• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

What's behind Max success

Started by Dagge, May 15, 2018, 11:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dagge

Max is obviously talented, but there is no way all Cheiron guys and their later proteges are equally talented. Yet all of them churn hit after hit. What could be the reason?

Max once said that melodic math and other tools they use when they are stuck are only helping tools, but formulas are not main tool during composing. He also once said one  important thing which I think is most important stuff if you want to be top composer. He said that key is to make simple, almost banal, yet interesting and fresh melody. He also said that people would be surprised how banal their own melodies would sound without expensive and clever production.

I agree with that, it is a thin line between simple and banal melody vs top chart melody that is also simple but sounds interesting and not boring.  And now we are coming to the most important thing, he said you have to have confidence that your banal and almost silly sounding melody will become top chart expensive melody by the way of production and other stuff. In order to have this confidence, you have to have strong mentor who knows his stuff and who can encourage you to go on despite of your doubts. That is what I think the main reason why all Cheiron proteges became hitmakers, they learned to develop their banal melody lines, instead of abandon them.

I have found this countless times, and I am sure many of you composers did also. I composed some interesting melody that sounds really simple and catchy, but I abandoned it because 'it just sounds 'silly and too simple, even banal', so there is no point to finish production. I have no confidence that such a banal melody has potential to be top chart melody, because i have not proved myself on the charts. I have many times spent hours composing melodies, ending frustrated because I felt that I have wasted those hours, feeling that  I do not do things that will bring results, but just wandering. There is no mentor to give me direction and say this is ok or you better find another profession.

But if Max or someone of his caliber would sit by me and encouraged me to continue on this particular melody because 'it sounds like a hit', I would with time become self-confident in building simple melodies that still sound silly to the outsider but to me they would be potential hits because I have confidence and know how things are working.

I also think that there are quite a nice number of songwriters that could become hitmakers if they would be mentored and encouraged to write such simple melodies, without feeling lame. I listened hundreds of Max choruses and many melodies are dead simple, some of them would sound silly on a piano if we would not connect them with hit songs that we heard on a radio. Mostly they consist of not more than 5 tones interval, for example whole melody sits between C and G interval.

I certainly don't want to belittle Max talent which is obviously huge, I just want to demistify some things behind those 25 years of success. I think acquiring this confidence is worth literally a million dollars.

bugmenot

Regard acquiring his 25-year network and connections.

j.fco.morales

Plus, Max had some rough years as well between 2001 and 2004, after he and Rami decided to not work together.

He found success after his work with Dr Luke.

maximel

Quote from: Dagge on May 15, 2018, 11:33:52 PM
Max is obviously talented, but there is no way all Cheiron guys and their later proteges are equally talented. Yet all of them churn hit after hit. What could be the reason?

Max once said that melodic math and other tools they use when they are stuck are only helping tools, but formulas are not main tool during composing. He also once said one  important thing which I think is most important stuff if you want to be top composer. He said that key is to make simple, almost banal, yet interesting and fresh melody. He also said that people would be surprised how banal their own melodies would sound without expensive and clever production.

I agree with that, it is a thin line between simple and banal melody vs top chart melody that is also simple but sounds interesting and not boring.  And now we are coming to the most important thing, he said you have to have confidence that your banal and almost silly sounding melody will become top chart expensive melody by the way of production and other stuff. In order to have this confidence, you have to have strong mentor who knows his stuff and who can encourage you to go on despite of your doubts. That is what I think the main reason why all Cheiron proteges became hitmakers, they learned to develop their banal melody lines, instead of abandon them.

I have found this countless times, and I am sure many of you composers did also. I composed some interesting melody that sounds really simple and catchy, but I abandoned it because 'it just sounds 'silly and too simple, even banal', so there is no point to finish production. I have no confidence that such a banal melody has potential to be top chart melody, because i have not proved myself on the charts. I have many times spent hours composing melodies, ending frustrated because I felt that I have wasted those hours, feeling that  I do not do things that will bring results, but just wandering. There is no mentor to give me direction and say this is ok or you better find another profession.

But if Max or someone of his caliber would sit by me and encouraged me to continue on this particular melody because 'it sounds like a hit', I would with time become self-confident in building simple melodies that still sound silly to the outsider but to me they would be potential hits because I have confidence and know how things are working.

I also think that there are quite a nice number of songwriters that could become hitmakers if they would be mentored and encouraged to write such simple melodies, without feeling lame. I listened hundreds of Max choruses and many melodies are dead simple, some of them would sound silly on a piano if we would not connect them with hit songs that we heard on a radio. Mostly they consist of not more than 5 tones interval, for example whole melody sits between C and G interval.

I certainly don't want to belittle Max talent which is obviously huge, I just want to demistify some things behind those 25 years of success. I think acquiring this confidence is worth literally a million dollars.

Some very good points here! As others have already stated, there are more pieces to the puzzle then mentioned. I think a lot of it has to do with networking... It's not always about what you know. It's about what you know and who you know. I believe Max is so successful partially due to his knowledge AND connections. Part of Max's success = Max's ability to make lasting connections.