• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Dr.luke ascap expo 2014 !

Started by nznexus, February 11, 2014, 07:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gino

What!?? I was waiting to see it online and now they say it would not be online?? why?????? :'-OOOOOOOOOO

nznexus

are you trolling or what?

well last year katy perrys expo wasnt available so well i wouldnt be surrprised of this with dr luke too!
music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.

Gino

Nznexus, why do you say Im trolling? Im just surprised, I was waiting to access the stream and see the keynote, so Im just a little mad about it, it's a sad surprise

J_A24

Just got back from L.A.

Luke's panel was just a Q&A with a bunch of people asking really mundane questions, except for one or two who had decent questions.

What most upcoming songwriters/producers can't seem to understand is that:

1) The focus should be on their craft, everything else is useless. Just let the music speak for itself, you will be noticed.

2) Stay true to who you are. Dr. Luke happens to love the sector of the industry he's in, which is making pop hits, that's why he wants to win all the time and he's so good at it.

3) It's all about taste, the more you work, the more your taste in producing music evolves, the better your songs get.

4) Luke has over 30 #1 songs because he outworked and still outworks everyone in the business. It's as simple as that.

So many people are just so caught up in the "game" that they forget that music should come from the heart.

georg_e

Quote from: J_A24 on May 06, 2014, 08:58:01 PM
Just got back from L.A.

Luke's panel was just a Q&A with a bunch of people asking really mundane questions, except for one or two who had decent questions.

1) The focus should be on their craft, everything else is useless. Just let the music speak for itself, you will be noticed.

2) Stay true to who you are. Dr. Luke happens to love the sector of the industry he's in, which is making pop hits, that's why he wants to win all the time and he's so good at it.

3) It's all about taste, the more you work, the more your taste in producing music evolves, the better your songs get.

4) Luke has over 30 #1 songs because he outworked and still outworks everyone in the business. It's as simple as that.

So many people are just so caught up in the "game" that they forget that music should come from the heart.
Very true points, all of them :-)   Glad you could see him -- I went to the 2007 Expo, when he was part of a panel of other songwriters/producers. Later, I came back in the hotel lobby and he was standing around talking with Cathy Dennis.....she was on that panel too.....maybe that's where they hooked up to co-write on "About You Now"......

Gino

J_A24 thanks man! Any other ascap 2014 panel that you would recommend to see?

yearbrook

Quote from: J_A24 on May 06, 2014, 08:58:01 PM
Just got back from L.A.

did he talk about melodic construction, choruses ,stuff like that?

J_A24

Quote from: yearbrook on May 08, 2014, 11:25:08 PM

did he talk about melodic construction, choruses ,stuff like that?

No, he did not. As far as I can remember there were close to zero technical questions.

A lot of questions were business related and about Prescription songs and how to get heard. All the answers were straight to the point and the right ones. A question that caught my attention was about how Luke's musical ambition (His Mozart side) blends with what's right for the market at that moment, which was one of the better questions and he answered something along the lines that it was natural for him because he loved the music he did and he doesn't think as much about that.

Another question was about how he keeps himself inspired and he brought up the fact that he's surrounded by so many talented people that he listens to something new everyday and he's excited about it. I thought that was a great answer because on a personal note, I'm surrounded by people who I think are better than me at what I do and it pushes me to be better and it keeps me inspired too. When I don't have that, it has an impact for sure.

Another question was about how he deals with writers block, and if I remember correctly the mediator gave that question to Becky G who was a sweetheart and has a good head on her shoulders. She explained that when she feels that way she just tries to take a step back and live life and take as much as possible away from those experiences, which again is an answer that I really liked, 'cause music is all about life experiences. She was lovely. Luke at the end re-established the importance of what Becky said.

Luke mentioned that he works around 20 songs at the same time, and when he finishes one, there's more added to his plate. When he said that, you heard a collective grasp in the room which was funny to hear. People don't realize that working in the music business, specially in the field Luke's in is not glamorous for the most part. You really need to love it, or else you crash and burn. In fact, he touched the topic about how he's witnessed many songwriters burning out and how it's related to them doing it for the wrong reasons in the first place.

He mentioned when asked about his favorite music at the moment that he really liked Pharrell's song "Happy" even though it's a polarizing song; A lot of people like it and a lot of people are sick of it. He said something along the lines that he just likes what he likes.

Personally I didn't learn much at the ASCAP expo, but I met a bunch of cool people, had some really cool experiences and came out motivated from the fact that the music industry is what you make it out to be. You grab what you want from it, you make the music that you love and you do it the best that you can. We can sit here and try to dissect everything that we like from our favourite writers, which is awesome and fun, but it's impossible for us to get in their head and figure out when something sounds "right" for them. It's all a matter of taste like I said on a previous post and taste always evolves as long you work on your craft.

On a trivial note, this was not mentioned in his panel, but on my trip to L.A. I found out that the little voice at the start of "Dark Horse" was actually Luke's 2 year old daughter. He also has an 8 month old son.

J_A24

Quote from: Gino on May 07, 2014, 11:44:24 AM
J_A24 thanks man! Any other ascap 2014 panel that you would recommend to see?

I honestly just went to Luke's and Savan Kotecha's panel, which I also recommend. I'm gonna catch the rest on video.

j.fco.morales

And how was Savan's?
He's a lyricist or topliner? or both?

J_A24

Quote from: j.fco.morales on May 09, 2014, 05:52:13 AM
And how was Savan's?
He's a lyricist or topliner? or both?

He's mostly an a&r right now. But in the past I'm pretty sure he was mostly a lyricist. He also talked about the way the bussiness is changing and encouraged us to be more daring in our music. And if possible, to find an artist that we believe in and work exclusively with them, because what you mostly find in the industry are really private opportunities and it's hard to get in those. One thing I realized in my trip is how the industry at this very moment is molded around the business side, specially when you're signed to a publisher. That's why a lot of producers are now becoming the artist. He also encouraged us to get into music licensing on the side because it's a stable business and you can make good profit out of it.

Very interesting. You can see that Savan is very business minded.

The panel also included Martin Johnson, Mozella, Lindy Robbins and James Fauntleroy who gave us a few laughs. At one point they all admitted that rhyming dictionaries and sites like rhyme zone were very useful when they were in need of inspiration or a missing lyric.

J_A24

Oh and Luke also talked about how he met Max. While that history is pretty known around here, he added in some details and you could figure that it was such an organic meeting between them. When Max met him in New York for the first time, he sort of started hanging out with him because Luke knew all the good spots to have a good time, and he became kind of his tour guide. And when Luke went to Sweden, Max and Rami became his tour guides in return.

I suppose that at that time, Max was looking to meet new people and visit new places that would inspire him to begin a new chapter in his career. And Luke was one of them.

nznexus

music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.

AlexanderLaBrea

j.fco.morales

Quote from: J_A24 on May 09, 2014, 06:16:35 AM
Oh and Luke also talked about how he met Max. While that history is pretty known around here, he added in some details and you could figure that it was such an organic meeting between them. When Max met him in New York for the first time, he sort of started hanging out with him because Luke knew all the good spots to have a good time, and he became kind of his tour guide. And when Luke went to Sweden, Max and Rami became his tour guides in return.

I suppose that at that time, Max was looking to meet new people and visit new places that would inspire him to begin a new chapter in his career. And Luke was one of them.

That makes sense: Max hadn't more hit songs with high profile artists since 2001 until Since U Been Gone... and Luke hadn't lyricists/topliners/songwriters to work with and make a hit songs until that connection with Max.