• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

If you could ask him/them anything you want...

Started by turnaround, April 19, 2007, 03:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebecca

Thanks Tommy, that is all very interesting. It probably doesn't surprise me either because as Turnaround says Max doens't write alone too often. Though he did write the hit As Long As You Love Me for BSB (well per credits it's just him).

Yeah, I often wondered what Britney was meaning when she talked about Denniz, and can imagine Denniz wasn't thinking much about songwriting credits near the end.

Interesting about the backing singers too, shame they didn't get credit for their work all the time, it doesn't bother me if BSB etc didn't do all vocals, but as you say - it's all about marketing.

Tommy Nelson

Hey everyone! Yes, as I said before it all comes down to image and marketing, especialy when it comes to boy band's and so on. I don't mind at all that Max, Andreas and crew are singing uncredited backup vocals for BSB, *NSYNC, Five, and Westlife. I love their voices!!! It's really them that you hear singing most of the time in all those groups. As far as Max Martin writing "As long as you love me" for BSB all by himself, I'm sure he wrote the lyrics, melody, and chord structure. However, he did produce that song together with Kristian Lundin. And Kristian is the one doing all the beats and playing keyboard most of the time in all Max Martin/Kristian Lundin productions, ( "Tearin' up my heart", "I want it that way") and so on. So I'm sure they collaberated somewhat with the musical arrangements for that song. As well as "Quit playing games (with my heart)" a VERY similar song (musicly) that Max also produced together with Kristian. And I'm not dis-crediting Max, that's just how things work in music production. Especialy when you are producing a song together with someone else. The other persons musical influence and ideas are always bound to wind up in the final production of your song. :wink:

turnaround

Yes it must be quite irritating for some people to see lots of background vocalist credits if you consider you have a 5 piece boyband singing.

But I am sure background vocals are a special art it's better to have some very talented and experienced group of people who are doing these.

And concerning "As long as you love me", I guess it is very difficult to say when exactly someone deserves an songwriting credit, when he is producing a song. I am sure the producer has some suggestions concerning the music and the melody/chord structure but not anytime they get an songwriting credit for it.
And I liked it..

Rebecca

Yes, very true. I'm sure producers do influence the song even though they may not have written it. I'm sure it's possible Kristian influenced As Long As You Love Me. I suppose it's a very fine line between influencing a song and writing it to get the songwriting credit as well.

Rebecca

Tommy or anyone, while we're on this topic, I have always wondered something. Backstreet Boys have in the past devoted their song Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely to Denniz Pop and have even said that this was the last song that they worked on with Denniz, yet the songwriting credits are Max Martin/Herbie Crichlow, produced by Max and Kristian.

Does anyone know what the story was there? Did Denniz co-write it? or help produce it and just didn't end up getting the credit?

Tommy Nelson

Hey Rebecca and everyone, BSB's "Show me" was not written by Denniz. Denniz passed away in August 1998, and he was not doing well months before that and was unable to work on any new projects at that time. BSB's "Show me" and the "Millennium" album was not released until after Denniz died. At that same time Cheiron was very busy with so many projects all at once, like E-Type's "Last man standing" album wich was supposed to be released in August 1998 but Denniz's death actualy postponed the release of that album. Both "Millennium" and "Last man standing" were dedicated to Denniz. And many dedication songs were written in honor of him. "Show me" was Herbie Crichlow's lyrical dedication to Denniz (Max and Kristian's) musicly. The Backstreet Boys dedicated the music video of "Show me" to Denniz. In the music video, the bus the boys are riding in has the destination "Denniz Street" on it. That was their dedication to him. On E-Type's "Last man standing" album there was an address to send money to for the "Denniz PoP fund" for cancer research, also E-Type himself composed "PoP Preludium" an instrumental tribute to Denniz on his "Last man standing" album. Another example is Westlife's "Soledad" from the "Coast to coast" album where in the lyrics to that song, Andreas Carlsson explains what a 'empty place' it (Cheiron) had come to be and 'In my heart you were the only' and 'your memory lives on'. That was sort of Andreas's tribute and way of coping with the loss of Denniz. On the BSB "Millennium" album Max also did "It's gotta be you" (Where he's singing very loudly on the chorus!!!). And that was a riff on Denniz's 3T song "Gotta be you", that was another tribute to him. Even Denniz's ex-girlfriend Jessica Folcker named the album she did after Denniz died "Dino" (her nickname for Denniz) in memory of him. I could go on and on... I hope I answered your question well enough! :D

princessofegypt

I don't think Denniz produced or wrote Show Me. However, I once read some article about Backstreet that said Denniz did hear "Show Me" before he died.. I imagine it was just the early music. Then after he died, I suppose they wrote the lyrics to it, perhaps with Denniz in mind.

Rebecca

Wow, thanks Tommy and thanks Princess. I knew some of the tributes by BSB and E-Type and Jessica but I had never thought about Soledad nor about the BSB song It's Gotta Be You.

Tommy, feel free to go on.

turnaround

Oh so many new things I have never heard, very interesting.

Especially the story behind "Soledad" and "It's gotta be you" are news to me.

If you have any more background knowledge about songs it would be lovely if you'd share, I have no idea where to find these sort of information on the internet  :wink:

With the but in the SMTMOBL I noticed back then and that Dino reference of Jessica I also read back then.

Does anyone know which sort of cancer he had :(
And I liked it..

Tommy Nelson

Hello again everyone! I do know of one more good example for tribute songs to Denniz. On the E-Type song "Morning Light" from the "Last man standing" album, Kristian Lundin wrote the lyrics for that song (one of the few songs he's written lyrics for) and in the lyric and story inside the song he says "Once upon a time I was a young man, always knew what I wanted to do" "Then one day I met you and I still wonder, how you can make my dreams come true so fast" "I doubt that such a miracle would happen, but you saw something deep inside of me" "I believe in the morning light, when I know you'll be calling" I believe in the morning light, when I know you'll be there" I believe in the morning light, when I know I will see your face again you will be free, and you'll be there... So here in this song Kristian is expressing how Denniz saw something deep inside of him. And how Denniz took him under his wing and made his dreams come true so fast! Which is all very true indeed!!! Kristian was young and full of raw talent when Denniz hired him on at Cheiron. Denniz saw his potential early on and knew what he was capable of doing with his music. Kristian first met Denniz through Dr. Alban. Kristian and John A. were out shopping for records one day and just happened to stop by a clothing shop (run by Dr. Alban) which was on the way to another record store. Well as the story goes, they happened to have a music demo of theirs with them. They played the demo for Dr. Alban and were signed on the spot!!! The first result of that was "Amadin" and the song "Take me up (Alrabaiye)", Kristian sold enough to earn a gold record in Sweden! Then Denniz asked him to join Cheiron and the rest is history... :D

turnaround

Wow, so much detail.
How great for Kristian, it seems it was just meant to be.
And I liked it..

Rebecca

Quote from: "turnaround"

Does anyone know which sort of cancer he had :(

I don't want to seem morbid but does anyone know what cancer?

Thanks Tommy for that story about Kristian, I didn't know that.

turnaround

This pic is so lovely, it just screams "GOOD TIMES"  :(

Who is the other girl on that pic?
And I liked it..

NIKLAS"NiCkY"

Quote from: "turnaround"This pic is so lovely, it just screams "GOOD TIMES"  :(

Who is the other girl on that pic?

its max martin :lol: .....hihi its DEDE Deniz Lopez....you must heard My Lover
If you can dream it, you can be it.

turnaround

Haha, oh yes I've heard of her, but couldn't tell you from that pic.

Thanks, what is she up to now?
And I liked it..