• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Article from slate.com about Max Martin's lyrics

Started by gm33, July 10, 2014, 08:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gm33

Max Martin, Andreas Carlsson, Jorgen Elofsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Denniz Pop all named in the article.

It's kinda silly, but she does have a point
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/07/09/max_martin_lyrics_are_silly_from_britney_spears_and_the_backstreet_boys.html
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I was writing with Max Martin and Johan Shellback who are two of my absolute songwriting heroes, they are just absolute melodic geniuses." - Taylor Alison Swift,  August 2012

georg_e

Quote from: gm33 on July 10, 2014, 08:31:58 PM
Max Martin, Andreas Carlsson, Jorgen Elofsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Denniz Pop all named in the article.

It's kinda silly, but she does have a point
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/07/09/max_martin_lyrics_are_silly_from_britney_spears_and_the_backstreet_boys.html
I read this too today.....wasn't gonna say anything, but what she doesn't get is that pop lyrics often SOUND better when they're a little bit wrong.....I got some myself right now that are a liitle bit ''huh''?,  but they work!

j.fco.morales

All this stuff is made on purpose.
Maybe to show how stupid people is, people don't really care about the lyrics when dancing.

Rebecca

I love the lyrics to Shape of my heart! yeah, some lyrics are silly, but I love how not all lyrics make perfect sense

She is wrong with Leona Lewis's Outta My Head - the lyrics are "I kept taking, taking the blame and it tore me up inside", not "and it's soring me up inside"!! people who put together lyric videos get lyrics wrong all the time.

cheironlover

Quote from: Rebecca on July 13, 2014, 10:24:32 AM
I love the lyrics to Shape of my heart! yeah, some lyrics are silly, but I love how not all lyrics make perfect sense

She is wrong with Leona Lewis's Outta My Head - the lyrics are "I kept taking, taking the blame and it tore me up inside", not "and it's soring me up inside"!! people who put together lyric videos get lyrics wrong all the time.

Just because lyrics are silly sometimes, doesn't always make it "shallow" or anything like that. Sometimes we need some humor.

rhythmic5

I like her nod to Max's foreign idiosyncrasies - his "Swedeglish" influence is especially noticeable on the It's Alive album. if anyone remembers, Jive had to remove "hit me" from the title of "Baby, One More Time" because it poorly translated to the US market. I agree with what has been said though, I think the weird/awkwardness from some of these lines adds to the catchiness. After all, weird lyrics and sounds are what "annoys" us and catches our attention.

Feelgoodlies

The lady is wrong, I just really think that Max is one of he best writers of pop music. His lyrics are genius, also, I like grammar (I was an Enghlish teacher) and actually I never noticed any grammatical mistake in his songs ever actually.

Max can't blame the ones who don't read between the lines of his dazzingly skilled writings

Oroz

Quote from: Feelgoodlies on July 15, 2014, 01:07:53 AMHis lyrics is genius, also, I like grammar

Mmm, english is not my native language but wouldn't it be "His lyrics ARE..." the correct way of saying it?

Best regards!

Feelgoodlies

Quote from: Oroz on July 15, 2014, 01:52:34 AM
Mmm, english is not my native language but wouldn't it be "His lyrics ARE..." the correct way of saying it?

Best regards!
Oh yes it indeed is "ARE". It was an unintentional mistake actually  ;D

gm33

-----------------------------------------------------------
"I was writing with Max Martin and Johan Shellback who are two of my absolute songwriting heroes, they are just absolute melodic geniuses." - Taylor Alison Swift,  August 2012

Rebecca

I love how Max thought those lyrics are funny! I think the same, it is funny

sweetmelody

Really just proves lyrics are secondary to melody. I mean if you really look at lyrics for some Beatles songs (and I'm a huge Beatles fan from Englad so this is no knock), but they made little sense and were sometimes very simple or even corny. It doesn't matter. I think if you like stuff like Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen you focus on the lyrics as that's probably one of the main elements. But straight up pop music is usually just simple and fun and doesn't take the lyrics too seriously. With that having been said, I think why the Katy Perry stuff is so great is that some of the songs have really, really clever and good lyrics.