web counter
The Weeknd - new single "Blinding Lights" (Max Martin, O. Holter)

Author Topic: The Weeknd - new single "Blinding Lights" (Max Martin, O. Holter)  (Read 24419 times)

Offline McCartneyMartin

• One Hit Wonder
  • "When Two Titans Finally Clash."
  • Fave CHEIRON producer: Denniz Pop
  • Fave CHEIRON song: It's My Life by Dr. Alban
  • Fave CHEIRON writer: Max Martin
Re: The Weeknd - new single "Blinding Lights" (Max Martin, O. Holter)
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2020, 01:42:30 AM »
In Your Eyes is my second favorite track off the album after Blinding light. Save your tears is my third and the other 2 Max songs are the most solid tracks of the rest.

Save your tears sounds like a hit too but I think it sounds really similar to Post Malone's song Circle. Had anyone else noticed?
I have, mostly in the drum work & melody. It's kinda sad that Max has to make his own "bootleg" version of a preexisting hit song just to stay alive on the charts.

This is not the first time too:

True by Spandau Ballet = I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys,
Hey Ya by Outkast = Shake It Off,
UpTown Funk! by Mark Ronson = Can't Feel My Face by The Weeknd &
                                                 Can't Stop The Feeling by Justin Timberlake
Royals by Lorde = Send My Love (To Your New Lover)

Just to name a few.

Offline Snipes3000

• One Hit Wonder
  • Fave CHEIRON song: Everybody (Backstreet's Back)
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2020, 03:31:21 AM »
Nothing sad about it imo, rather a skill essential for those who wanna remain in popular music. I call it improvement of the state of the art. Dr luke opened up about it to Seabrook. When indie rock was popular in the early 2000's, people loved the music. Dr luke and Max Martin enjoyed the sonics of those songs but Max Martin addressed to Dr luke when what type of energy had to come in those songs and it didnt come. They loved the style of music but also had the believe that they could actually do it better, especially with regard to delivering the right amounts of energy at the right time (a strength of Max Martin songs). We all know what happened: we - as ordinary listeners - still love the Max Martin songs from that era and merely like the others from that era. If a song sounds like Circles, it's just like a painter saying that he is going to make a painting in the style of Picasso's blue period. It means that you would use the style of colours, but you could paint a whole different theme on your palette. Sometimes you want certain colors cause they please pop crowd. It is like having a great hiphop song in 2019 without the 808 bass, everybody is gonna miss it. Don't criticize this aspect but instead learn from it and try to make it one of your skills. Dali spoke of how imitation was a necessity in creating. Imitate the colors, but not the lines on the palette. The former is a good steal, but imitating the lines as well in a weaker fashion is suicide.

We have blinding lights sounding like 80's. Saved your life sounding like Akon's Sunny Day and this song sounding like Circles.

That sax guy on in your eyes also played the sax in Only Human. Im into saxophones now, also love the one in All that she wants ace of base. Brass is my flaw that I soon hope to turn into a strength.

Offline nanofives

• The Real Thing
  • Fave CHEIRON producer: Max Martin
  • Fave CHEIRON song: Celine Dion - That's the way it is
  • Fave CHEIRON writer: Rami Yacoub
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2020, 06:28:51 AM »

He's not the only one getting inspiration of Post Malone's Circles.

Offline B Steady

• Global Moderator
  • True Believer
  • Fave CHEIRON producer: Kristian Lundin
  • Fave CHEIRON song: Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely | post Cheiron: Touch It
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2020, 08:58:06 PM »
Save your tears sounds like a hit too but I think it sounds really similar to Post Malone's song Circle. Had anyone else noticed?

That was my very first thought when I heard it for the first time.

Too Late, Hardest to Love, and After Hours are insanely well produced - once again a brilliant album by The Weeknd. Quality-wise probably the most consistent artist of the past ten years, especially considering his output.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 11:25:09 PM by B Steady »
Vila i frid Dag

Offline AlexanderLaBrea

• Brand New
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2020, 12:47:50 AM »

This is not the first time too:

True by Spandau Ballet = I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys,
Hey Ya by Outkast = Shake It Off,
UpTown Funk! by Mark Ronson = Can't Feel My Face by The Weeknd &
                                                 Can't Stop The Feeling by Justin Timberlake
Royals by Lorde = Send My Love (To Your New Lover)

Just to name a few.

Iím gonna assume youíve heard somebody say this but havnít actually tried comparing these songs yourself. Right?

Offline McCartneyMartin

• One Hit Wonder
  • "When Two Titans Finally Clash."
  • Fave CHEIRON song: It's My Life by Dr. Alban
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2020, 03:27:53 AM »
Iím gonna assume youíve heard somebody say this but havnít actually tried comparing these songs yourself. Right?

I have, For example, after the final chrous of "True" you can hear the refrain that was used in "IWITW". The Instrumentation of "Shake It Off" sounds almost the same as "Hey Ya" but with more horns. "SML (TYNY)" has the same build up as "Royal" only with a more poppier hook. Finally "Can't Stop The Feeling" has the heavy brass & groove as "UpTown Funk" only with smothered sounding guitars & a call back on the final chorus that sounds like it was pulled from Max's other hit "Everybody" from 97.

What do hear them as well?

Offline j.fco.morales

• True Believer
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2020, 07:01:19 PM »
Pretty much everything sounds like Post Malone now...