• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Hey guys, I'm posting a couple of my tracks

Started by badpoetry, May 26, 2015, 11:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badpoetry

Hey guys,

I just recently found this forum and I'm stoked to be here among people who are fans of Max and company as much as I am and having this great info.

I wanted to post a couple of my tracks here for you guys. They're not that good but it is a pleasure for me to share them with other people. If anyone is crazy enough to want to write lyrics to them just hit me up.
Track 1: https://soundcloud.com/borislav_tonev/taylor-swift-instrumental

Track 2:
https://soundcloud.com/borislav_tonev/on-my-way-instrumental

Track 2:
https://soundcloud.com/borislav_tonev/u-and-me-40

Track 3:
https://soundcloud.com/borislav_tonev/electropop-trainwreck-13-3

That'll do for now.

ShockdioN

I like them !!!
U and Me 40 sounds like something Pink would do :)

badpoetry

Thanks man, I just edited another, new track into my original post.

B Steady

there are two "Track 2"s  :P

ok, Taylor Swift is really amazing! I can hear that you had a vision while creating it. also, it would indeed fit (the early) Taylor Swift! well done!

U And Me 40 - the guitars are out of tune in spots :-\ (when you count 1-2-3-4, 5-6-7-8, 9-10-11-12, 13-14-15-16 in quarter notes, then the guitar is out of tune from 9 to 16). I really like it when the chorus comes in, but the lead synth is annoying (me), could work with vocals though. but it seems that it's a detuned synth, what makes the tuning problem of the guitars even worse.

On My Way is Till The World Ends inspired? I can hear heavy influences. It sounds not finished to me. I like everything I can hear but there's still a lot missing.

Trainwreck is nice to hear as I can hear your progress you made since then!

Overall I like what you're doing but the compositions could be more interesting. they're very monotonous. I don't know if that's intended or if you're not really able to come up with more interesting chord progressions and changes. anyway, keep up the good work!
Vila i frid Dag

badpoetry

Thank you, great and detailed criticism, I love it. I couldn't really hear what was wrong with the guitars on U & Me and now that I know I will work on it. Thank you for taking the time to write this! Oh and yes, On My Way is Till the world ends inspired, I was obsessed with that song when I started it (btw I have the stems from TTWE  if anyone wants to check them out). I have heard people talk about making chord progressions more "interesting" and I never know what they mean. Could you elaborate on that? Maybe adding seventh to some chords or changing the progression in the bridge?
Thanks again for your post.

Romb

Really liked you ideas mate!

In my opinion, your weakness is on production side of things at the moment, as to mixing, mastering and recording.

While I loved the production ideas, the execution wasn't great (and that's what it has to be these days to make the cut, good is not enough). As already pointed out, the guitar in U and Me 40 is out of tune. It has probably to do with an intonation problem of your guitar (If I'd get a dollar every time I see guitarists having these issues). I mean, your open strings might be in tune, but as soon as you travel the fretboard the notes are not in pitch.

Also, in some songs I had the feeling that the kick/snare is too snappy or even harsh. It works for some moments, but drums is an important element of dynamics of the song, lots of people shift the focus to melodies and completely neglect the drums. It seems like you are using the same drumkit for all songs?

And my final point, I don't think there's any issue with your chord progressions. At the end of the day it all comes down to how it plays with vocals. I mean, seriously, Moves Like Jagger (which I consider genial) has 2 chords repeated throughout the whole song. More interesting progression you say?  :D

But that's just my humble opinion, it is a bit hard to judge this type of music without having vocals in mind. Even worldwide hits sometimes sound boring if you cut off the vocal part.
Cheers

badpoetry

Thanks for your comments! I'm still working on trying to improve and I appreciate you taking the time to write this. The guitars on U&Me is actually a buddy of mine who is a guitar player. I don't really play guitar, I'm just used to relying on plugins and having things in tune is not something I usually think about so I guess it got away from me. And no, I'm not using the same drumkit obviously but I do use some of the sam samples from time to time :D :D Also I have a bunch of older stuff on my soundcloud that I'm not happy or just older mixes of tracks I've improved since then at least mix-wise with and should take down because when people give me these general comments they are probably referring to these older tracks.

B Steady

Quote from: Romb on June 04, 2015, 02:22:33 AM
And my final point, I don't think there's any issue with your chord progressions. At the end of the day it all comes down to how it plays with vocals. I mean, seriously, Moves Like Jagger (which I consider genial) has 2 chords repeated throughout the whole song. More interesting progression you say?  :D

I wasn't talking about how progressions work, I was talking about the aspiration you should have as a composer. because once you're successful in the music business you are representing music. of course simple chord structures work the best to sell music but from an ambitious composer's point of view two different chords in one song are just not enough.
Vila i frid Dag

Romb

Quote from: B Steady on June 04, 2015, 12:01:58 PM
...but from an ambitious composer's point of view two different chords in one song are just not enough.

Well, it's a personal preference and can't be debated  ;).

Can be gazillion chords and song would still suck, or 1 chord and the song will hook you like a muthaf*ker, haha. And the other way around.
If it works the rest doesn't matter. I'm sure you are familiar with the general point that there's only 12 notes.

But yeah, I get your opinion, and mine perception of music as ambitions composer is just probably different. That's why a lot of people hate one type of music and love another.

B Steady

I'm not talking about feelings, just about REAL art. but there's no room for this in mainstream pop music.
Vila i frid Dag

badpoetry

Quote from: B Steady on June 04, 2015, 06:55:53 PM
by far the worst imho

The Synth prechorus part is great but the rest of it I'm not happy with

B Steady

Vila i frid Dag

badpoetry

Me? No, I haven't, resend it or message me on soundcloud or get my facebook from soundcloud.