• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

New Cheiron sound.

Started by Raul_esp, January 23, 2012, 11:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raul_esp

Hey guys , I was thinking about how would be a evolution of the classic cheiron sound(Stops , killer chorus , backing vocals) but with a production of Now of 2012 with dubstep , it could be amazing , Max , Rami , Luke , etc ,  could make a new sound since the base of the classic cheiron sound but with a production present.

What do you think guys?

Rebecca

I would love to hear a new sound like this and I would like to hear what everyone else thinks too about this.

Axel

well, isn't Max already doing this? I mean, he's got today's production values and still has the trademark melodies and choruses.

Raul_esp

Quote from: Axel on January 25, 2012, 10:48:49 AM
well, isn't Max already doing this? I mean, he's got today's production values and still has the trademark melodies and choruses.

The melodies and chorus yes , but the stops and the backing vocals aren't differents , I miss the amazing background vocals of the cheiron era.

Tony Hermansson

...I think I have to go with you Axel!

If you go back to production styles that defines the sound of 97 - 01, it can't be a modern production  ??? 
I believe that Max doing what Max always been doing, and still do. Always hyper modern, but doing the exact same thing.
I also believe that the big backing vocals actually are bigger today. But the way of producing/mixing them is far away from how they did back in the days....
I guess back vocals are tending to blend in more today.
And about 'Stops'... I can hear 'Stops' all the time in modern Max productions. It's just that it is transformed to 'Pitch Stops'.......

I totally understand what you're trying to say thogh Raul, and I love the idea of making a sound out of 'Old School Cheiron Stops' and with wide back vocals that will shake the house  ;D

Dominik

i personally don't think that he's doing the same exact thing. the style of writing changed, in my opinion. You more often hear accentuated and staccato notes in the vocals of his modern electro stuff than back in the days. The melodies are written around one key note and they keep it much simpler and more rythmic. That is also a tipical luke thing. They surely inspired each other...On top of that the chord progressions are the same, very often. If you listen too old backstreet boys hits you hear more changes from part to part. I think it was just a little more thought-out back in the days...

Raul_esp

I think it's not the same , Yes Max has his hallmark in the actual songs , but i feel someting special in the old cheiron songs.

cheironlover

Quote from: Raul_esp on January 23, 2012, 11:03:46 PM
Hey guys , I was thinking about how would be a evolution of the classic cheiron sound(Stops , killer chorus , backing vocals) but with a production of Now of 2012 with dubstep , it could be amazing , Max , Rami , Luke , etc ,  could make a new sound since the base of the classic cheiron sound but with a production present.

What do you think guys?

Yeah!!

Raul_esp

Quote from: Tommy on January 27, 2012, 02:11:12 AM
Hey everyone, In my personal opinion... I would like the classic Cheiron sound (and everything to do with "old school" music equipment/gear, production techniques, style in general) to come back exactly as it were using real hardware and doing things exactly as everyone did back then with no new technology or modern style added. Again, this is my personal opinion. I don't want to offend anyone here.. but I don't listen to any music made past 2000 at all. As far as Cheiron goes...I am only a fan of the classic stuff that ended when the original studio closed it's doors at the end of 2000. I feel since the Millennium.. (music and talent in general) has really went down hill in quality. Modern computer music technology sounds cheap and lacks that nice big full sound that real hardware, instruments and musicians/vocalists that can actually play/sing in tune and on time without the aid of quantizing or pitch correction software like Autotune and just plain having to cut and paste your production to death. All of this new technology is removing human feeling from music today (even in electronic based music) and making it very sterile, cold and unfeeling.
Old school music needs to come back...   
Yes , you're right , but is impossible to make the same music with the same equipment nowadays , an example of how would be cheiron sound nowadays is ''Figured you out'', the most semble song to the cheiron sound since 2002.

Raul_esp

Quote from: Tommy on January 27, 2012, 02:57:50 AM
In my opinion. It is 100% possible to make the same kind of music now. Only if you are up for the challenge of working with the same equipment that was used back then. First...learn about what equipment/technology/techniques were used...research everything extensively...then track down and buy the gear. All the (now vintage) equipment that was used is still available and can be learned about/found/purchased today online. There is definitely a huge learning curve though and it takes a lot more work doing things the old school way but if you really want to learn and have a great passion for old school music it can be done. Just don't try going to your local music gear shop asking about or looking for 80's/90's gear...all they try to do is sell you what's new...and the latest thing is not always the best. People love the new technology though because it makes it easier for anyone to make a production these days. That is why we have a lot of bad productions with poor recording/mixing...high track count making songs sound junky and people with no talent...it's all very mutated now.   

I agree in that , most of the production of these days are so cheap...

Linda

I must say that I have to agree with what Tommy is saying.
I also do not listen to anything past 2000/2001. I am constantly comparing today's songs to back then and it makes me so unhappy. I think it's down to musical taste though too. I just prefer my old school songs.
They use to give me chills but I feel nothing about Max's latest work and for the life of me, i cannot tell if i am listening to a max martin song anymore. I use to be able to tell in the first 5 secs of a song.
I agree also that the production sounds cheap and i do miss those huge background vocals, stops cheiron used.

Joshua

Tommy, are you not a fan of the late Cheiron work though, say 98-2000? I thought Auto-Tune was used on most of the late Cheiron recordings, not for effect but for general correction over a whole vocal...? Plus, while they might not have been able to automatically quantize a vocal, they would've spent a heck of a lot of time manually perfecting timing in ProTools. To me the heart and soul is definitely still there, so I just wonder if you're saying you're still more a fan of tape recorded work from earlier on?

I know how you feel, and there's no doubt Max is capable of returning to his old production methods, but I guess the question is, would he want to? The obvious answer is no, it'd probably do a massive amount of damage to his reputation if he were to go back to making tracks that sounded ten years old. But I sometimes like to imagine what it'd be like if an artist specifically asked for a late 90's style track and Max agreed to go along with it, and whether he'd personally enjoy doing it. It'd be so cool, for us at least. But that's nostalgia for you, anyone else would just think it's embarrassingly outdated. Hopefully in the next decade that style will make a return, except by then I'll be the one who's embarrassingly outdated.

Joshua

I totally get you... I come from a production background (tv for 7 years), though definitely only a semi professional when it comes to music mixes. But yeah I agree, these days tracks are getting compressed and limited like there's no tomorrow, it's like dynamic range is the enemy. 'Perfection' seems to be the focus, but it certainly does suck the soul out of a lot of recordings. The biggest factor though, I think, is choice of instruments and samples, which I guess comes down to trend. If Max went back and did a new version of a mid nineties track using the same instruments but all mixed in the box, I doubt it'd be all that bad. Compared to say, if he did it all with outboard gear, on tape, yet using only the instruments and samples he's used on tracks lately. When I said nostalgia I meant more the writing and producetion style of the old Cheiron songs, not so much recording techniques. Growing up with late nineties pop was one of the best things that could've happened to me, but I'm pretty sure if I'd been born ten years later, I wouldn't care for it half as much. That being said, I do love ABBA, but also grew up listening to them... so it's hard to say. There is definitely a gap in my mind though from 2001-2010 where I hardly liked anything being released, but I feel like things are slowly moving back to what I used to enjoy. I'm a huge dance music fan, so maybe the influence of dance back in the charts is why I feel that way. The r'n'b/rap influence on everything is fading a little (a big yay from me). Writers seem to be getting back to melodies more than they did five years ago, thank goodness! :)

Joshua

Oh cool! Eurodance was my first love in music when I was a kid, Corona's "The Rhythm Of The Night" was my favourite song for years. So I'm a big fan of anything that sounds dark and haunting, to my ears anyway. I totally agree on "Sexy And I Know It" etc, songs that revolve around some weird annoying sample or catchphrase and have not much else going for them. I blame the Black Eyed Peas for a lot of that. Argh! A friend of mine told me that club goers love that stuff, makes them go crazy apparently. But most of them surely just care for dancing, not so much the music. For me a song is for life, it needs to be special, and if I love it, I'll love it for life!