• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Request: Dr Luke Ascap 2010

Started by Gino, November 25, 2013, 01:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gino

Hello friends!

I'm looking for the FULL Dr. Luke's ASCAP 2010 video

Does anybody know where could I find it? I've contacted ascap but they told me there is no full video :-S

But anyway I wanted to ask here

Thanks!!

nznexus

music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.

Gino

Thank Nexus! But sadly this is not the full speech!

Gino

Thanks Voodoo, but that is from 2011, I'm looking for the full 2010 one

Voodoo

Well if you find us.. let us know! good luck

nznexus

try asking on gearslutz.com

there  is one guy who has the videos and other stuff but i doubht he will give you it
music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.

nznexus

i d like to have this video... huge dr luke fan

Voodoo

Hey guys... still no dice on the video but I did find someones blog notes that was apparently at the expo. Here they are:

"Master Session with Dr. Luke" (Lukasz Gottwald)
http://www.danielleejames.com/?p=95

It was pretty cool to see the pre-master tracks for a handful of the hit songs this guy co-wrote and produced.  Also interesting was how it seems like he uses Pro Tools like it's an instrument unto itself.

This session started off with Dr. Luke showing off his tracks in Pro Tools for Kesha's "Tik Tok".

All in all it took up about 160 tracks (holey moley!), some bounced.
Vocal layering:
5 tracks used for the verse vocals (1 lead and 2 doubles).
Other parts used 8 vocal tracks + 2 doubles.   Also doubled harmonies.
At the end there were 9 vocal layers.
Layered kick drum (20 deep in some sections), and allowed some clipping to occur.
No guitar in the song.
No midi in the song.
The tambourine is real.
Co-wrote the song as it was being produced.
Had a lot of the music laid out by the time Kesha came in and did her part.
Didn't have a name for the song till late in the game.
P. Diddy did not want to do his little cameo.
Threw in some auto-tuning on a non-melody vocal, which had an interesting effect.
Lot of little accents thrown in.
Played original tracks for Miley Cyrus's "Party in the USA".

Initially recorded the guitar line, which wasn't in sync with the click track.  Played it all in one take, then cut it up and lined it up (and maybe looped some).
Used Juno 106 "laser" sound for transition, and detuned a duplicate slightly on another track.
Song was originally written for a different artist from the U.K.   The lyrics were adjusted to suit Miley; e.g. changed out "Walmart" with "Macy's" for business reasons.
Played original tracks from Katy Perry's "Hot and Cold".

Katy wrote most of the lyrics.
He wrote the melody and did some censoring of Katy's original lyrics.
A lot of similar production style as with the previous two.  Lot of chopping up and layering of tracks, etc.
Played original tracks for Flo Rida's "Right Round".

Started with an a capella track by the rapper, which had a shuffle to it.
Rights to the original song by Dead or Alive were pre-cleared as "interpretation".
A lot of similar production style as with the previous three.  Lot of chopping up and layering of tracks, etc.
Used a Kaossilator and a calculator at the beginning and adjusted the signals.
General notes:

Recommends keeping your ego out of the studio.  Best ideas should be accepted, regardless who presents them.
Does not use midi or soft synths.  Prefers to record external synth audio and then mess with the wave patterns.
Uses Pro Tools as a sampler.  Does a lot of cutting-up of notes and tunes/de-tunes as-needed.
Will sometimes manually adjust vocals to make them line up.
Uses a plug in called Vocal Line that analyzes and lines up multiple vocal tracks.
Early on, he would fly out to LA on his own dime to try to get a break.  Got frustrated trying to get his tracks out to people, so started doing a lot of work on his own.  Was fortunate to be part of the Saturday Night Live band, which helped him as a self-publisher.
Uses his management company to arrange for singers.
Usually shies away from working with TV stars, since they can't do time for promotions.
If you're starting out, make sure it sounds amazing.
Recommends leaving lyrics "open" when targeting a demo.
Has seen a number of songs that have been cut or passed up go on to become hits via other outlets.
Thinks Pro Tools is better than Logic for final product.
The Pro Tools tracks are generally what gets sent to the master / mixer.
Uses a pre-fab master settings when in production, and sends off for proper mastering afterwards.  Likes "smiley curve", "L3 ultra" or "extreme analog" settings, and sometimes pulls the ceiling down.
Did "Since You've Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkston.

Axel

I remember that I watched this session. Did they remove it at some point then I guess?

nznexus

Gino

Hey Nexus, I was on your youtube channel, and I noticed that the stargate ascap video is missing the lasts questions :P could you upload the missing part? thx!

nznexus

Quote from: Gino on February 14, 2014, 09:58:34 PM
Hey Nexus, I was on your youtube channel, and I noticed that the stargate ascap video is missing the lasts questions :P could you upload the missing part? thx!

no.. i cant. i lost my stargate video during a harddrive crash

Gino

Oh, sad!

Well thanks for sharing those 5 anyway! Super interesting