• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

The "REAL" Cheiron sound...

Started by Tommy Nelson, May 19, 2007, 07:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Nelson

Hey everyone!!! If you're looking for the actual sounds used in "Cheiron" productions on some virtual recording software with computer samples of sound patches, you're barking up the wrong tree! Keep in mind, this is in reference to all the songs produced at Cheiron before 2000... Back in the 90's they used "workstation keyboards", (real) analog synthesizers, and rack synths at Cheiron. That's where all their sounds came from. Not ANY type of "virtual" computer patches. I'm not saying they didn't use computers at all, they did use Pro-Tools, which they only used for recording and mixing. So if you want to make the "actual" Cheiron sound, you're going to need the actual sounds they used which are on these various now "vintage" keyboards, rack synths, etc. 8)

turnaround

Means all nothing to me, but I am sure it's interesting

I just read that at Maratone

Do you use Addictive Drums from XLN Audio
YES

How can I get a hold of your sounds?
You can find a complete list of our studio equipment on the studio pages. We cannot specify any sounds/drum loops etc since we are using so many different ones.
We are not always using sounds from sampling cd's. We have recorded live musicians for a long time.
And I liked it..

maxmartin'sfan

addictive drums is perfect..

I Use It in My Music  :D

®a|ÑßØw÷¢H!LÐ

Quote from: "Tommy Nelson"I'm not talking about what equipment they are using now at Maratone, Only what they used at Cheiron! And those are NOT the drums that they used... At Cheiron, they used Korg "workstation" synths for their drums. That's where the drums that were used (at Cheiron) come from! Not a computer program. 8)
Did you visit CHEIRON back in the days?

princessofegypt

^ Exactly. Some people seem to think to re-create the Cheiron sound, you just get any drum samples or any keyboard you want. It's not that easy, IF you want to create music with the same sounds they used. The sounds are so important, and to get them you must get the right equipment. Some people just don't realize.

Massproductions

Quote from: "Tommy Nelson"NO. Cheiron posted a complete list of ALL the equipment they had and used in the studio... I printed it out off the old Cheiron website many years ago and researched everything and found out what sounds came from where and so on. Also, I personaly own most of the equipment so I DO know what I'm talking about! The same equipment was used by many producers and artist back in the day, it's not exclusive to Cheiron. Denniz PoP used alot of famous synths and sound equipment he bought back in the 80's when he started at Swemix. He kept using the same equipment well in to the 90's at Cheiron and never really changed much of what he had to work with becuase it's what he started on and what he knew best. So all I'm trying to say by starting this thred is that if someone want's to make the "Cheiron sound" they are not going to get it by using just any generic computer sample or some new keyboard that's out there on the market today. It will take years and cost alot of money to get everything you need but it is worth it if you really want to make the same exact kind of music. If not, you can take the cheap and easy way out (that most people are doing) and try to download generic synth patches on your pc or get a "box" full of sounds to use with your midi keyboard. But it will never be the same as the real thing. :!:

Now, that's interesting. Could you give some samples you know are a bit cheiron:ish? You do own much of the equipment. Also could you post a list on the equipment they used a cheiron?

Massproductions

I see what you mean. But as you own some of the equippment you could sample one note from a cheiron:ish sound and post as a .wav file. That way other peaple could use those sounds aswell. Of course that would take some time... anyway just a thought. Btw, interesting to read your replays - you seem to know pretty much about production.

princessofegypt

He's trying to tell you that you CAN'T get the exact same sounds using computer sample mp3s. He's saying to get those sounds you need to research the equipment used (as listed on The Location page as well as Maratone sites) and go about it that way if you want the exact same sounds from the actual equipment they used. Those sounds aren't found online as samples, you have to get them the old fashioned way, by actually purchasing the equipment and playing the keyboards yourself. Help yourself a bit & look at the equipment list on those sites. He obviously doesn't want to share everything about which equipment they used on the Cheiron stuff, so you'll have to look and figure it out yourself if you want to know so bad.

Massproductions

Quote from: "princessofegypt"He's trying to tell you that you CAN'T get the exact same sounds using computer sample mp3s. He's saying to get those sounds you need to research the equipment used (as listed on The Location page as well as Maratone sites) and go about it that way if you want the exact same sounds from the actual equipment they used. Those sounds aren't found online as samples, you have to get them the old fashioned way, by actually purchasing the equipment and playing the keyboards yourself. Help yourself a bit & look at the equipment list on those sites. He obviously doesn't want to share everything about which equipment they used on the Cheiron stuff, so you'll have to look and figure it out yourself if you want to know so bad.

Wowowow! Do I hear a malicious tone here? You don't see what I mean.

1. I never us mp3:s in my songs. They are to bad in quality.
2. What I meant was for him to sample he's own synths, for example a snare. Record it as a .wav sound and post it for download here. I've done that myself with a drummachine, nothing strange about that. Piece of cake!

Massproductions

That's really interesting, thanks for the reply. I guess I don't wan't it to sound exactly the same at least not on all my tunes. You gotta reinvent the genre so to speak if peaple should be able to buy it. It can't be forever the same.

tbone

I just quickly read through this thread :-) It's funny...

So cool how everyone analyses the old Cheiron sound and tries to replicate it! Even though you might be going in the wrong direction a bit...
It's not as complicated as you think...

Rebecca

Hi tbone and welcome to the forum

Yes I like reading everyone's analysis of Cheiron sound too. I imagine it's so much to do with the songwriting skill rather than the equipment used, of course I have zero musical skill.

turnaround

It's such an interesting topic, and I wish I could talk more about it, but sadly I have no experience in studios and this technical stuff  :(
And I liked it..

Westhaven

Quote from: "Tommy Nelson"I'm not talking about what equipment they are using now at Maratone, Only what they used at Cheiron! And those are NOT the drums that they used... At Cheiron, they used Korg "workstation" synths for their drums. That's where the drums that were used (at Cheiron) come from! Not a computer program. 8)

Well, they mainly used Akai S series samplers (S-1000 and S-3000) for drums and loops, with samples coming from everywhere, sample CDs, other songs etc etc. Also various favourite snare sounds and other stuff coming from the E-Mu percussion rack thing.. And of course various hits and loops from the Roland JV-1080 module, especially using the Dance expansion (that was later recalled by Roland). Go thru the factory presets on that one and you'll hear some familar sounds.
They had a lot more Roland gear than KORG gear, so not sure where you got that info.

Westhaven

Quote from: "Tommy Nelson"Hello again. Yes, they did have Akai S series sampler's at Cheiron... HOWEVER, Akai S series samplers are not rack moduale's or synths that come with their own sounds. They are empty sampling workstations that allow you to compile all your favorite sounds form all of your "Other" various equipment (keyboards, rack synths (not computers) so you can have them all in one place if you wish. Also, they did NOT sample cd's (which is VERY unprofessional) nor did they have a Roland JV-1080... They had the JV-2080 model. And to add, they used more Korg sounds than anything at Cheiron.

Yes they had 990s, 1080s, and possibly 2080s too when that came out. And probably 5080s when that came out. I would say they used mostly Roland and EMU gear rather than KORG on the classic Cheiron sound. At least back in 96 when I was there ;) They had LOTS of gear there and were always looking for fresh new sounds.

And of course they sampled off CDs, both sample CDs and snippets off commercial releases. Everyone does/did that.