• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

The Problem with Max

Started by Feelgoodlies, September 03, 2007, 04:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feelgoodlies

Hey guys
let's take this as a discussion and swap our thoughts logically

We all love max but I just don't like the fact of copying his music to different artists it actually became like a copy-paste process in songs like:

U +ur hand and the song Tap That and Do It All and 4ever not to mention the exact rip-off of Since U Been Gone and Just Want You To Know

andrea

Quote from: "Feelgoodlies"U +ur hand and the song Tap That and Do It All and 4ever

i don't agree, they simply have in common the same chords in the chorus: Am, F, C, G

LJ

Well I agree and disagree because it doesn't make sense to critize it today, because if you go back to the old days, it was the "cheiron sound" that got them all known and famous. I don't know how many songs during the 90's that you went "OMG they try to do the cheiron sound" to other producers because that sound was unique for Cheiron... however, they re-used it over and over for years. Without people like me ever getting bored. And the reason I never got bored was because the melodies always stood out.

What I'm trying to say is that, he's always done this... he's always somewhat repeated the base to songs. The only difference now is that he's doing pop-rock songs, use more real instruments (before they hardly ever used real ones)... and is not using the old Cheiron sound. The melodies however, are still different from song to song.

That's just how I feel.

ANJ600

In a way, yes, you are right.  But I would not call it simply a "cut-and paste" situation.  Max and Luke may use the same instruments and musical chords, and song structure but don't forget just like I have recently posted that it is not Max who is just doing this...

Have a listen to the song by Jessica Fockler: "Tell Me what you Like" and the worldwide hit : "...Baby One More Time" sung by you know who (Britney Spears).  Ok, these songs are identical in almost every way possible which led me to believe that BOTH songs were produced by Denniz PoP and Max Martin.  But later it was mentioned that Rami played a side role in the co-production of the track.

What I'm saying is that similar melodies and chords are used for many songs is not something new, nor is it something to look down upon.  In fact, I believe it shows true talent and amazing skills when Max and Luke use basically one hit song to make another hit song.  It shows how much they can "milk" the song and achieve even greater success.  I mean yes, lots of people say "Hey wait a minute, this song, (U +Ur Hand) sounds just like (4ever) but they also find it remarkable that their favorite song "breaks apart into two" because the person who likes the first song will automatically like the second song, so now they start to listen to OTHER songs sung by "that" artist.  In a way, it is like a marketing tool.

However, make no mistake - just because the songs are similar does NOT mean Max is "cutting corners"  Like I said, it takes A LOT of skill to make one song successful and then use the same outlay for another song and make THAT one a huge success as well.

Andreas Carlsson and Kristian Lundin also do the same thing - listen to "Not For Me" by BSB, then listen to "That Girl Will Never Be Mine" by N'Sync and then Listen to "To Be Able to Love" by Jessica.  ALL amazing hit songs for that particular artist, and all derived from one basic structure/beat/melody - it's real talent...