• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

What is the Denniz Pop Awards?

Started by Neal Sabel, May 12, 2017, 03:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neal Sabel

Hi Guys,

I saw Kristian tweet something about "Denniz Pop Awards", what is it exactly? A competition.  I think it's over but will he be hosting it again?? I would love to submit an entry, I feel I could win, no seriously with my great 80s and 90s pop tunes, it could just take him back to the hey days. Sorry I'm getting a little too excited. 

Sad if I missed it, always getting to the party late, that's me.

If it will be running again Is there any criteria? I really hope it's not strictly Rock/Pop. When is it active again and for how long?
Now the favourite part, what is the prize? Record deal, publishing deal.  The best prize for me would be a record deal and also getting signed to The Location Songs Publishing, alright Kristian, you hearing that  ;)

Thanks for the info.

Neal.

AlexanderLaBrea

First of all:

You need to be a Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish or Danish citizen to apply.

Secondly - the fun part of applying is that you know that the old Cheiron guys will probably listen to your stuff, but you definitely have no chance to win. I'm sorry to say. I've listened to the stuff you posted and it just isn't good enough amongst the competition  - but even if it was, here are the precious winners:

-Linnea, Emanuel and Iman (who entered with Lush Life by Zara Larsson)
-Anton & Julia (Galantis' Runaway (You & I))
-Salvatore Ganacci (little weird choice, but definitely established in his field)
-Albin & Kristoffer (One Direction's Kiss You, Demi Lovato etc.) - They were already working for Karl and Rami

So basically, for us unestablished and/or unpublished writers and producers there is pretty much zero chance to win. Which sucks, as none of these winners really need the financial support or the pubicity, as they're already making a good living of of their music. It would be more interesting if they tried to help unsigned producers and writers, by financial support (The price is 10,000 USD), publicity and connections.

Neal Sabel

Thanks for the rundown on that AleaxanderLaBrea.

We have to be careful here when we use words like "better" or "worse" music is simply subjective, it's a matter of taste. In my opinion these artist don't hold a candle to my great, unique and original 80s and 90s Pop sound.  Songs that I've made such as "Technicolour", "Not The Way I Feel" and "All I Know" are such precious gems of songs that you won't find melodies and sounds like that anywhere else, not to mention lyrical depth.  Comparatively, the first track reminded me of a cut down Gwen Stefani song, I was waiting to be amazed thinking that this must be something completely incredible if it was the winner but I was pretty much bored throughout the whole song. All I can say is put a pretty blonde girl in front of the camera who sounds like Gwen Stefani and probably people will buy it.  But is that necessary hallmarks of a true musician or great music?  In my opinion, I deeply think not.

So you didn't say whether it would be running again and when?

Yeah I agree with you, sounds a bit rigged if only "established" artists and writers went on to win. 

Maybe I'll just walk into the Location studios someday, hand my CD and say "The best has arrived" and walk out, no one can fuck with real 80s and 90s talent !! I guess there are always other ways to win  ;)

AlexanderLaBrea

It's a little hard to decipher if you're joking around or not. But as I said, if you're not a citizen of any of the countries below, you can't enter. Also, Denniz Pop awards is a recurring event - once every year.

I admire your confidence and I agree that music is a matter of taste, but man, if you wanna be something within the music industry you have to be able to listen to your own songs from an objective and critical point of view. You absolutely have to hear that your productions are miles and miles away from, for example, the songs I listed below. That the vocals are terribly out of tune and that the writing doesn't have what it takes to even come close to competing with the writers that are winning Denniz Pop awards and such.

I suggest you gather some feedback from outside people so that you can develop your craft. If you consider the songs you've been posting on here as "gems", their quality is not the biggest problem, but your lack of objectivity towards them.

By the way, if you mean "Lush Life" you gotta realize that it charted high in most of Europe and became quite a hit. You don't have to like it, but you have to realize why it was succesful, and what distinguishes it from your songs, and/or other commercially unsuccesful songs.

Neal Sabel

Yeah sure, what I find terribly out of tune is the vast amount of auto tune applied on vocals these days, it's devastatingly painful, I mean if I wanted to hear a machine sing I would pay for a singing robot.  I'm going for an authentic 80s and 90s type sound where not every syllable was pitch corrected but you could still hear that a good vocal performance was delivered, with good pitch, projection and tone like my vocals and were great artist like Madonna or Belinda Carlyle and Cyndi Lauper for example, was every single note pitch corrected, no because a sense of "authenticity" needs to be in the vocal performance, I love the dips and dives and shivers and shakes in a vocal performance and even some grit and creakiness, because it makes the performance feel real not "synthetic" like today's singers with their over applied auto-tune. 

Talk is cheap, please put up a song you've made and then let me critique it in the same fashion, you seem to know it all, but usually the people who talk the talk can also walk the walk, I have albums to show, you, I didn't want to make it personal but you kind of took it there have not shown anything, so let that speak for itself.  Seriously, I can get ridiculously technical, I will evaluate your song (still waiting) on hard core technical details that run into 10-20 point details such as level of originality, uniqueness, arrangement skill, depth of sound programming, quality of mixing, lyrical depth, melodic depth and structure, vocal tone, voice and projection, musical versality and so on, need I go on.  You see the difference between "subjective" and "technical" is that with subjective you can get away by saying off hand comments such as "your productions are miles and miles away" - what does that mean, technically?  It means nothing because you are referring to nothing specific. 

So are you ready to be properly evaluated and critiqued (as per the Neal Sabel Standard of Music) or are you afraid I will take your music apart on a deep, technical level.

"Lush Life" simply proves to me that any old stuff can be a hit, but how many people will remember it, a week later, a month later.  How many people still remember great 80s and 90s songs, loads, because greatness is not a trend my friend, it's a level of music originality that comes from many dedicated years of sculpting and shapely a unique sound.  Trends will be over like hot cakes out of the oven but greatness lives on forever  :)

When exactly is the next run for the Denniz Pop awards? Thanks.  I will be entering, I have amazing all round talent which means more than a f****** passport and let Kristian himself tell me I can't enter because I'm not Swedish.  I do in fact have some German blood in my heritage but that's a long story.

Peace.

PS: The new album should be released this summer! Will keep you posted.     

AlexanderLaBrea

And I thought it couldn't get any worse than nznexus...

nanofives

I've lost it halfway there, it's hilarious.

turnaround

THE LEGACY OF DENNIZ POP - DOCUMENTARY

Includes footage of Max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm51knLrJek
And I liked it..

turnaround

And I liked it..

bugmenot

He was in jury with  Tove Lo, Rami Yacoub, Laleh, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Jacob Schulze, John Amatiello, Kristian Lundin, Per Magnusson och David Kreuger.

I can't find any picture
it's from 2017

Middle table first row, I can't see Martin

I see Doris, Fat Max, Julius, Shellback with Ludwig Göransson, Matmann & Robin & Oscar.

Maybe Martin is behind the guy in white shirt