• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Cheiron History: The lawsuite concerning "What U See Is What U Get"

Started by turnaround, March 04, 2013, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnaround

Quote from: Joshua on March 03, 2013, 08:13:59 AM

I was just reading the wiki page for it, and noticed there was a lawsuit in 2005 from a guy who claimed he wrote the song back in 1990. It was dismissed, but I'm sure Jörgen would've loved being accused of not having written it! :o
This reminds me that in the press there were also accusations that Britneys songs "What U See Is What U Get" and another track were sent in as demos by unknown songwriters and apparently decline. But then they ended up slightly altered on the album.

Ah here on wikipedia it says:

QuoteMusicians Michael Cottril and Lawrence Wnukowski filed a copyright case against Spears, Zomba Recording Corp, Jive Records, Wright Entertainment Group and BMG Music Publishing, claiming Spears' "What U See (Is What U Get)" and "Can't Make You Love Me" are "virtually identical" to one of their songs. Cottrill and Wnukowski claimed that they authored, recorded and copyrighted a song called "What You See Is What You Get" in 1999 to one of Spears' representatives for consideration on a future album, though it was rejected.[15]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2040823.stm

You can find a snippet in the link below and there is a very interesting read concerning the lawsuit! Lots of interesting information concerning the writing of the song.

Cottrill v. Spears No. 02 - 3646, 2003 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8823 (E.D. Pa. May 22, 2003)

http://mcir.usc.edu/cases/2000-2009/Pages/cottrillspears.html

And I really see no similarities. I guess the writers just were inspired by the title of the song.
And I liked it..

georg_e

Thanks, Turnaround, it's really interesting stuff....this is a whole area that always fascinates me :-)

Raul_esp

Very interesting! , I dont see very similarities both songs , anyway Britney songs are so much better.

Joshua

Haha I remember this, what a joke of a court case! Seriously a waste of everyone's time. The only similarity was obviously in the title. I think some writers forget how common it is for people to come up with similar or even the same ideas without stealing them. I've written songs that pretty much no-one has ever heard, yet when I hear the exact same concept or melody years later in a mainstream record, it can be hard to believe that someone wasn't watching me as I wrote it, that's how similar it could be. But it just proves that these things happen. For someone to go as far as taking something like a similar title (the lyrical concepts of the songs aren't even the same) to court is beyond me.

Neal

Yeah the problem with studios these days is they are overly "paranoid" because of the jackasses that try to make such claims. Hey studios not everyone is like that, and you can't take your paranoid attitude out on the real musicians looking for a break just because you are scared. Look it's simple , if someone seems cool and sharing talk to them, get to know them a little before just hiding behind your "fear". Talking really runs no risk and if someone appears like a "tool" then it's fair to shut them out. I'm really disappointed that their they are so many fucking "tools" in the industry that spoil the image and credibility of people who have made real sacrifice and genuinely want to reach out for the betterment of the music. Design a fucking "how to spot a tool" software already and ditch the paranoia !