• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

"Baby One More Time" Reference!

Started by Feelgoodlies, January 15, 2009, 10:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feelgoodlies

OK guys, I know it's been a whole ten years since this song has been out, and I am still stuck on the core meaning of the line "Hit me baby one more time", oh well, there are so many interpretations, of course she doesn't literally ask her baby to HIT her :D, but I guess she means "look me in the eye again?", since I thought it's been used again in N Sync song "Just Don't Tell Me That" in the part where Justin says "Hit me with your gloden eye", so I thought maybe it means the same :-[, I am still not sure..., English can be misleading sometimes!

What about you?

starstruck52

Basically it means "come back to me" or you know, "give me one more chance". We say "hit me" all the time here, like "hit me on my cell phone" or "hit me back later". Basically it's a "get back to me" type of thing.

clabbelito

What it means, of course, is "f**k me baby one more time", as in "I'd hit that".

Rebecca

yeah, I think it is "call me" or get back to me like Starstruck says.
I remember reading an article that it was "phone me" but people might think it was hit me (like punch me) so that's why there's the "....."

Quote from: clabbelito on January 16, 2009, 12:45:10 AM
What it means, of course, is "f**k me baby one more time", as in "I'd hit that".

I don't think it's "hit me" like "I'd hit that", I thought the saying "I'd hit that" has only been around a few years (maybe 3 or 4?), not from 10 years ago?

Feelgoodlies

Quote from: starstruck52 on January 15, 2009, 11:02:53 PM
Basically it means "come back to me" or you know, "give me one more chance". We say "hit me" all the time here, like "hit me on my cell phone" or "hit me back later". Basically it's a "get back to me" type of thing.
Oh thanks a lot starstruck, now I guess it makes sense, lol my interpretation wasn't really accurate, and thanks Rebecca!

@ clabbelito: LOL... your own interpretation is a bit strong, and yes I guess it makes sense, but I don't think that's what she meant!

*Sabine*

Yes, it means catch my attention, smth like that. I remember reading about the controversial aspect of these lyrics when the song was released. Some stupid people said Britney had masochistic tendencies but it was explaibed by Jive that the writer of the song was Swedish and didn't use English perfectly back then (which is so wrong by the way)... I wonder who this writer is by the way! :P

Unexpected

Yeah I have always thought of that , but in the Blackjack the player says (Hit me) means  more cards , so I guess it's the same here .

Rebecca

Quote from: Feelgoodlies on January 15, 2009, 10:04:47 PM
OK guys, I know it's been a whole ten years since this song has been out, and I am still stuck on the core meaning of the line "Hit me baby one more time", oh well, there are so many interpretations, of course she doesn't literally ask her baby to HIT her :D, but I guess she means "look me in the eye again?", since I thought it's been used again in N Sync song "Just Don't Tell Me That" in the part where Justin says "Hit me with your gloden eye", so I thought maybe it means the same :-[, I am still not sure..., English can be misleading sometimes!

What about you?

But what does "Hit me with your golden eye" mean?
I have never heard that expression before.

Alex Martin

Feelgoodlies

Quote from: Rebecca on January 17, 2009, 07:12:39 AM
Quote from: Feelgoodlies on January 15, 2009, 10:04:47 PM

What about you?

But what does "Hit me with your golden eye" mean?
I have never heard that expression before.
I don't know, but  my interpretation to that is "look at me with your goldeneyes" by golden he means "evil"?.. told ya English is misleading...

Rebecca

yeah, I suppose it is 'evil eye'
the writers are probably James Bond fans as well.

Feelgoodlies

Quote from: Rebecca on January 17, 2009, 10:09:16 PM
yeah, I suppose it is 'evil eye'
the writers are probably James Bond fans as well.
LOL.. and wow their English is just very good, even native speakers get stuck on the core meaning!

ray

I don't know if it has been posted on this forum before, but there is a video where the TLC members  explain why they turned it down:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1715769/tlc-britney-spears-baby-one-more-time.jhtml

Voodoo

max martin said himself it means "give it to me." as in "hit me with it." lyrics are about a breakup and shes saying give it to me again.