• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

COUNTER melodies

Started by georg_e, December 26, 2012, 09:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georg_e

We had a good conversation on melody on here, and here's another very important area......COUNTER-melodies.  There's a fantastic one on "C'MON'' (Ke$ha) that comes in on the  chorus, and at end of bridge.  Another great one is on "The Time of Our Lives" (Miley Cyrus)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqpjxOV4F4c  both at beginning of song and a new one in the second half of chorus. These kind of really strong, prominent countermelodies are heard in some huge Bruce Springsteen records from the 80's, so they're tried and true technique!
(btw "C'mon" is basically "Time of Our Lives" progression except with the added 6 minor chord.....also the countermelodies in the choruses are similar)

Raul_esp

Ohh very interesting , I love the counter melodies , in ''C'mon'' is amazing , but maybe the best counter melody ever is the line of ''Baby one more time'' that says ''I must confess...''

georg_e

Quote from: Raul_esp on December 26, 2012, 11:31:41 PM
Ohh very interesting , I love the counter melodies , in ''C'mon'' is amazing , but maybe the best counter melody ever is the line of ''Baby one more time'' that says ''I must confess...''
Yes, Raul that's a great one :-)   I was actually talking about instrumental countermelodies though-- I should've written that before.  Here's another example...."Slow Goodbye" Lesley Roy......the guitar melody that begins the song comes in behind the chorus too-- it really makes the song!!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WWH_fB46UE

Raul_esp

Quote from: georg_e on December 27, 2012, 04:43:10 PM
Quote from: Raul_esp on December 26, 2012, 11:31:41 PM
Yes, Raul that's a great one :-)   I was actually talking about instrumental countermelodies though-- I should've written that before.  Here's another example...."Slow Goodbye" Lesley Roy......the guitar melody that begins the song comes in behind the chorus too-- it really makes the song!!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WWH_fB46UE

Yes , this song is great!!!!

AdamKhan

whats a counter melody in an intrumental track? someone please briefly explain...is it more then one melodic part in an overall melody? eager to know. cheers.

georg_e

Quote from: AdamKhan on December 28, 2012, 12:37:37 AM
whats a counter melody in an intrumental track? someone please briefly explain...is it more then one melodic part in an overall melody? eager to know. cheers.
Well  I'm talking about just one instrumental countermelody part to a vocal... for example if you take  the track of "C'mon", the instrumental countermelody is that simple high melody in the chorus on some kind of synth, you'd know better than me what kind of synth it is. (Would like to know, it's beautiful). That part is the countermelody to the vocal. Usually there's just one instrumental countermelody to a vocal so it doesn't get too cluttered. Hope that's what you're asking :-)

ps  just found this instrumental of "C'mon"   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-ts_A_jpk

AdamKhan

Quote from: georg_e on December 28, 2012, 02:51:21 AM
Quote from: AdamKhan on December 28, 2012, 12:37:37 AM
Well  I'm talking about just one instrumental countermelody part to a vocal... for example if you take  the track of "C'mon", the instrumental countermelody is that simple high melody in the chorus on some kind of synth, you'd know better than me what kind of synth it is. (Would like to know, it's beautiful). That part is the countermelody to the vocal. Usually there's just one instrumental countermelody to a vocal so it doesn't get too cluttered. Hope that's what you're asking :-)

ps  just found this instrumental of "C'mon"   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-ts_A_jpk

Thanks mate. i get the idea now :-)...p.s i think the synth may be a juno 106, im also hearing a guitar lead layered on top or possibly a synth. Very analogue sounding production. Love the crunchy bass also on the chorus Lol. The bridge sounds awesome.

Joshua

Thumbs up for counter melodies! They really do add a lot to certain tracks in particular. It's been mentioned somewhere on here before, but the counter melody added into P!nk's "So What" after the bridge takes that chorus to a whole new level, just when you think it can't get any better. I had actually never considered the term "counter melody" to refer to anything other than the vocal B-choruses they used to use so often. But you're right, they're still featured heavily in the instrumentals. I've put a few in my own songs, but they mostly come about by accident when I realise my introduction fits perfectly with my chorus due to using the same chords. But now you've brought the topic up, I'm going to make sure I focus on them a lot more when listening to tracks, and try deliberately writing them into some of my choruses.

Rebecca

Quote from: georg_e on December 28, 2012, 02:51:21 AM

wow, that instrumental is incredible! so much detail there.