• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Who has Max/Luke, etc. helped the most?

Started by gm33, January 21, 2014, 02:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gm33

I was thinking. Which artist do you think Max Martin (or ANY of his associates) have made the biggest impact on? Who do you think wouldn't be as popular if it weren't for them? Who wouldn't have even gotten off the ground? Obviously, if you are talking about the total enterprise (albums sold, money, single rank, etc.), Britney Spears has to be it. But I can't help but thnk that Martin/Luke has helped Katy Perry and to some extent Ke$ha the most. Spears, Backstreet Boys and Nsync can be sustained on songs by other producers (interesting that in the case of BSB and nsync hot 100 singles which max actually charted lower)

I did a little calculating to help (this isn't fact checked, so if anyone sees issues, let me know and i can update!) These are singles released in the US as the lead artist (e.g. Timber would not be included for kesha)

ArtistUS SinglesMM/Luke Produced or Written% Average US Hot 100 RankAverage MM/ LukeUS Hot 100 RankDiff
Katy Perry 151280%4.82.75+2.05
Britney Spears391641%28.420.26+8.14
Kesha99100%10.7710.77n/a
Backstreet Boys241250%19.1826.16-6.98
NSync10440%12.719.25-6.55

Edits: style, spelling, errors on chart
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I was writing with Max Martin and Johan Shellback who are two of my absolute songwriting heroes, they are just absolute melodic geniuses." - Taylor Alison Swift,  August 2012

B Steady

That's interesting but I'm sure the Backstreet Boys sold the most albums of all these artists
Vila i frid Dag

gm33

It's extremely hard to nail down album vs single totals, but here's some info below. While I agree BSB might have sold the most albums by far, the way albums sell and the definition of record sales has changed quite dramatically over the last 15 years.

ArtistAlbums Sold WorldwideSingles Sold Worldwide
Katy Perry 11m81m
Britney Spears100m(might include singles)
Kesha4m55m
Backstreet Boys130m(might include singles)
NSync50m(might include singles)

-----------------------------------------------------------
"I was writing with Max Martin and Johan Shellback who are two of my absolute songwriting heroes, they are just absolute melodic geniuses." - Taylor Alison Swift,  August 2012

B Steady

Katy's and Ke$ha's singles sales are crazy!!! What I wanted to say is that a big album usually generates a big tour and then maybe even a big career so to me the Backstreet Boys have been the most important artist(s) for Max Martin. And Max has been their most important producer of course.

Btw according to your first post Max produced/wrote 24 out of 12 Backstreet Boys singles ;D
Vila i frid Dag

j.fco.morales

I agree with you both.

It's like Max became rich with the BSB, but he got all the recognition working with Britney.

Raul_esp

Interesting Analysis.

Maybe Backstreet boys made the biggest impact , but it's strange they didnt get any number 1 in USA. ''I want it that way'' and ''Everybody'' Deserved it! Britney wouldnt be so popular without her Cheiron days and of course without ''Baby one more time'' . On the other hand , I can't imagine Katy perry and Ke$ha Without Max and Luke.

B Steady

Quote from: Raul_esp on January 21, 2014, 11:54:20 PM
Interesting Analysis.

Maybe Backstreet boys made the biggest impact , but it's strange they didnt get any number 1 in USA. ''I want it that way'' and ''Everybody'' Deserved it! Britney wouldnt be so popular without her Cheiron days and of course without ''Baby one more time'' . On the other hand I can't imagine Katy perry and Ke$ha Without Max and Luke.

Period.
Vila i frid Dag

melodicmoonlight

they made Katy Perry's career what it has been

but for sure Max became known as the producer of Baby One More Time.

rebekahELLE

Back Street Boys 

If it wasn't for them, Max would not be where he is today.  He has admitted to this in his walk of fame introduction for the BSB.  He helped them, but ultimately their success helped him launch his amazing songwriting/producer career.

After the Boys, I would definitely say Britney.