• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Music publishing companies

Started by royeei, February 13, 2013, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

royeei

Hi, can someone explain what do music publishing companies do? and the difference from record labels.
If I am a pop songwriter who specialize only in composing, do I need to find music publishing or record labels a&r's ?
Thanks

georg_e

In very simplified terms, a publisher does this for a songwriter:  finds users for songs, issues licenses, collects money for writer, and sometimes hooks you up with other writers.  Record companies are more about the promotion and distribution and A&R for the recording artist's career.   BUT......I think you can find a foot in the door either way.....if an A&R loves your song, then great. Same thing with a publisher. And the line is so blurred  now. for example Dr. Luke is producer/songwriter/musician/publisher.....and he has his own label.

The one common denominator is they both can force an artist to sing a song, like with Ke$ha----- sorry, couldn't resist that :-D

royeei

Thanks george, well, i think start to understand, but the blurred line makes it a little confusing.

what would you suggest to me to do if i want biggest musicians to listen my melodies?

georg_e

I wish I knew the answer to that too, lol!! :D   One good lesson for me.....Dr. luke has said that alot of times in his early days when he'd get appointments with music biz people to play his tracks, they'd barely listen, be on their Blackberries etc and he had to physically reach over and turn up the volume on their CD players!!!!

Seriously though, I've found there are some people in the music biz you can get appointments with to play your stuff in person...not everybody, of course, but some that can actually help. Especially at the performing rights societies that every country has (in U.S., ASCAP and BMI).   The other thing I've found recently is, say you read on a blog about a new recording artist in Sweden or something....if you snoop around you can find out their contact info (management or A&R). I did this last summer, and got a song considered as the singer and her manager liked it, but it was up to her producer, and they finally passed on it.  But it showed me that it could easily go the other way, and this was all through the internet........

royeei

maybe i didnt understand you, the Luke example is when he had the luck to meet A&R's .
Did you mean generally , to work hard?

royeei

Sorry , strangely i saw only the first paragraph of your comment.
How ASCAP and BMI can help?
and how do i find this blog?

georg_e

Oh, I added the second paragraph a couple minutes later :-)    ASCAP and BMI have writer representatives who will meet with new writers and listen at their offices. (YOu have to call up, ask who the writer reps are for your type of music, and be persistent to get an appointment. It's MUCH easier to get an appointment at BMI...ASCAP almost impossible unless you're already a published writer. That's what I found, anyway.  Just to show you how important they can be, it was a writer rep at BMI who sent Dr. Luke Ke$ha's first demo tape:  Ke$ha's mother had gotten the demo to the rep at BMI.

I didn;t mean any particular blog, but Swedish Stereo Blogspot is good......or this site!!!  (Cheiron Songwriters)  So many people post songs on here for new recording artists........check 'em out and see if they might be good for your stuff :-)

georg_e

Quote from: royeei on February 14, 2013, 03:42:11 AM
maybe i didnt understand you, the Luke example is when he had the luck to meet A&R's .
Did you mean generally , to work hard?

Yes, work hard of course, but I don't think it was luck that got him to meet them..........he had to hustle like everybody else to get those appointments ;-)   

royeei

Thanks George, you have helped me, but i think i want to ask few more questions, so i will do it tomorrow, i need to go to sleep :), if it is OK with you.
Thanks

Dominik

Hi there,

i wanted to contribute something too. My personal experience is that its going to get
much easier to get help of the A&R people once you gained some sort of trust.
When I got my first 3-4 bigger cuts for artists I was much easier be heard and also somehow
the A&R's liked songs from me that they rejected months ago just because I had something
on the map. Some kind of psychology.
And also I would just only send 1 or 2 songs to A&R's but do it regularly so they won't get overstrained but see that
you actually work hard for your career and want to improve on your skills.

Rebecca

Quote from: georg_e on February 13, 2013, 08:14:11 PM
          In very simplified terms, a publisher does this for a songwriter:  finds users for songs, issues licenses, collects money for writer, and sometimes hooks you up with other writers.  Record companies are more about the promotion and distribution and A&R for the recording artist's career.   BUT......I think you can find a foot in the door either way.....if an A&R loves your song, then great. Same thing with a publisher. And the line is so blurred  now. for example Dr. Luke is producer/songwriter/musician/publisher.....and he has his own label.

The one common denominator is they both can force an artist to sing a song, like with Ke$ha----- sorry, couldn't resist that :-D

haha, it still makes me laugh that they forced her to sing!

royeei

Hi George,
-If you said that it is easy to set a meeting at BMI, so the common sense says that it very possible to send demos for first impression, is it true?

-can you tell more about the writer representative? How many people work in this role?

- where can I find in this site songs that people upload? Is it sporadic?

- Do you know which organization ( BMI,ASCAP, etc) Kristian Lundin belongs to ?

georg_e

Quote from: royeei on February 15, 2013, 02:57:27 AM
Hi George,
-If you said that it is easy to set a meeting at BMI, so the common sense says that it very possible to send demos for first impression, is it true?

-can you tell more about the writer representative? How many people work in this role?

- where can I find in this site songs that people upload? Is it sporadic?

- Do you know which organization ( BMI,ASCAP, etc) Kristian Lundin belongs to ?

Hi Royeei,

About BMI....didn't mean to say it's easy....just that ASCAP is very difficult to get appointments for new writers.  It's actually not easy even at BMI......you have to really be persistent.  YOu could call one of their offices and ask about the names of writer reps.  There's about four or five of 'em in the NY office where I live. It's not really their main job to work with new writers, they are busy with their established ones already, but they will do it.  But they wont take demos just sent in, that wont work, you have to go in person.    On this site, under the "New Songs" section.........don't know about Kristian Lundin, but prob someone else on here does :-)

Good luck!!!

royeei

in the "new songs" is it not new songs of Cheiron writers"?

Have you experienced a meeting with some songwriters representative?

georg_e

Quote from: royeei on February 15, 2013, 06:36:33 PM
in the "new songs" is it not new songs of Cheiron writers"?

Have you experienced a meeting with some songwriters representative?
Sorry, I meant "Other Music".   Yes, I have, at BMI three times.  (Two different reps).