• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Cheiron Songs "B-Line"? Help?

Started by ZachJames, April 20, 2014, 02:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZachJames

Hey everyone,
Im listening to the early Britney Spears stuff and I'm wondering if any of you know the name of this songwriting technique. I read somewhere that it could be called the "B-Line".

What happens is the chorus is re-stated but with a slightly different melody and maybe a few words in different places. It's like the chorus with a twist. I never hear this anymore in today's pop music - but these early britney songs always have them - Max obviously knew what he was doing.

I put a clip of 3 songs so you can hear what I am talking about. You might have to listen a few times cuz it's such a small difference - but if anybody knows what this is called, let me know because it's really interesting

https://soundcloud.com/zjames/cheiron-b-lines-max-martin

do you hear it?   ;)

0:00 - Baby one more time normal chorus
0:23 - Baby one more time b line

0:55 - Stronger normal chorus
1:19 - Stronger b line

1:47 - Oops i did it again normal chorus
2:10 - Oops i did it again b line

B Steady

I don't know how it's called but I'm sure we are all aware of this unique technique and this is one of the many reasons why we love the Cheiron music :)
Vila i frid Dag

Raul_esp

It's called Counter Melody , Amazing Tecnique.

Rebecca

I agree, this is just one of the things I love so much about Cheiron songs as well. I think my favourite counter melody is Backstreet Boys "Get Another Boyfriend".

ZachJames

Yeah - it's a counter melody. I just love it so much - I never hear it in today's music which makes it even more special

B Steady

Quote from: Rebecca on April 21, 2014, 12:23:13 AM
I agree, this is just one of the things I love so much about Cheiron songs as well. I think my favourite counter melody is Backstreet Boys "Get Another Boyfriend".

Ohhhhhh YESSSSS!!!!!! Hear me out, you must know, what it's all about, he's just a player in loooooooove ...... <3

btw why is it called counter melody??

PS: EPIC performance, shows perfectly all the energy that's in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9OAvhywhg
Vila i frid Dag

ZachJames

Quote from: B Steady on April 21, 2014, 01:16:11 PM

Ohhhhhh YESSSSS!!!!!! Hear me out, you must know, what it's all about, he's just a player in loooooooove ...... <3

btw why is it called counter melody??

PS: EPIC performance, shows perfectly all the energy that's in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9OAvhywhg

Well I think it is similar to Counterpoint, which is how two melodies combine. But I do not know exactly how to explain it.

B Steady

Quote from: Rebecca on April 21, 2014, 12:23:13 AM

I think the Black & Blue counter melodies and the Stronger one are better than any other counter melody!

@Zach: I'm also wondering why there even is a name for that technique because the Cheiron songwriters were the only ones who used it. Has a Cheiron member used this name in an interview?
Vila i frid Dag

ZachJames

Quote from: B Steady on April 22, 2014, 02:30:14 PM

@Zach: I'm also wondering why there even is a name for that technique because the Cheiron songwriters were the only ones who used it. Has a Cheiron member used this name in an interview?

Well, I actually heard the term used on GearSlutz forums. Somebody used the term B Line when talking about Cheiron.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: B Steady on April 22, 2014, 02:30:14 PM
I think the Black & Blue counter melodies and the Stronger one are better than any other counter melody!

Wikipedia says countermelodies are used often in brass and horn arrangements. And a composer named David Wallis Reeves is credited as an innovator using this type of arrangement.

If you think about, it makes total sense.

ZachJames

Quote from: j.fco.morales on April 22, 2014, 06:53:10 PM
Wikipedia says countermelodies are used often in brass and horn arrangements. And a composer named David Wallis Reeves is credited as an innovator using this type of arrangement.

If you think about, it makes total sense.

Yep. Cheiron stuff is definitely very symphonic.

Linda

Can you remember when Cheiron first started using counter melodies?
Is this a Max Martin/Rami thing? Because I don't really recall any Denniz PoP production that had it?
Just curious

B Steady

I think it started with the Backstreet Boys album "Millennium" where actually any Cheiron song has a counter melody.
Vila i frid Dag

nznexus

music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.

B Steady

Quote from: nznexus on April 22, 2014, 10:29:29 PM
wut is a counter melody ?

Can't believe this guy is still allowed to post in this forum
Vila i frid Dag