• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

A lot of Max Martin's productions have multiple credits . .

Started by Cheiron Meets Thizz, September 08, 2015, 02:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheiron Meets Thizz

A lot of Max Martin's productions have multiple credits . . and this thread is by no means a way to detract from his success. His influence is noted by everyone of his understudies so that's definitely not up for question

What I'm asking is, with the Max Martin experts on here . . can we dissect his involvement and role in these songs

RoyFan

Great question.  I've read a lot and asked people that know questions.

In this new phase - "Since U Been Gone" - Present - in terms of actual composition contribution to songs his main contribution is topline - i.e. vocal melody.
Sometimes the chorus , like "SUBG"  Sometimes most of the song like "Roar"  Also Luke mentioned in an interview that for 1 of the "Teenage Dream" re issue songs ("wide awake" and "part of me") that Max had a vocal melody laying around, and Luke had the track before hand and they just fit great.  I'm pretty sure
he was referring to "part of me" so that's another where the vocal melody is Max for the whole song.  You can pm me if you want a more detailed list for his
melodic contributions

But you're right - most of the people that work with him say that he's an overall genius.  I think that's because even if he doesn't create entire tracks these days like "baby one more time" , sometimes the smallest change to a song's tracks and parts makes a world of difference.  And apparently he does that a lot.

He does also contribute instrumental support.  His keyboard style is actually pretty easy to tell.  He does repeated 8ths or 16ths of one note like on the chorus of "so what" and "what do you want from me" (multiple notes there) and "Style" but, by his own admission he doesn't build tracks from scratch these days like Luke. 
Oh and when working on songs that are already written like a lot of the Taylor Swift stuff, he contributions a tone of Background Vocals and vocal "events" that
again are adding a ton with a little.  Just imagine those without the BVs and you'll see how.

RoyFan

what makes it a little bit hard to follow also is that a lot of people that don't verify things assume either extreme about him.

Either that since he's credited on so many hit songs that he's the main contributor to all of them and he's the greatest songwriter/instrumentalist/producer/arranger
that ever lived

or

When people start to read a bit about the abilities of some his main collaborators like Katy, Luke, Shellback they start to assume his contributions are often
very minimal and that's he very overrated since obviously no one can be behind sooooooo many songs on their own   - when the truth is definitely in the middle.

sweetmelody

Good stuff, Roy. Agree with you. This really ties into to the other thread regarding the "formula." Collaboration with the right people is a HUGE factor in Max's success.

j.fco.morales

Songs come from different places.

Some people here said Max doesn't write to a track, but I think that's what he does now, being himself CEO of a publisher.
Luke said several times, that for him, the best way to write a song is write to a track, because you have half of the work done.

And Max says he always records melodies to his dictaphone, and it makes sense since he's a topliner and melody focused.

sweetmelody

Quote from: j.fco.morales on September 16, 2015, 05:10:19 PM
Some people here said Max doesn't write to a track, but I think that's what he does now, being himself CEO of a publisher.
Luke said several times, that for him, the best way to write a song is write to a track, because you have half of the work done.

I think you're right. I believe Max specifically mentioned in the Swedish radio interview that he mostly writes to tracks now.

soundoffhear

Max Martin's role can best be understood through evolution of his function over the decades.

Late 80's early 90's: Musician/Songwriter
Mid 90's: Producer's Apprentice
Late 90's: Producer/Tunesmith
Early 2000's: Stay at home dad/Industry observer
Mid 2000's: Tastemaker/Mentor
2010's-Now: Executive Producer

Now take any of the roles from Now and back and he can interchange between them. For instance, in a lot of ways in the mid 2000's he was a Production Apprentice again. And as an Executive Producer he can do whatever the hell he wants.

bugmenot

Quote from: soundoffhear on September 17, 2015, 01:04:49 AM
Max Martin's role can best be understood through evolution of his function over the decades.

So not true.

RoyFan

Quote from: bugmenot on September 17, 2015, 05:53:56 AM
So not true.

Can't we all just get along?   Lol.. We're not in competition here.  It's just a fun exchange of info.
The functions thru decade I'm not sure about, and from everything I've read, his ability with melodies and contribution of vocal melodies to pop songs is something that's ALWAYS been there with him. Every phase.  If you had to pick ONE thing that he's added to our lives thru decades it's melodies we all sing along to.

Since I'm not there behind the scenes (tho I'd lovvve to be), I'm not sure either way about the DETAILS of what else he's contributed to all those great songs other
than great vocal melodies.

He apparently is great at Vocal production and arrangement.  And he has produced songs all on his own. 
But if you're like me and your favorite period of him is 2004 - Present, than in terms of actual chorg progressions, guitar parts, bass parts, and even drum parts he's played more of a "yoda" role.  i.e. been a filter for others and made great suggestions.  Other than "please don't leave me" by Pink which apparently he did the chords to as well.

But if one knows of more detailed involvement of his in songs in this period I'd LOVE to know!!!

sand_bar

And Max says he always records melodies to his dictaphone, and it makes sense since he's a topliner and melody focused.

where does he talk about his dictaphone? is there an article?

kjdrapeau

What do you mean "write to tracks'? Writing to instrumentals? Lyrics as opposed to top lines you mean? You confused me at "half the work is done"

Cheiron Meets Thizz

Quote from: soundoffhear on September 17, 2015, 01:04:49 AM

Late 80's early 90's: Musician/Songwriter
Mid 90's: Producer's Apprentice
Late 90's: Producer/Tunesmith
Early 2000's: Stay at home dad/Industry observer
Mid 2000's: Tastemaker/Mentor
2010's-Now: Executive Producer

Now take any of the roles from Now and back and he can interchange between them. For instance, in a lot of ways in the mid 2000's he was a Production Apprentice again. And as an Executive Producer he can do whatever the hell he wants.

That's a nice breakdown, he seems to be getting Executive Producer roles now (or I've been noticing them more) - it makes sense if people trust his direction for their project but it still seems like he has a prominent role as a writer and as a producer. Didn't he add two #1's to his total this year?

Quote from: sand_bar on September 21, 2015, 03:59:20 AM
where does he talk about his dictaphone? is there an article?

I'd like to hear about that. I remember seeing an MTV episode with an aspiring rapper who wasn't too good but he used a dictophone - which I found to be interesting because it's not how rappers typically work

Quote from: kjdrapeau on September 23, 2015, 09:15:42 AM
What do you mean "write to tracks'? Writing to instrumentals? Lyrics as opposed to top lines you mean? You confused me at "half the work is done"

He means writing to instrumentals as opposed to writing without an instrumental which would make for a topline driven creative process . . for a writer it can be nice to start with a blank canvas