• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Anyone here get a similar pop rush from Zedd as they do from Max?

Started by RoyFan, January 14, 2015, 09:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnaround

And I liked it..

hazeltone

Here are my thoughts. Zedd has created an incredibly unique sonic signature for himself in the pop/edm world. It's an aggressive sound, but it's also very palatable in a radio/pop sense. His productions are significantly more musical than his contemporaries and that's what sets him apart from the rest. Interscope and Jimmy Iovine have groomed him as a pop producer because he comes across so much better when his talent as a writer (instead of just an EDM producer) comes through, and he is a writer, make no mistake. The guy is a clasically trained pianist who creates chord progressions that are nothing short of magical. He has a way with chords that makes my soul come out of my chest.

He doesn't write his own top lines, because chords are definitely his thing. I think Max uses him as a proxy because of his unique sound, in the same way Dr. Luke uses Cirkut as a proxy for his ability as an electro/pop producer.

Personally, I think Anton (Zedd) is on the brink of a long career. Think about how young he is? Sure his sound is very topical, but if you listen to his songs done acoustically, they are still distinctively Zedd, in the same way any of us can spot a Max or a Luke song. Having that musical identity is crucial to longevity in this industry. I think if he doesn't let his sound stagnate in this very transient electro trend, he'll have a very long career ahead of him and he'll only get better.

sweetmelody

Quote from: hazeltone on March 08, 2015, 07:35:32 AM
Here are my thoughts. Zedd has created an incredibly unique sonic signature for himself in the pop/edm world. It's an aggressive sound, but it's also very palatable in a radio/pop sense. His productions are significantly more musical than his contemporaries and that's what sets him apart from the rest. Interscope and Jimmy Iovine have groomed him as a pop producer because he comes across so much better when his talent as a writer (instead of just an EDM producer) comes through, and he is a writer, make no mistake. The guy is a clasically trained pianist who creates chord progressions that are nothing short of magical. He has a way with chords that makes my soul come out of my chest.

He doesn't write his own top lines, because chords are definitely his thing. I think Max uses him as a proxy because of his unique sound, in the same way Dr. Luke uses Cirkut as a proxy for his ability as an electro/pop producer.

Personally, I think Anton (Zedd) is on the brink of a long career. Think about how young he is? Sure his sound is very topical, but if you listen to his songs done acoustically, they are still distinctively Zedd, in the same way any of us can spot a Max or a Luke song. Having that musical identity is crucial to longevity in this industry. I think if he doesn't let his sound stagnate in this very transient electro trend, he'll have a very long career ahead of him and he'll only get better.

Just as Max is very lucky to work with great producers (Luke, Shellback, Zedd), I view guys like Zedd and Luke to be very lucky to work with great writers. It's rare, but when you combine a world class producer with a world class writer (and throw a superstar artist in the mix), you're going to have greatness. Zedd is very lucky to work with amazing writers (Tedder toplined his latest one with Selena) but he is also a very, very talented guy in his own right.

hazeltone

Quote from: sweetmelody on March 08, 2015, 05:57:49 PM
Just as Max is very lucky to work with great producers (Luke, Shellback, Zedd), I view guys like Zedd and Luke to be very lucky to work with great writers. It's rare, but when you combine a world class producer with a world class writer (and throw a superstar artist in the mix), you're going to have greatness. Zedd is very lucky to work with amazing writers (Tedder toplined his latest one with Selena) but he is also a very, very talented guy in his own right.

Nailed it. It's a team effort. It's very rare to see these kind of mega hits come from one writer or one producer. I think that's the key to Max's success, he delegates to fill his weaknesses. As does Zedd.

sweetmelody

Quote from: hazeltone on March 09, 2015, 06:53:29 AM
Nailed it. It's a team effort. It's very rare to see these kind of mega hits come from one writer or one producer. I think that's the key to Max's success, he delegates to fill his weaknesses. As does Zedd.

Agreed!

RoyFan

Quote from: hazeltone on March 08, 2015, 07:35:32 AM
He has a way with chords that makes my soul come out of my chest.

He sure does!  I so agree that that (even more than how beautifully he produces the track with those chords)  is his greatest asset.  Listen to the beginning of piano of "Find You".
Pure piano and vocals, and you still get the goosebumps.  The "Clarity" chords are obviously heart melting as well. 

The only way that he might not be as consistently great going forward is the old thing where an artist has his whole "lifetime" to make his first record.  So much time to
create great ideas.  And then after that, you have a shorter time span to write.  His latest song with Selena didn't "hit me" as much as the stuff from the past 2 years. But he's good to just
disappear.

Adam B

I had a look at some zedd songs and wow he does use some crazy chords!  :o

Really like Stay the night -it has a sound of it's own..

B Steady

Quote from: Adam B on March 15, 2015, 12:46:54 AM
I had a look at some zedd songs and wow he does use some crazy chords!  :o

Really like Stay the night -it has a sound of it's own..

what is a crazy chord? where do I find one in STN?
Vila i frid Dag

Adam B

Quote from: B Steady on March 15, 2015, 12:41:34 PM
what is a crazy chord? where do I find one in STN?

Any coloured chord is officially defined as a crazy chord.

J_A24

B Steady

Vila i frid Dag

Adamoadam

I like Zedd's productions, but I feel they lack detailed background vocals. His newest hit "I Want You to Know", is a good song, but it sounds like he took the easy way out and just layered Selena's vocals instead of having studio singers do the backing vocals.

hazeltone

Quote from: Adamoadam on March 23, 2015, 07:37:44 PM
I like Zedd's productions, but I feel they lack detailed background vocals. His newest hit "I Want You to Know", is a good song, but it sounds like he took the easy way out and just layered Selena's vocals instead of having studio singers do the backing vocals.

I don't know that that sound is really relevant to 2015 electro-pop. Most of the big tracks on the radio right now are just center, left and right doubles and harmonies.

J_A24

I like his new song Addicted to a memory, sounds like Matthew Koma wrote it. Really nice chord progression and melody.

j.fco.morales

I heard the new song, nothing special for me.

Am I too alternative?

It was written by Zedd and Matthew Koma, you were right J.