• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Lead vocal sound

Started by Will-M, July 27, 2012, 10:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will-M

Hi there,

I'm, as most of you overhere, a huge admirer of all the songs & production which Max made.
Everytime I put on his songs something catches my ear and I can't really place what it is...
All lead vocals seem to have some sort of light flanger effect on it.
If you hear the Katy Perry , Usher songs etc you'll probably hear what i'm hearing..

So again: my guess it's some sort of flanger...but what do ya'll think?

Thanks

nznexus

yes.. you are right

i read in a interview about doctor luke who makes all these songs and he said he uses a meta flanger on the vocals...

:) He uses it all the time..
music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.

Joshua

There would definitely be vocal doubling going on, either using two separate vocal takes, or a duplicate of the one take with one pitched slightly higher or lower than the other. There would often be plenty of 'chorus' effect no doubt as well... but I'm guessing here. I'm just as curious as you are, I've always wanted to know how they mix their vocals. Cool to know about the meta flanger, I'm going to check that out. :)

Will-M

Hi

yeah I already knew about Luke using it...
Trying it on my vocal doesn't really sound similiar though...

Maybe just trying to play around with it

LG

I would guess they double it and use VocAlign. I know that Pink had some lead vocals in the verse with only one track and some words doubled!

Luke also says that he's using the L2 but keep in mind:
They use this during the production process, the track will be mixed by an incredible mixer like Serban Ghenea. In addition to that Serban says that he mixes only ITB but then it turns out that the track was recorded through fat analog outboard gear ;)

Serban is probably using a huge rack of outboard gear too.  :D

Joshua

Max loves a good "double a word here and there" in the verses. Thanks for mentioning VocAlign, I hadn't heard of it... I always assumed they were awesome at doing it manually! Any idea how plug-ins like Waves "Doubler" compare? I'm guessing it's not as effective as recording second takes.

LG

Quote from: Joshua on November 07, 2012, 09:40:38 AM
Max loves a good "double a word here and there" in the verses. Thanks for mentioning VocAlign, I hadn't heard of it... I always assumed they were awesome at doing it manually! Any idea how plug-ins like Waves "Doubler" compare? I'm guessing it's not as effective as recording second takes.

As said. They can say what they want. You don't know if the mixing engineer takes the plugin into the mix. Luke uses Meta Flanger, Doubler and L2.

Of course it's better in most cases to have another natural take. You can still throw in a Doubler. But then there are might much better Doublers. Like Eventide etc.