• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

How Do Max And Shellback Create Memorable Melodies?

Started by AdamKhan, November 10, 2012, 04:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cm6

I've asked questions about methods and formulas for years and participated  in the same question asked by others in other forums.
But apparently there is no such thing as a magic songwriting formula.
But if that's true how come the top songwriters keep coming up with hit after hit after hit. ??

AlexanderLaBrea

There have been lenghty discussions on this subject here on the forum, but the bottom line is this: No there isn't, but yes there is.

Of course there is no magic formula where you use 100% math and algorithms or whatever to create a hit. But what they do have is a toolbox of little tricks they can pull out. Some of them have been spoken about publicly, like if the verse starts on the downbeat then the prechorus shouldn't start on the downbeat etc. Also introducing "weird" melodies and such, like the "wee-eee" bit in "We are never getting back together" (Max spoke about this in the documentary).
Many of these tricks can be found out just by analyzing as well. Listen to a lot of Max Martin hits and you'll find similarities in song structure, lenghts, melody choices and so forth.

Basically the answer to the question you had is most probably: They are extremely talented, they work incredibly hard, and by doing that for a long time they've developed a method and a lot of tricks. Combining the talent of a lot of people (Cheiron/Wolf Cousins), with outstanding work ethic, Max's (and now Savans as it seems) overall wisdom and ear, and also the tricks in the toolbox. You'll wind up with hits ;)

Cm6

I agree but mostly what members on here are describing is an approach or different approaches to songwriting these are not methods. I'm talking about a method to instantly create a tune without the actual fiddling about on the guitar trying to noodle out a tune. Because at the end of the day before you can turn your song into a hit you need to find a very good tune to write your lyrics to.

AlexanderLaBrea

Yeah but that's why there is no formula. They still write in the same fashion as other writers, trying to hum out a good melody or whatever. What they have is a superior knowledge of what works, and how to optimize things. But it doesn't start with that, that comes in later.

If you're searching for a method to instantly create hit melodies out of the blue you're not gonna find it.

Cm6

Quote from: AlexanderLaBrea on March 20, 2017, 12:57:42 PM
Yeah but that's why there is no formula. They still write in the same fashion as other writers, trying to hum out a good melody or whatever. What they have is a superior knowledge of what works, and how to optimize things. But it doesn't start with that, that comes in later.

If you're searching for a method to instantly create hit melodies out of the blue you're not gonna find it.

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

system_09

Quote from: Cm6 on March 20, 2017, 03:59:50 PM
That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Well good luck with that then.

Would be good to know more of these tools, or little 'tricks' to use when songwriting. I'm sure there's a lot more, and the things we know are the ones that are already well known and can be 'thrown away' to the public (the 'prince theory' of songwriting?)