained over time... (if anyone has any?)

klukan

Quote from: SongsByGROVER on December 20, 2015, 05:23:55 PM
Wow this is so interesting! Threw em in protools to mess around with... cool to hear their production/mix tricks, how they've compressed all the elements and stuff like that :) Here's a few insights it gave me that i though some other people might be interested in:

- All the main stuff is in mono... The stems for drums, bass, guitar and piano sample are almost entirely mono (tiny tiny bit of stereo reverb, like 1% mix maybe). Only the synths and BVs are in the sides.

- The lead vocal is also very mono (would be rare for nowadays), and the constant 1/4 note delay on it is only in the centre too. Just with a bit of stereo reverb on the vocal (though the delay is dry and sidechained to the vocal).

- I think the vocal is quite heavily compressed too but with a pretty slow attack (maybe like 10ms) letting all the punch through in the delivery... kinda has that Fairchild limiter sound to me. Seem like the lows are cut below about 200hz with a pretty shallow filter.

- No doubles mixed in with the lead vocal, just a few on the BV track occasionally (but surprisingly little).

- The BV arrangement is crazy complicated for the choruses! And presumably that's Max doing all the layers of (mostly male) BVs?

- Some nice subtle use of the harmonic minor scale interchangeably with the standard minor scale... I never specifically noticed this before but it definitely gives the song a different vibe to a typical pop song.

- I'm pretty sure those bass slaps are automated louder to stand out, or maybe they just bypassed the compressor on them... The bass is heavily compressed except the slaps for sure. Also I was surprised how rattly and DI-sounding the bass is, but it sound amazing with just bass and drums playing. Also not much sub content in either, which lets the orch hits and occasional explosions stand out way more.

- The breath percussion sounds are cool, and the reverse cymbals that strengthen the piano hook.

- The way the kick and snare are both super compressed and have exactly the same amount of punch as each other, so you feel that solidness of four-on-the-floor even though it isn't actually that beat. Also some interesting ghost notes on the kick, eg 3:23

- Also it appears the kick and snare are accurately tuned to the song (makes sense)... kick is on a C at 65hz, though with most of the punch in the overtones around the 5th (G) at 98hz (so it will sound better on smaller speakers). And snare is on G an octave higher at 196hz (so perfect 5th on the key of the song, Cminor)... In a way the drums are playing their own simple melody! That's definitely an idea I'll be copying!

It would be cool to compare this to stems of one or more of his recent hits, see which techniques have remained over time... (if anyone has any?)

Very interesting to hear your thoughts about the production from a producer/mixer's point of view @SongsByGROVER .. Check this thread with stems from other Max productions http://www.swedishsongs.de/smf/index.php?topic=3068.msg40502#msg40502.

Would be great to hear your thoughts on some of those too!

SongsByGROVER

Awesome, will do when i get a chance!

Tano87

These tracks I guess are not finalized because also a few sounds and fx are missing like the wind fx on the bridge before the line "Oh pretty baby (ah ah) I shouldn't have let you gooooooooooooo".

Trihard

Her voice sounds amazing when you can hear it that clearly. Now I feel sad that I was too young to appreciate this song back then

nbulp

Wow, I die! Thank you for sharing!

Cheiron Meets Thizz

Quote from: Trihard on January 06, 2016, 12:58:46 PM
Her voice sounds amazing when you can hear it that clearly. Now I feel sad that I was too young to appreciate this song back then

Really? Wasn't that song made for young people. I was in 1st grade and had the hugest crush on her . . and her voice. I don't admit it often but I've been to 3 Britney Spears concerts when I was younger

WhatTheFox

Can someone re-upload the multitrack?  :-X