• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Producers block....Help?

Started by AdamKhan, December 28, 2012, 05:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamKhan

Hey Guys!.....Hope your all well :-)

So whats happened is that i have not produced a decent track (instrumental) in ages and have had producers block for several weeks now.
I have clients waiting for material also :(

Do you have any tips/tricks you can share with me?

Thx

Joshua

Hey Adam, I feel your pain... I've been in writers/producers block for what seems like an eternity. But, there are a few things that I've found help me a little that I probably should employ more often.

1. Only listen to music that inspires you. Whether it's from decades ago or this year, listen to the music you love the most and try to filter out the rest for a while. I find in hindsight that listening to anything and everything doesn't do much for me inspiration wise.

2. Do whatever activities open up your creative side. As cheesy as it sounds, going to our nearby beach for a walk somehow gets me thinking up ideas in no time, even after months of nothingness. So when I say "I enjoy long walks on the beach", I really mean it haha! But seriously, watching certain movies, going to new or favourite places, whatever lifts your mood and gets you out of the rut.

3. Give yourself a deadline. This is a big one for me. I did some instrumental work for a tv documentary once and the night before it was all due, I still had one track to complete. Problem was, I hadn't even started writing it. I'd left it right until the end, just hoping for some magical idea to pop into my head. Having that serious deadline meant I had no choice but to force myself into outputting the best I could on the spot, whether I was happy with it or not. It ended up being a great track, if not one of the best out of the seven I did. In fact, all the tracks turned out pretty well and I did them all within the space of a few months. If I'd been given two years to complete them, I probably would've "struggled" to come up with anything good enough for most of that time. So to make this practical, try forcing yourself to record something within a few hours. It doesn't matter what the outcome is, if it's rubbish it's rubbish! But it will force your brain into work mode and hopefully lead you to some unexpected ideas that you wont find any other way.

That's all I've got, hope it helps somehow. :)

AdamKhan

Thanks for sharing josh. Im really motivated now and the info you gave me really helped, especially the stuff about watching films and listeing to all sorts of music (currently listening to 80s pop music...lol) and i've made many musical ideas now. Thanks so much!!!!!

georg_e

Since I found all that Benny Blanco stuff in the other thread, reminded me that way back in time when people used "MySpace", Benny had listed as *Influences*    ''Gamble & Huff...anything by them"     This impressed me ALOT, as I've always been a freak for their records...so if anybody wants to hear something super dope for inspiration, listen to this with headphones....   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzTeLePbB08

olsen87

sometimes it helps to 'have faith' in what you're trying to do and if it's not happening then walk away and leave it for a while and allow your subconscious to do the work for you! You'll find when you revisit the track the inspiration will be there. And as someone as mentioned- only listened to music that inspires. good luck.
"I didn't even know what a producer did, I spent two years day and night in that studio trying to learn what the hell was going on."