• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Max wins Polar Music Prize AMAZING VIDEO INTERVIEW

Started by klukan, February 10, 2016, 10:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polarmachine

j.fco.morales

Quote from: turnaround on February 11, 2016, 10:36:56 PM
Article

http://storytelling.di.se/max-martin/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

This might be a really hard question, but how, exactly, do you build a song?
"All these questions are really hard!"
Do you work chronologically – do you begin with the intro?
""Again, it depends. Lately, I've written a lot of music where there's already a set background. There's already a completed track. In those cases, it's more about working with the dramaturgy of the melody. It should never get repetitive. I like it when a song is like a journey, building up along the way. That they start out smaller than they end. Along the trip, you add elements that make the listener less likely to tire. Then, at the end, euphoria."

"That's really true for all songs. If you listen to the first, second and third chorus of a song, they don't sound the same. It's the same melody and all that but what really happens is that the energy changes. It's all about getting the listener to keep his or her concentration. When I play a song to someone and ask "So how do you like this?", I don't care all that much about what they say. What I really pay attention to is how they act, their body language.
People who lose their concentration give themselves away very quickly. If they start fiddling with their phones as the second verse kicks in, there may be something about the tune that wasn't good enough. Something also happens when I listen as if with other people's ears. I get nervous and think to myself, 'Shit, this part is a bit too slow'."

Rebecca

Thanks for posting the interview, it is so great to read.

I love all the photos too - and that Its Alive t-shirt!

volkanyurdabak

Britney MUST come back to Max Martin immediately. Without him, she is nothing. We saw that with the Britney Jean debacle.

Wolf Cousin

'' Lately, I've written a lot of music where there's already a set background. There's already a completed track. In those cases, it's more about working with the dramaturgy of the melody. It should never get repetitive.  ''

And later:

''Another theory is that you can also sing the chorus melody as a verse. For instance, take I Wanna Be Your Lover with Prince. The verse and chorus of that song are exactly the same. But as a listener, you don't really notice since the energy of the chorus is completely different compared to the verse (he sings like Prince to show his point). Once the chorus comes, you feel like you've heard it before. And you have! You've heard it in the verse. It automatically creates a sense of familiarity''

I couldn't find a direct quote from Max or Shellback. But since Dr. Luke is one of Max's students, I'll quote him from the days that he was working with Max (I know Max or Shellback have said something similar).

So, it's the king's speech theory of pop music:   ''Yeah, repeat it, repeat the same thing''

So to what exactly is Max revering to when he says it should never get repetitive?
Also, would Max's way of working differ now that he writes to track instead of melody first like they used to do all the time?   I always find my melody's get predictable when I write to track.   Then again, my name is not Max Martin.

sonnyblack2000

There s a delicate balance in songwriting where you want to repeat enough to be memorable but not too much to bore people. The Prince examples are great, both i wanna be your lover, lets go crazy and when doves cry use the same melodies throughout but the arrangement and performance of the music and vocals make it feel different.
As for writing melodies first or to track there s a big difference of course but both can yield good results. The problem to writing to tracks is that a lot of tracks out there (by less capable musicians) tend to have the same chord pattern, so it does forces the melodies around those patterns. The Woldcousins crew have been good at going with different chord patterns, though they do use the common ones as well

bugmenot

QuotePolar Talks proudly presents a master class with Max Martin!

The Polar Talks program on June 15 at Kulturhuset Stadsteatern in Stockholm will be completed by an exclusive session with Max Martin.

In a world exclusive live talk, one of the 2016 Polar Music Prize Laureate discusses with interviewer Jan Gradvall his phenomenal song writing career and perhaps shares some of the secrets of his success. Extracts of songs will be played from Max Martin's 20 year song catalogue and he will comment on how the magic was created.

This master class requires a separate ticket (80 SEK), available through Kulturhuset Stadsteatern.
www.kulturhusetstadsteatern.se

Just to make us envious.

Rebecca

The Polar Talk with Max sound amazing. I hope it's recorded!

turnaround

It seems like the Backstreet Boys will there too perform!

https://www.facebook.com/polarmusicprize/photos/a.384921916765.171395.291610216765/10153601591381766/?type=3

This Thursday Seinabo Sey will perform at the prize ceremony, in front of the Polar Music Prize guests, including Laureates Max Martin and Cecilia Bartoli, and her childhood idols Backstreet Boys.
"To perform in front of Backstreet Boys is not a problem at all, but I might be a bit more nervous meeting them backstage...What would 10-year-old Seinabo have said if she had known about this?"
Seinabo has a strong personal memory of the first time she was invited to the Polar Music Prize Ceremony, in 2014. She was "starstruck by the whole event" and Laureate Peter Sellars' speech moved her deeply. When he said "Music is not just about music, but what is so powerful about music is that it is about everything else in the world...", time almost stopped, she says. She understood exactly what he meant, and realized she had the exact same look on things, she just hadn't put it into words yet. Seinabo thinks that Peter Sellars' words explain so well why she is doing what she is doing now - music. Music exists to describe what life is all about, and is a tool to express and feel all components of life.
Peter Sellars' words have followed her during the past hectic years of her career, both in Sweden and internationally. We are so happy that she will be standing on our stage on Thursday, performing "As long as you love me", a massive hit made world famous by... yes, Backstreet Boys.
You can listen to Peter Sellars' speech here: https://youtu.be/s0tf49ZLuoQ.
And I liked it..

B Steady

QuoteThis Thursday Seinabo Sey will perform at the prize ceremony, in front of the Polar Music Prize guests, including Laureates Max Martin and Cecilia Bartoli, and her childhood idols Backstreet Boys.
"To perform in front of Backstreet Boys is not a problem at all, but I might be a bit more nervous meeting them backstage...What would 10-year-old Seinabo have said if she had known about this?"
Seinabo has a strong personal memory of the first time she was invited to the Polar Music Prize Ceremony, in 2014. She was "starstruck by the whole event" and Laureate Peter Sellars' speech moved her deeply. When he said "Music is not just about music, but what is so powerful about music is that it is about everything else in the world...", time almost stopped, she says. She understood exactly what he meant, and realized she had the exact same look on things, she just hadn't put it into words yet. Seinabo thinks that Peter Sellars' words explain so well why she is doing what she is doing now - music. Music exists to describe what life is all about, and is a tool to express and feel all components of life.
Peter Sellars' words have followed her during the past hectic years of her career, both in Sweden and internationally. We are so happy that she will be standing on our stage on Thursday, performing "As long as you love me", a massive hit made world famous by... yes, Backstreet Boys.
You can listen to Peter Sellars' speech here: https://youtu.be/s0tf49ZLuoQ.
Vila i frid Dag

turnaround

Here they are in a video.

https://www.facebook.com/polarmusicprize/videos/10153605286796766

And here are photos.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/maxmartin

The ceremony can be watched tomorrow here (hopefully also from outside Sweden)
http://www.tv4play.se/program/polar-music-prize?video_id=3382873
And I liked it..

AlexanderLaBrea

I was there tonight. Lots of pop royalty in one room... Sat in front of shellback and Ali, Brian from BSB was there, Rami and Carl Falk too. And Doris!  ;D

turnaround

Wow. How cool. Have you talked to anyone? Or taken any pictures.

Will you be at the ceremony too? Was is recorded?

So many questions. :)
And I liked it..

AlexanderLaBrea

Haha no on the off chance of ever getting the possibility to ever play them music or something, felt like I don't wanna be recognized as the "fanboy" who "cried" and "kissed" Shellback's feet (which was the initial gut reaction...)  ;D

But seriously, no just some snippets (nothing better than on the #maxmartin hastag on instagram) but yeah it was all recorded and will apparently be shown on TV later :)