• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Kick drum question.....

Started by georg_e, July 30, 2014, 01:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

georg_e

Can anyone tell me what (approximately) type of kick drum sound is in "Nothing in This World"?  http://www.mp3olimp.net/paris-hilton-nothing-in-this-world/      I'm working on a midtempo pop song, and I want to have the engineer find this kind of sound on Pro Tools, but I have no idea what to call it. I just love the crunchy kind of sound this has, and how it cuts through and makes you want to dance!   Thanks.  (You can just click "Play" on this link, no need to download)

j.fco.morales

It's nothing special. It's not even layered.

You can find these drums almost everywhere.

georg_e

Quote from: j.fco.morales on July 30, 2014, 07:16:33 PM
It's nothing special. It's not even layered.

You can find these drums almost everywhere.
OK  thanks.  Maybe it's just that the groove on this song is so good, and recorded so well.......

AlexanderLaBrea

Okay first of all, in regards to this being a Dr. Luke production, the sound is to almost 100% certainty layered... Some kicks are more obviously layered than others, but the end result of a well-layered kick is that it sounds like an entity which makes it very hard to determine if it is layered and how.
In this case, the kick has some room on it which means that Luke has taken maybe 3 (at least) different kicks, one with low end sub frequencies, one with good top end (low cutted) and one live sounding kick (also low cutted) and treated these together.
It's a fairly bottom-heavy kick where the main frequency peak probably is around 50hz, maybe even lower. Indeed, as morales said, you can find similar kicks as this one in most good sample packs. Try Vengeance Pop or something like that and try and find a kick with a lot of low end energy, one live kick and if you need, a good attacky top kick. Send all to an aux-track and add further EQ and a little compression. As you said yourself, "crunch" is not uncommon on kicks, a little distortion can definitely help bring a kick forward in the mix.

AlexanderLaBrea

Oh and also, there is not a lot of bass competing with the kick in the mix here, which helps the kick stand out.

georg_e

Quote from: AlexanderLaBrea on July 30, 2014, 11:13:52 PM
Oh and also, there is not a lot of bass competing with the kick in the mix here, which helps the kick stand out.
Very good point about the bass......hmmm,  my track has quite alot of bass, so your comment will help me maybe rethink my going for this kind of super out-front kick sound.  There may be a clash........my track needs boosting on the kick as it is now (it's too low) but may have to take it up a little at a time, until it starts to muddy everything.

Thanks for the all the rest of your points in the other post about layering, etc.  Helps alot :D

J_A24

Quote from: georg_e on July 30, 2014, 11:44:14 PM
       Very good point about the bass......hmmm,  my track has quite alot of bass, so your comment will help me maybe rethink my going for this kind of super out-front kick sound.  There may be a clash........my track needs boosting on the kick as it is now (it's too low) but may have to take it up a little at a time, until it starts to muddy everything.

Thanks for the all the rest of your points in the other post about layering, etc.  Helps alot :D
Alex is spot on.

I think you're boosting the volume of your kick too much, which usually means that your sample alone is not good enough. This is exactly why layering is important. If you really like a kick sample, just figure out what you really like from it and filter it. The most important thing in a mix is for everything to be in it's place volume-wise. Sometimes, you don't listen what's over-bearing right away.

Edit: Also try sidechaining your bass. Considering the context of your song of course.

georg_e

Quote from: J_A24 on July 31, 2014, 03:37:12 AM
Alex is spot on.

I think you're boosting the volume of your kick too much, which usually means that your sample alone is not good enough. This is exactly why layering is important. If you really like a kick sample, just figure out what you really like from it and filter it. The most important thing in a mix is for everything to be in it's place volume-wise. Sometimes, you don't listen what's over-bearing right away.

Edit: Also try sidechaining your bass. Considering the context of your song of course.
Thanks, all good points too -- appreciate the help!

j.fco.morales

I agree with you guys, but you're getting way too technical and I think georg_e is talking about the overall "feeling" of the drums.

Am I right? If I don't, forget it :)

Adam B

That's almost an old school trance kick -and there's almost no fx on it either. Lazy production if ya ask me..

B Steady

Btw, why is George allowed to post this link? Or did turnaround just not see this yet?
Vila i frid Dag

Adam B

a little compression and eq on this one and you can get pretty close I think http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/84746586/file.html

georg_e

Quote from: Adam B on August 05, 2014, 05:31:58 PM
a little compression and eq on this one and you can get pretty close I think http://www42.z*ppyshare.com/v/84746586/file.html
Cool, thanks , I'll check it out when I get home later :-)

georg_e

Quote from: Adam B on August 05, 2014, 05:31:58 PM
a little compression and eq on this one and you can get pretty close I think http://www42.z*ppyshare.com/v/84746586/file.html
Hey........tried it but your link only partially copied as clickable on here....can you post it again? (copy/paste didn't work for me) Thanks!

Adam B

i instead of *
I think the forum removes links where material could be posted