• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Justin Tranter, Emily Warren, More Songwriters Sign Letter

Started by turnaround, March 31, 2021, 09:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnaround

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/pact-justin-tranter-emily-warren-songwriters-letter-1234940341/

QuoteThree days after an anonymous songwriters group named the Pact called for artists to stop demanding credit for songs they did not write, the group has followed with a letter signed by Emily Warren, Ross Golan, Justin Tranter, Victoria Monet and others pledging that the signatories "will not give publishing or songwriting credit to an artist who did not create or change the lyric or melody or otherwise contribute to the composition without a reasonably equivalent/meaningful exchange for all the writers on the song."
And I liked it..

bugmenot

That's f''' misleading and hypocrisy. The letter says they are agree to credit any Selena who wants to be credited as a songwriter of a song she did not write but they need to have a bigger pay for that.

It is a slippery slope.
On the one hand, it is Selena and her management and label who promote songs and the reason the songs are popular. Pop music is not where the quality of a song rules.
On the other hand, both the singers and the songwriters are easily replaceable, don't last long, and the business itself is superficial. Today Selena is popular, tomorrow she isn't. She will need a source of income when she is not touring anymore. And this income is streaming/songs use in ads etc. Her touring made the songs popular.

j.fco.morales

Well, it's not like that at all. As a producer/songwriter myself, you don't get the money you deserve and often it's a struggle to get money.

And it's ALL ABOUT THE SONGS. It's not marketing, surely it helps but that's not the main thing.

Stream services don't pay enough to make a living out of it and you get publishing royalties every quarter of the year. If you're not established you don't make a lot of money. For 100k plays: 20 US dollars on Spotify.

Usually, if you're good enough to get a deal they give you an advance but you don't see much money almost for a year and the publisher also gets it's percentage. In real life, many people writes or produce without asking for a fee: working with some established acts can bring you more work or sometimes with unsigned artists basically because you believe in the projects even when there's no budget or they're independent.

So, I think it's a disrespectul point of view to. Songwriters and producers do not go on tour, don't make big marketing campaigns and these careers are BASED ON SONGS written and produced by other people who don't get enough money for their work.

nanofives

Do you know any artist who does this? I can make some educated guesses but I want to know what you think.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: nanofives on April 01, 2021, 08:58:45 PM
Do you know any artist who does this? I can make some educated guesses but I want to know what you think.

https://www.idolator.com/5814762/songwriter-heather-bright-supports-britney-spears-blasts-justin-bieber?chrome=1

When Bright, who also co-wrote Justin Bieber's hit "Somebody To Love", is asked to explain how Bieber got songwriting credit for that song (as it was originally written for Usher), Bright has no answer. "Umm... How did he get a writing credit on it?... That's an interesting question. I don't know."

nanofives

That's interesting, feels like nowadays no one wants to give names. I also hadn't heard anything from Heather Bright in years.